Talk

Advanced search

I'll breastfeed where I bloody well want when my baby is hungry!

(278 Posts)
MsKLo Thu 13-Jan-11 20:33:48

Following on from another thread that got the old cogs whirring, I am always saddened by the fact that some people have a problem with women breastfeeding in public and expect bf mums to 'hide away' because it makes them feel uncomfortable.

I will always bf my baby where-ever and whenever she wants a feed and if someone doesn't like the fact that I am giving her amazing milk with amazing benefits they can do one!

<gets baps out to squirt all non -bf-believers>

grin

pascoe28 Thu 13-Jan-11 20:36:04

Bit aggressive?!

MsKLo Thu 13-Jan-11 20:38:29

bit tongue (or boob) in cheek pascoe!

Mists Thu 13-Jan-11 20:38:49

YANBU. Quite right too.

My DS is over three now and I still BF when and where I want to <whispers> which is now only at home in bed and only when he can catch me blush

reelingintheyears Thu 13-Jan-11 20:38:51

biscuit

NinkyNonker Thu 13-Jan-11 20:39:51

I just feed my baby. Never had any negative responses, never thought much about it till MN. Either side being aggressive won't help their cause. If there was a 'shrug' emoticon I'd use it.

Memoo Thu 13-Jan-11 20:40:52

I have never come across anyone on here who was against breastfeeding, let alone feeding in public

FairyTaleOfNewYork Thu 13-Jan-11 20:42:04

yanbu!!

have breastfed all of my 5 children. ds is a bit antsy at the breast atm (think small baby, huge breast situation), so have only fed him out once, because i've only actually been out once long enough to feed him iyswim.

Gemsy83 Thu 13-Jan-11 20:42:22

Oh here we go again MsKlo- bang that drum again it really helps your cause hmm

aPixieInMyCaramelLatte Thu 13-Jan-11 20:42:48

I did actually quirt someone with my milk once.

She came over to me with cat bums face in a cafe and was just about to talk to me (not sure what about) when ds1 unlatched and my milk went flying.

She stormed right off, grabbed her stuff and stomped out of the cafe.

I did say sorry, honest. blush

Haribojoe Thu 13-Jan-11 20:43:16

I feed my baby wherever and whenever, though must admit I've never done it in church, for some reason I feel that wouldn't be right confused, no idea why.

If people have a problem with it I'm not bothered. I've yet to encounter any comments/negativity but if I did would politely let people know that I am feeding my baby and there is nothing wrong with that.

aPixieInMyCaramelLatte Thu 13-Jan-11 20:43:50

squirt* someone even

Gemsy83 Thu 13-Jan-11 20:44:48

I couldnt give two shits who breastfeeds and who doesnt tbph- why the need for such an agressive and sanctimonious OP?

usualsuspect Thu 13-Jan-11 20:45:27

Good for you MsKLo ...have a medal

MsKLo Thu 13-Jan-11 20:47:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

madav Thu 13-Jan-11 20:47:44

I bf all of mine (6) for at least 2 years each. I never once had a negative comment (but I might just have one of those faces grin). Anyway, one time I was in Princes Street in Edinburgh, sat on a bench bf my 4th at the time and this lovely woman came and sat next to me and started talking whilst I was feeding DS. She was Swedish and explained it was lovely to see someone doing what I was doing because you saw it all the time in Sweden (brr, chilly) and she had never seen anyone here bfing (she was on extended holiday). She had bfed all four of hers and just wanted to congratulate me and hoped I would carry on. Didn't have the heart to tell her I had already bfed 3 before him.

I always fed my baby wherever I happened to be, and even when I asked for help (maybe a seat, or help in a cafe) everyone was very kind.

Btw my oldest is now 21 and youngest 6, so a bit of a time span for attitudes to change, but I never saw any of it.

GooseFatRoasties Thu 13-Jan-11 20:47:57

YANBU
Breastfed babies feed very frequently when they are young. It is best to do it on demand as this encourages a good milk supply. Expressing is hard at first when they are feeding so frequently. The official advice is to give breastmilk alone for the first 6 months.If you follow all the advice you end up needing to breastfeed everywhere. I wish people would understand this and be supportive.

MsKLo Thu 13-Jan-11 20:48:17

Poor gemsy doesnt seem to getb tongue in cheek humour

Ya for medal usualsuspect
I'll wear it with pride

usualsuspect Thu 13-Jan-11 20:48:26

You are better than all of us MsKLo ...mind that halo doesn't slip

madav Thu 13-Jan-11 20:48:59

Jeez I'm a slower typist than I thought smile

chocolatepuff Thu 13-Jan-11 20:49:53

why is it agressive and sanctimonious to be angry at those who make breastfeeding women feel bad in public?
if someone tutted/frowned etc at a bottle fed baby in public then that would piss me off too. unfortunately seeing breastfeeding isnt that common so it tends to sometimes attract judgement - totallt wrong and also makes me mad, its the most natural and lovely thing in the world

herbietea Thu 13-Jan-11 20:50:56

Message withdrawn

CarmenSanDiego Thu 13-Jan-11 20:51:11

YANBU smile

MsKLo Thu 13-Jan-11 20:51:21

aPixie

Love the fact you squirted her! Even if was accidental

I have had funny stares on occasion - eyeballing them till they look away works - I have a mean, mean look wink

zookeeper Thu 13-Jan-11 20:51:45

I have no problem with breastfeeding in public and having bf my three dcs have never had any problems from other people.

I do have a problem with people turning it into some sort of crusade though. [hmmm]

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: