Talk

Advanced search

To ask for advice re Basques and corsets please?

(35 Posts)
twinkletweeter Thu 13-Jan-11 21:48:07

Hi my partner and I live a long way away from each other and we are soon meeting in a hotel for a dirty weekend long awaited chinwag.

He is in the forces and has been away so it's a bit special and I want to surprise him and buy a really nice basque or corset blush

Please can you recommend a good website? Figleaves is great but pricey and Ann Summers a little tacky I am a size 8-10 but have a 36DD bust.

Many thanks in advance.

hellymelly Thu 13-Jan-11 21:54:28

Well for a start if you are a size 8-10 I would hazzard a guess that you are in the wrong size bra,and actually need more like a 32F, but that aside I think with corsets in particular you do need to throw some cash at them,because the cheaper ones are not as good.It is also hard to get a corset that will fit above a D cup.Basques -may be easier to get something not too expensive,and you also have the suspenders for extra glamour.Have a look at Bravissimo,and do try a smaller back size/bigger cup,or go to one of their shops and get fitted.

FabbyChic Thu 13-Jan-11 21:55:41

Try eBay. LaSenza.

TattyDevine Thu 13-Jan-11 21:56:28

Bravissimo for something tasteful but probably not huge range, also try "Naturally Close" type home shopping catalogy websites for ample cup but not too expensive but fairly sexy stuff.

twinkletweeter Thu 13-Jan-11 21:58:36

Do you think? I was measured in M & S a while ago and they said I was a 34 D I think and I always had double cupping yuk.

36D seems to fit me okay but I can't wear cheaper underwear from New Look or anywear like that

Maybe I should get measured somewhere decent?

sparkle12mar08 Thu 13-Jan-11 21:58:41

Agree with hellymelly, if you are a size 8-10 there is no way you're in a 36 bra. No way. I'm a size 16 and a 36 is perfect for me, if not a little big in fact. She's right, get to a proper bra shop and get fitted properly. after that get a glass of wine and start surfing, I'm sure there must be lots of sites selling quality lingerie in your (correct) size. It could be great fun!

BuzzLightBeer Thu 13-Jan-11 22:02:34

I've been measured in 5 places and they all told me different. I wear a 34dd from the place I like, but a 34dd is too big in m&s and too small in La Senza. I think you just have to try on.

And I doubt you are a 36 at 8-10.

sparkle12mar08 Thu 13-Jan-11 22:03:15

Have you got a tape measure? Measure around your own rib cage, just underneath the bust - that should give you your chest band measurement. Then measure around the fullness of the bust and the difference between the two will give you your cupsize. When I was much slimmer I was a 32 F/G and loved it! My round the bust measurement was about 5-6 inches bigger than my chest band measurement.

bambiandthumper Thu 13-Jan-11 22:06:26

Myla and Agent Provacteur are lovely are definitely not tacky

If your near London or Cambridge Rigby and Peller are fab are will sort you out and measure you.

ScotlandR Thu 13-Jan-11 22:06:34

I got one from a cheap website a few months ago for a party (not the kind of party they're talking about in the other thread blush) and I was surprised by how good quality it was. I'll see if I can locate it in my email inbox, OP....

It was 'corsets UK' which you can find here

I paid about £18 for it, although the shipping was a b*tch!

Don't forget the stockings wink

sjm123 Thu 13-Jan-11 22:08:59

Try alternative/punk/metal/fetish type sites if you're after a real corset for a little less.

I have a wonderful fully steel boned underbust corset that I got a little while back (think it's either heavyred or lostwear make off the top of my head) and it cost me less than 40 quid in a sale

Ladyofthehousespeaking Thu 13-Jan-11 22:10:34

Really really love la senza

GeneralissimoVonBobbington Thu 13-Jan-11 22:13:59

Definitely La Senza. I take the point about not buying a cheap one, but you're only going to be in it for 5 minutes, aren't you wink

M and S had some nice ones at Christmas last year, actually.

I am blush to admit it, but when I lived in London and my DH lived miles away, I once went all the way to Paddington dressed only in a basque, knickers, stockings and high heels. Oh, and a very long and voluminous coat grin

Asteria Thu 13-Jan-11 22:19:00

I second ScotlandR's suggestion of the corsets uk option - they are brilliant! I wore one under a mac with stockings etc, for a fancy dress ball a couple of years ago. It was surprisingly good quality and was very well received when I got a little too merry and flashed everyone!

GeneralissimoVonBobbington Thu 13-Jan-11 22:22:27

Oooh pretty!

Kind of spoils the surprise though, if DH has to help me into it, as well as out of if, no?

GeneralissimoVonBobbington Thu 13-Jan-11 22:23:35

[Blush]

Ahem. The "ooh pretty" was at this, not at Asteria

QueeferSutherland Thu 13-Jan-11 22:29:11

Bollocks to getting measured.

Last time I was measured (in Debenhams) I was told I was an A cup.

Am sat here in an E.hmm

backwardpossom Thu 13-Jan-11 22:30:44

I'm size 10 and am a 32D so I doubt your back size is 36.

Zingylemontart Thu 13-Jan-11 22:32:35

Me too, QS. M&S reckoned A cup - currently comfy in a GG.

I second the vote for Bravissimo - if you can get to a shop, all the better.

Have fun wearing it (or not wearing it, IYKWIM!) blush

faeriefruitcake Thu 13-Jan-11 22:33:22

Fairy Goth mother brilliant or if you can get up to the top end of Camdon Market there are some great places.

here

femalevictormeldrew Thu 13-Jan-11 22:38:55

I bought two on ebay for my wedding - a full corset, and a "waspie" (one that goes around your waist only). It was more for the pull in effect than the lust effect. Never wore it as I reckoned I would have enough going on without being squeezed in all day. Also it looked like I had two basketballs under my chin (but I am quite a bit larger than you are!). Corset Boulevard was the name of the company I think, try looking them up on ebay

twinkletweeter Thu 13-Jan-11 22:49:26

Thank you all you are wonderful "desperately looking for the tape measure"!!!!!!!

Asteria Thu 13-Jan-11 22:50:42

shock why not Generalissimo?!! I'm gaaaaaawgeous!
<<shuffles off to inspect unwashed hair and large spot on chin>>

twinkletweeter Thu 13-Jan-11 22:54:08

Ok I measured directly under my boobs and it was 32 inches!!! Round the nipples is 38 what should I be wearing??!!!

I love you all xxxxx

twinkletweeter Thu 13-Jan-11 23:04:33

OMG Hellymelly how amazing are you that makes me a 32 E or F!!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: