Talk

Advanced search

To not want to be woken up every morning by showering husband?

(65 Posts)
Nuyorica Fri 14-Jan-11 07:13:16

What do you think about the following?

My husband gets up at 5.45 every day as he commutes to London.

He showers in our only bathroom which is opposite our bedroom and next to our younger daughter's bedroom.

The shower makes a high pitched noise and wakes me up every morning and our youngest up about 2/3 of the time. Without this interruption we would all happily sleep until around 7.30.

Am I being unreasonable to suggest that he showers the night before? He thinks so......

LindyHemming Fri 14-Jan-11 07:16:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tortington Fri 14-Jan-11 07:19:45

fix the shower

DaraMahini Fri 14-Jan-11 07:21:12

YABU. We sweat the most at night. The idea of not showering in the morning is gross.

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Fri 14-Jan-11 07:21:37

get a new shower
no reason it should make a whining noise
and normal water falling on shower tray is very much like white noise so wont disturb you

you dont have another shower to choose from I dont htink its fair for you to deny him his choice of showering to start the day if he doens't want to not

LindyHemming Fri 14-Jan-11 07:22:51

Nuyorica Fri 14-Jan-11 07:28:09

He rarely smells at all - not a sweat issue! We do need to get the shower sorted, it's true, but it's also the accompanied crashing about that wakes us up....he is just one of those people that can't do anything quietly.

mamaloco Fri 14-Jan-11 07:31:00

Well at least you are lucky he doesn't put the radio on as well like mine! grin
But yes YABU as even I need a shower in the morning (just to wake up properly and feel "clean")

empirestateofmind Fri 14-Jan-11 07:39:40

Surely this means your DH gets one and a half hours sleep less than you five nights a week, unless he goes to bed before you. Another solution (as well as fixing the shower) is for you to get up earlier. Unless you really need all the extra sleep. Personally I would want to get up and at least share a cup of tea and a chat with DH before he set off.

TrinityMotherOfRhinos Fri 14-Jan-11 07:40:32

I agree with empire too

Emo76 Fri 14-Jan-11 07:41:33

YABU

Same here and it is a bit annoying but he is getting up to go to work! Fix the shower. I'd hate to go to work without having had a shower.

RailwayChild Fri 14-Jan-11 07:41:54

YAB a tad U

Fix the shower. It's not your DH fault he has to work. I doubt he chooses to leave the house at that time.

ModreB Fri 14-Jan-11 07:42:48

Use earplugs.

altinkum Fri 14-Jan-11 07:43:04

bubbles4 Fri 14-Jan-11 07:44:07

If he cant do anything quietly then he is going to wake you whether he showers or not.

Chandon Fri 14-Jan-11 07:47:07

yabu

gorionine Fri 14-Jan-11 07:49:22

Same as Empire.

I wake up at 5.30 with Dh and have a nice quiet cup of coffee with him.

fatpantsandgladrags Fri 14-Jan-11 07:49:56

YABU. We have the same issue in our house. DH gets in at 6am and the shower wakes me and DD1......it doesn't have a high pitched noise, it's just a powerful shower and the noise of the water hitting the bottom of the bath sounds like niagra!

I would never ask him not to shower though! I know I couldn't go out for the day having not had my morning shower and DH is the same.

lukewarmmama Fri 14-Jan-11 07:52:56

Yanbu

We both do showers the night before whilst the kids are bathing, on nights before work days. DH does tend to look a bit fred flinstone towards 4pm of the work day, but he's ok with that.

Yes he is going to work, but why does that mean his needs are greater than everyone elses? Everyone needs sleep, and surely he doesn't want his child being sleepy and grumpy all day (and you!)?

Ormirian Fri 14-Jan-11 07:55:05

Bloody hell, poor bloke! He has to get up at the crack of dawn, the least you could do is allow him to get a shower. I can't function when I get up for work without a shower.

Go to bed earlier and get up with him.

pozzled Fri 14-Jan-11 07:56:38

Everyone needs sleep but it doesn't need to be in the morning, they could all go to bed earlier.

I actually do shower in the evening when I'm working but it's so much nicer to start the day with a shower. OP, consider yourself lucky that you're the one lying in bed while he is getting ready. It's no fun getting up over an hour before everybody else.

bubbleOseven Fri 14-Jan-11 07:56:39

YABU fix the shower.

GoodDaysBadDays Fri 14-Jan-11 07:57:33

yabu

My dh gets up between 4.30 and 5.30 and this usually wakes dd. Sometimes she goes back to sleep but sometimes not but as others have said he is getting up for work and should be allowed to get himself ready!

Incidentally, he never wakes me as it takes a bomb to wake me! blush it's dd i hear (or him waking me to tell me dd is up) On the days dd and I do go back to sleep, I sleep through my alarm, without fail, every time and the lovely bugger phones me constantly until I answer in a coherent manner to make sure i'm up!

Fix the shower!

InWithTheITCrowd Fri 14-Jan-11 08:00:11

Aw, your poor DH. I couldn't cope in the mornings without a shower.
FWIW, my DH gets up at 3am and leaves the house at 3:30am, and our shower is in between ours and DS's room. We've just got used to it, and although he does sometimes disturb us both a bit, we both go back to sleep quite easily as it's just become part of our routine.
I'm just glad I have a DH who's prepared to work so hard and get up so early to help to fund our lifestyle!

IloveJudgeJudy Fri 14-Jan-11 08:01:27

YABU. Fix the shower. It's horrible to start the day without a shower. Also, if he's doing such a long day that he has to get up so early then he definitely will need a shower in the morning. Eeuw to going to work after all that sweating in the night.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: