Talk

Advanced search

to find this strange??

(23 Posts)
picturerail Thu 13-Jan-11 22:13:57

A woman i work with is getting married this year & has had braces fitted to straighten her teeth saying "i thought i should get them sorted out for the photos." As far as I'm aware there's no magazine deal in place so WTF? I understand that this is her big day, she can do what she wants & obviously its nothing to me but I just don't get it - the cost, the discomfort & the dentistry! Isn't it a bit much? She's lived with the teeth for 30 plus years, her fiance proposed to her with them as they are & her parents & his parents are probably the only people likely to have the photos on display so why's she bothering??

ItsMeMo Thu 13-Jan-11 22:15:13

It might have been bothering her all her life. it it makes her feel less self concious on her big day then why not?

GeneralissimoVonBobbington Thu 13-Jan-11 22:15:25

YABU.

Maybe she's self-conscious about them and despite her loving DF's assurances, doesn't want to look back at the pictures for the next 30 years and wish she'd done something about it [shrug].

ItsMeMo Thu 13-Jan-11 22:15:39

IF IT

purplepidjin Thu 13-Jan-11 22:19:59

Mu aunt has had braces for two years. She will be 66 in May.

It's bloody weird, there's loads of stuff she can't eat confused

FabbyChic Thu 13-Jan-11 22:21:39

Id do the same in her position too. The pictures will be looked at for generations who would want shit teeth in them? Not me that's for sure.

blackeyedsusan Thu 13-Jan-11 22:23:14

what's it to do with you anyway?

yabu

roomonthebroom Thu 13-Jan-11 22:24:36

YABU i'm afraid.

I hate my teeth and would have something done to change them if I could be arsed had the time to spare for all the appointments. Maybe when I've retired...

hellymelly Thu 13-Jan-11 22:24:53

I had braces as an adult,I'd had them as a teen and after some bad dental work the teeth one side moved and my bite was way off,so lots of headaches,plus they were getting more and more wonky.It was unpleasant but I now have far less headaches and straighter teeth.My best friend has braces now,and it is the first time she has been migraine free for longer than a week in years and years.Hers were dealt with badly as a teenager,and so needed re-doing.I don't understand why its ok at 15 but not at 35? Why on earth not ?

BluddyMoFo Thu 13-Jan-11 22:26:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Onetoomanycornettos Thu 13-Jan-11 22:28:10

Another one here who would love to have braces and straight teeth, so she is not being unreasonable, you are!

Iwantscallops Thu 13-Jan-11 22:30:14

They are her teeth, not yours. Her self esteem, not yours

YABU

COCKadoodledooo Thu 13-Jan-11 22:33:05

Meh. Plenty of women lose weight etc for their wedding day, so why not.

YABU

NoWayNoHow Thu 13-Jan-11 22:41:36

YABU, you'll probably find that her teeth have always bothered her, but now that she's getting married, it's almost a catalyst for getting them fixed.

Firawla Thu 13-Jan-11 22:42:13

yabu dont see what is so strange about it, very understandable

my mum had them done ready for my brothers wedding photos and wasnt even her own wedding, so for your own big day even more understandable

picturerail Thu 13-Jan-11 22:46:20

onetoomanycornettos i wasn't asking if she was being unreasonable, i was asking if i was to find it strange. And as i said in my OP blackeyedsusan it's nothing to do with me, she can do as she likes, i just find it strange! Her teeth (she's only just had them fitted) aren't noticeably crooked or "goofy" to me but maybe as others have said it's a big thing to her. I had braces all the way through senior school & university & i'm still not 100% happy with my teeth but on my wedding day I didn't give them a second thought. I suppose i'm just a bit confused that weddings these days seem to be more about how you look in the photos than how you feel on the day!

BluddyMoFo Thu 13-Jan-11 22:53:44

caramelwaffle Thu 13-Jan-11 23:27:44

Yabu

lololizzy Fri 14-Jan-11 00:31:16

i don't blame her. My teeth were APPALLING as a child. Years of braces hell fixed them and now people say i have great teeth (if only they knew) If i hadn't, i 'd certainly never have a single smiling photo

ZillionChocolate Fri 14-Jan-11 00:37:26

I think I know where you're coming from picturerail. Of course they're her teeth and she should do what she likes with them, just like people can go on an extreme diet to look thinner in their wedding photos and then merrily let themselves go and put it all back on on honeymoon, it's just not for me. You can view it as symptomatic of the trend of a wedding themed photoshoot (rather than a wedding photographed) or you can accept that a wedding is a source of motivation with a fixed deadline.

Unless braces have improved since I had them as a teenager, they might function on the dieting front too - bloody hurt too much to eat when they were first fitted!

MadamDeathstare Fri 14-Jan-11 03:18:54

EllieDawn Sat 15-Jan-11 14:33:49

I think good for her for sorting her teeth out if they have been bothering her for ages. I have an issue with my ears which means that I never ever have my hair up, it always has to be down to cover them, I actually considered looking into the cost of getting them sorted out for my wedding so that I could have my hair pinned up but chickened out in the end. Although its something that I have lived with for almost 30 years I would love to get them done but I am pretty sure I am too old to get it done on the NHS and can't justify the cost of having it done privately when there are things that have much higher priority with the house that need doing.

valiumredhead Sat 15-Jan-11 14:38:04

Isn't it just similar to losing a few stone pounds before your wedding , and wanting to look your best? The wedding might just be the push that helped her decide to get them done.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: