Talk

Advanced search

To dislike The Guardian newspaper?

(27 Posts)
wintersnow Fri 14-Jan-11 17:05:04

Mainly because I find it has a fairly smug derisive undertone and is quite boring

defineme Fri 14-Jan-11 17:08:58

Which paper do you like?
Do you dislike weekday Guardian or Saturday or both?

I think you may well BVU because I think the breadth of reportage stands up to any other broadsheet.

If you just said the saturday family section I'd support you, but i think it's a bit smug of you to dismiss the whole paper as smug.

wintersnow Fri 14-Jan-11 17:11:35

No, I do actually read the news in the weekday Guardian, it's more the family section & Saturday Guardian I have issues with!

QueenOfFlamingEverything Fri 14-Jan-11 17:12:14

Don't buy it then [shrug]

I rather like it.

Not the lifestyle bits or the ridiculous fashion pages or indeed the Family section [barf], but the actual news reporting is top banana IMO.

GandalfyCarawak Fri 14-Jan-11 17:12:53

I think it's really very good.

wintersnow Fri 14-Jan-11 17:13:07

Ah yesm, the clothes on the fashion pages are just ridiculously expensive

QueenOfFlamingEverything Fri 14-Jan-11 17:13:52

Oh well YANBU about that.

They should introduce a saturday Guardian that only has the news and costs a % of the price of the one full of fashion and interviews with slebs.

narkypuffin Fri 14-Jan-11 17:14:06

Not at all unreasonable. Personal choice. Why do you read it though?

I think all weekend supplements have smug parent/family type articles in though. It's the law.

Takeresponsibility Fri 14-Jan-11 17:15:11

Used to get it - beacause it was the only crossword I could do. Couldn't stand the trendy leftie articles, the ink that covered your fingers and the spelling....

LookToWindward Fri 14-Jan-11 17:15:28

It's basically the other side of the Daily Mail but in a nicer suit...

narkypuffin Fri 14-Jan-11 17:16:36

I read it online.

Does anyone know when the fashion editor's lips exploded BTW. I don't usually watch her 'how to wear' clips but saw one yesterday and I was worried she might need an epi pen.

sjm123 Fri 14-Jan-11 17:16:38

I don't think it's unreasonable to like or dislike a newspaper (unless it's the DM), it's down to personal taste.

I personally love The Guardian, especially the Guide on a Saturday. Though it was better with Charlie Brooker's screen burn bit

inchhighprivateeye Fri 14-Jan-11 17:17:54

I like much about the paper as a whole, but why is the Family section so bad? So many 'articles' are just extracts from boring books you would never want to read. Smug men scratching their beards about why they are a crap dad. yawn yawn yawn.

poppyknot Fri 14-Jan-11 17:17:56

I dislike the Daily Mail and find it [all sortts of adjectives] but I don't think IABU at all.

OTheHugeManatee Fri 14-Jan-11 17:20:26

I don't like the Guardian.

But then I don't buy it, so <also shrug>

giyadas Fri 14-Jan-11 17:21:05

I like the guardian during the week but have stopped buying it at the weekend. It's just clothes I'm never going to wear, wines I'll never drink, food I'll never eat etc. Inconsequential smug crap.
Queenofflamingeverything is spot on, they need a lite version which just does news.

bibbitybobbityhat Fri 14-Jan-11 17:25:06

I am a Guardian reader, but the Family Section usually makes me want to smash things. I never look at the fashion pages properly, although it has filtered into my consciousness that they do show older and old people (albeit very thin ones) in their shoots which is kind of pleasing.

JamieLeeCurtis Fri 14-Jan-11 17:45:53

I only buy it at the weekend, and sometimes it makes me want to smash things

<masochist>

Scrumpet Fri 14-Jan-11 17:49:14

I can't cope without my daily crossword, and it's not the same doing it online. Years of learning the styles of the setters are not going to go to waste now! shock grin

I can't find much to read in the saturday version though sad (apart from Lucy Mangan smile ) and I don't like the new big review section in the Observer, but I still buy them because if I don't get my crossword I melt into a puddle on the floor.

OldMumsy Fri 14-Jan-11 17:50:00

YANBU it's pretentious pants. Pretty much all the papers are. I can just about bear the Telegraph sometimes.

JamieLeeCurtis Fri 14-Jan-11 17:51:39

I do like most of it, but I do think the fashion is a wasted opportunity. They just stick the elderly woman in something ridiculous a much younger model-type would wear, because she's thin, but not let her smile (I'm only 41 and I know an ageing face looks better with a smile on it)

needafootmassage Fri 14-Jan-11 17:52:14

Oh dear, I like the family section. blush

Mssoul Fri 14-Jan-11 17:52:27

I've been surprised by the guardian lately but i now think it is really rather good. I think it was guardian readers I disliked all along grin

Agree that the news is great but the family/fashion is bleurgh. Oh, and the Observer is good too.

mayorquimby Fri 14-Jan-11 17:53:01

Nah I hate it as well.

Honeybee79 Fri 14-Jan-11 17:54:41

You don't have to read it!

The lifestyle stuff sometimes grates on me, particularly in the weekend magazine, but the weekday Guardian is always excellent imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now