Talk

Advanced search

or if we put collection only.

(47 Posts)
theevildead2 Fri 14-Jan-11 21:43:00

That is should be collection by the person buying only?

Dh has put something on ebay for sale, we knew it was only going to be a couple of quid when it sold. It went for £2.70 in the end, we asked for "collection only" and cash on collection.

Firstly the person pays the 2.70 through paypal which seemd a bit crap because now we have to pay additional fees on something that we're only making 2.70 on anyway. (we really just didn't want to waste it buy binning it) and then we get an email informing us that the person isn't local live half way across the country and will be sending a courier to pick it up! He didn't ask btw he told us.

If you do cash on collection I say when I want you to come to my house to pick it up

If a courier comes to pick it up won't they give me a "window" for when they will come?

WHy should I sit home all day because this guy can't read.

stewmaker Fri 14-Jan-11 21:45:00

i would cancel the transaction and resell it as the buyer has not kept to the conditions of sale.....

charliesmommy Fri 14-Jan-11 21:47:15

Refund them the money.

I know its only £2.70, but unless you can prove trackable postage they can claim it back.

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND.....

However, its perfectly reasonable for someone to arrange a courier, (I have had this happen many times, but the buyer has always emailed me prior to the end of the auction to check that this was ok). The collection by courier will be trackable in the case of paypal disputes... which for £2.70 isnt that much of a big deal.

Mingg Fri 14-Jan-11 21:48:50

Yes, YABNU unless you actually stated the buyer personally must collect. If you wanted cash on collection why did you have PayPal as an option?

TheMonster Fri 14-Jan-11 21:48:52

Give them a chance to say when it will be collected. Then ask for a specific time rather than a day between 7am and 6pm. Then, when they can't do that, cancel it.

TheMonster Fri 14-Jan-11 21:49:18

YOu have to have Paypal as an option.

emmyloulou Fri 14-Jan-11 21:49:49

I'd refund him and tell him no. YANBU.

You now have to package it and wait around for a bloody courier, time is money!

The one time I did this, I asked the seller first.

FabbyChic Fri 14-Jan-11 21:50:18

Do you want a neg? By refunding him you could get one. Do it properly message them and advise that unfortunately you have commitments and cannot be avaialble for a courier. See what they say.

theevildead2 Fri 14-Jan-11 21:50:23

that's what I think stewmaker! Dh doesn't seem to agree with me.

Yeah, I would have no problem charliesmummy if they had been in touch before sale and it was worth it to us (more than 2.70 I suppose) to wait in for a courier! I'm just thinking they will try and say we'll be at your house tuesday between 9 am and 9 pm...

emmyloulou Fri 14-Jan-11 21:51:51

You can get a neg removed btw, as he hasn't kept to the conditions of sale.

One neg is no biggie anyway, open another account.

theevildead2 Fri 14-Jan-11 21:52:23

FabbyChic can i get negged for that? I thought it would just cancel the transaction. Could I raise it with Ebay to get it removed? Well tbf Dh has a quite good rating so shouldn't make a differenc

theevildead2 Fri 14-Jan-11 21:52:50

xpost with emmie

FabbyChic Fri 14-Jan-11 21:54:06

A buyer can neg you for anything! As he has already paid you cannot file a dispute and the only way to get out of the transaction is to mutually agree to cancel.

eBay won't remove it, they could report you for being a non performing seller too, but you could dispute that.

Just contact them and say you are only available at weekends and they would have to send a courier at a specific time i.e sat 12 to 2 or you are out etc., see how you get on.

Nothing is worth the hassle for 2.70!

Mingg Fri 14-Jan-11 21:54:20

What condition has the buyer not complied with?

MumdiddyMum Fri 14-Jan-11 21:54:46

Cant you just make sure the courier comes on a day when you are in anyway? If they say between 9 and 9 you are well within your rights to say its inconvenient

emmyloulou Fri 14-Jan-11 21:56:22

If postal options are collection only, and they can't collect and neg you for not sending, you can remove it, done it before.

Pancakeflipper Fri 14-Jan-11 21:57:40

Mooches in to nose - what did they buy for £2.70 that they want to courier?

theevildead2 Fri 14-Jan-11 21:58:20

Collection only. I never agreed to sit around and wait for a courier mingg

CameronCook Fri 14-Jan-11 21:59:10

TBH having to securely pack something up (and source the materials to do so) would really piss me off for such a small amount.

What happens if it gets damaged in transit? Will they blame your packing?

theevildead2 Fri 14-Jan-11 22:02:17

No idea cameron. I think I am just particulary annoyed because they didnt ask before,... and didn't even ask after. They informed us.

emmyloulou Fri 14-Jan-11 22:02:43

Exactly cook, so not worth it for £2.70.

It's a fucking cheek tbh, I'd take the neg on the chin and relist, but like I say ebay removed mine when this happened. Especially, time, cost, more so if damaged in transit.

The one time I asked a seller this and arranged a courier, I paid extra to have it collected at their suitable time and sent a fiver via pp for his packaging time. He still had the original box, op may not have anything suitable.

theevildead2 Fri 14-Jan-11 22:12:54

I think the power of Mumsnet is working over Dh's "just get on with it" nature.

Think we will take the neg if we get one and complain to ebay.

FabbyChic Fri 14-Jan-11 22:14:32

Once a buyer has paid they can leave a neg.

YOu offered collection only and they will be collecting albeit not in person.

emmyloulou Fri 14-Jan-11 22:18:40

The thing is, it all gets messy if it's damaged in transit, you'll be expected to refund via ebay and you can't claim as you didn't request the courier.

Only £2.70 but chances are it will just be so much hassle.

Like I say been there before, I took the neg on the chin not expecting it to be removed, argued it and it was so it's what I'd do.

Ebay are a law unto themselves anyhoo.

BonzoDooDah Fri 14-Jan-11 22:25:25

Don't you have to package something up for a courier? Whereas a collection you just hand it over? I wouldn't be fagged doing that for the £2.70 either. Cheeky feckers!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: