Talk

Advanced search

To refuse to sign something which I don't know is true?

(10 Posts)
magicmummy1 Fri 14-Jan-11 08:44:36

Had dd's new bed delivered this morning. Paid extra for "white glove delivery service" so that they would take it upstairs to dd's bedroom and not just dump it at the front door.

When they arrived, they initially said that they couldn't bring it inside, but when I objected to this, they changed their minds. However, they insisted that I sign a form saying that there was no damage to my property before they would bring it in.

I pointed out that I couldn't possibly know that there was no damage before they had actually been inside, and so I said that I would sign it when they left. They refused point blank to do anything, and when I rang the customer service line, there was no response - doesn't open till 9am.

The two delivery guys insisted that they were acting in accordance with company instructions, and said that they would have to pay out of their own pockets if any damage was done. I ended up signing the form against my better judgement, but wrote on it that I didn't actually know if any damage had been done and was being forced to sign the form in advance in order to get the delivery service that I had paid for.

Thankfully, no damage was done but I am bloody furious. AIBU to think that I shouldn't be asked to sign something like this? And would you complain to the company? And if so, to the delivery company or the company from which I bought the bed?

angry

3littlefrogs Fri 14-Jan-11 08:48:34

Trading standards.

I had this happen to me - the man stood over me and refused to leave until i had signed the form. I too wrote that I was signing under duress, but unfortunately still ended up with months of wrangling.

I was alone in the house with a baby at the time and was really scared.

MissAnneElk Fri 14-Jan-11 08:49:52

YANBU. Complain to the company you bought the bed from. Makes it even worse that you paid extra for this 'service'.

BlueCat2010 Fri 14-Jan-11 08:51:36

YADNBU!

Definately take it further - if nothing is done they will just continue to do this bullying. angry

Sarsaparilllla Fri 14-Jan-11 08:52:14

YANBU, complain in writing, that's ridiculous. Did they actually take it upstairs as you'd paid for or just bring it inside?

soccerwidow Fri 14-Jan-11 08:57:03

I think this is fairly standard practice, I have had to do this for a washing machine, fridge and sofa.

The delivery men have unwrapped the packaging before bringing the goods into my 1st floor flat and I have had to sign that there was no damage before they brought it in.

My worry is always that the goods could be damaged when bringing them in as we have one external and one internal staircase and I had already signed to say that they were not damaged on arrival.

The wording that you have to sign is very clever.

The washing machine happened to have a dent before it was brought into my property so I refused it. I am not sure how easy it would of been to refuse it once it was in my property.

moneysavingexpert forum is always good for finding out the facts about this type of thing.

soccerwidow Fri 14-Jan-11 08:58:10

oh sorry - I read your OP wrong, they wanted you to sign that they had made no damage to your property - not the goods!

ENormaSnob Fri 14-Jan-11 09:15:49

Yanbu

TattyDevine Fri 14-Jan-11 09:52:01

I'm a complete bitch about things like this. If they want me to sign that the goods are in good condition, I make them wait whilst I painstakingly unpack them. Otherwise I refuse.

I can see you were between a rock and a hard place because to get the service you paid for you had to forfeit any right to any damage to your home (scraped walls etc)

This would have annoyed me a bit but in reality, if a delivery guy scraped my wall, I would be unlikely to claim through the company anyway because it would be just such a flaming big hassle when its easy enough for me to touch up a wall, if that makes sense.

Its not to say this should be acceptable for you too, and its a personal thing, but I tend to ask myself "what's the worst thing that can happen" - generally its that they'll scrape a wall or take a chunk out of something.. Generally they are careful enough that this wont happen anyway.

I'd be interested to know where you stand legally, Consumer Direct would probably be able to advise. It is rather annoying this kind of thing.

magicmummy1 Fri 14-Jan-11 13:08:20

tatty, funnily enough, I'd have been willing to sign something to say that I accepted any damage to the property at my own risk. what I objected to was signing to say that there was no damage when they hadn't even finished the job that I'd paid for - even though it said on the form itself that any damage should be reported.

Have phoned the customer service line & am waiting for them to call me back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now