Talk

Advanced search

To feel park staff could have backed me up?

(11 Posts)
tinierclanger Fri 14-Jan-11 17:33:35

Sorry- it's another dog thread.
Went to the park this pm with DS. We'd just arrived when I saw a guy coming up the path with a dog not on lead. He was chatting to a member of the park staff.

The dog ran over and bounded about, ran up to a little girl and tried to grab her stick, the mother was looking a bit worried and the dog owner was doing the 'don't worry, he's friendly' bit. Dog then ran over to us and the owner said the same thing to us. I said, quite neutrally, 'dogs are meant to be on a lead in this park'. He asked park guy if this was right and park guy just muttered and shook his head. I said there are signs
up.

A bit more disagreement and then park guy says 'oh, just put him on the lead' in a very disgruntled way. Owner then goes off with dog and park guy is telling me how there are always LOADS of dogs off the lead and how he couldn't possibly speak to all the owners.

Just feel a bit aggrieved about the whole thing. I said I didn't expect him to be the dog police. But he could have been a bit more supportive as I was in the right.

wintersnow Fri 14-Jan-11 17:34:33

YADNBU

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Fri 14-Jan-11 17:35:58

What an idiot

Yadnbu

ditavonteesed Fri 14-Jan-11 17:36:08

here we go again.

bubbleOseven Fri 14-Jan-11 17:36:51

YANBU - if there is a sign saying "dogs on leads please" and as person is employed to ensure that people in the park behave correctly then he bloody well should have done his job.

tinierclanger Fri 14-Jan-11 17:40:27

The thing is, I don't want to be confrontational and it did leave me all nervous and shaky saying something so a bit of support would not have gone amiss.

The signs are not clear enough.

greenbananas Fri 14-Jan-11 17:45:41

Sounds like the park attendant did not handle this very well. I would ring the local parks department, explain what happened and ask them to make the signs clearer so that everybody knows what the situation is.

(Although what with public spending cuts, they probably have not got the funds for new signs at the moment.)

tinierclanger Fri 14-Jan-11 17:48:39

I think I might do that. If they just moved them a bit it would help. I won't mention the details though as I don't really want the guy dropped in it. Even though I think he was saying something about me to dog man as we left.

smileyfacestar Fri 14-Jan-11 18:23:07

YANBU, the guy working in the park should definately backed you up. I am sick of dogs bounding up to my children when we are out for a walk. I know most dogs are harmless but how do you know what is going to happen?

PeeringIntoTheWintryVoid Fri 14-Jan-11 18:50:44

If there were signs up in the park, then YADNBU. And I say that as a devoted dog-lover. The parks employee wasn't doing his job.

herbietea Fri 14-Jan-11 18:55:04

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now