Talk

Advanced search

to think this is an unreasonable name to give a child?

(41 Posts)
ilovemyhens Sat 15-Jan-11 09:31:22

A very well known American Whisky, first name Jack confused?

Kid was about 6.

sad

To me, this is just plain unreasonable.

Decorhate Sat 15-Jan-11 09:35:53

Is it the surname or middle name which is Daniels?

ilovemyhens Sat 15-Jan-11 09:36:29

Surname confused

stoppinchingthedummy Sat 15-Jan-11 09:36:35

No not unless your an alchi - my ds first name is Jack and we contemplated daniel for a middle name due to it being a family name but then decided it could maybe set him up to be an alchi so didnt!!

ilovemyhens Sat 15-Jan-11 09:37:14

I heard it called out at the doctors the other day and was like wtf?

Chil1234 Sat 15-Jan-11 09:37:25

Doesn't this depend on the child? Some people with memorable names grow up pretty resilient and even thrive on the attention. Others get fed up with the mickey-taking and opt to change their name eventually. Famous England wicket keeper Jack Russell and former England rugby international Austin Healey didn't struggle with being named after a breed of dog or model of car....

fruitstick Sat 15-Jan-11 09:37:42

I know 2 of them hmm

ilovemyhens Sat 15-Jan-11 09:39:48

I suppose some of them could like it. It's not something I'd do personally. It sounded pretty stupid when I heard it.

ilovemyhens Sat 15-Jan-11 09:40:41

Alcohol is a pretty sad thing to call your child after confused

altinkum Sat 15-Jan-11 09:42:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

5inthebed Sat 15-Jan-11 09:43:37

I know of twins called Jack and Daniel.Now that is mean.

whatdoiknowanyway Sat 15-Jan-11 09:43:38

Mixed on this. It's a shame if you really like a name and it's already 'taken' in a branded kind of way. Should you not use it or go ahead anyway?
DD's name is case in point. We found a name we loved. Trouble was, combined with her surname it made the name of an extremely famous actor - only reversed (his surname her first name and vice versa).
We decided to go ahead anyway, got a few comments when she was born about how she was destined for a life on the stage and then.... nothing.
No one makes the connection now, no one cares. It's her name and the 'brand' connection just doesn't matter.

edam Sat 15-Jan-11 09:44:53

Same reason you'd think twice about calling a girl Mercedes (perfectly respectable Spanish name nabbed by car manufacturers).

Deciduousblonde Sat 15-Jan-11 09:45:06

I was going to say the same thing, altinkum!

The name Jack Daniels is a name first, and a drink second. It's rather like saying someone who has called their child Harley has named them after a motorbike..err..the name was there before the bike??!!!

You would only be naming the child after a whiskey if that was your actual intention.

Mummy2Bookie Sat 15-Jan-11 09:48:01

No I don't think it is. Dd has an usual name ( not alcohol related) and were always told what a beautiful name she has. I guess this is slightly different though.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 15-Jan-11 09:50:23

It could be worse

eg. calling a little girl Bacardi Breezer wink

fishtankneedscleaning Sat 15-Jan-11 20:14:06

Or Vodka Shot

ChickensFlyingUnderTheRadar Sat 15-Jan-11 20:16:28

<tries to work out whatdoiknow's DD's name>

TheMonster Sat 15-Jan-11 20:18:01

Maybe they didn't realise. Or maybe the mother has remarried and the child has taken step-father's name. I am just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt...

exexpat Sat 15-Jan-11 20:20:10

I know a Johnnie Walker who actually chose the name himself. But John Walker is a very normal name...

MadamDeathstare Sat 15-Jan-11 20:20:55

roses42 Sat 15-Jan-11 20:21:37

FGS Its up to the parents to call their kids what they want, who are you to judge?

Does this affect you personally?

MadamDeathstare Sat 15-Jan-11 20:22:25

littleomar Sat 15-Jan-11 20:22:32

the whisky has an apostrophe in it (ie named after one jack daniel, not jack daniels). so not the same name.

there are far worse things you could be named after. my DH has been working his way down a bottle of bourbon called Pappy Van Winkle. now that would be bad.

MorticiaAddams Sat 15-Jan-11 20:22:33

My cousin went to school with a Wayne King or Kerr (sorry can't remember which!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: