Talk

Advanced search

It's not my DAY OFF!!!!

(65 Posts)
lal123 Thu 13-Jan-11 18:33:05

AIBU to be fed up with colleagues telling me to "enjoy my day off!" - I work part time, and every Tuesday and Thursday on my way out the door my work colleague says this to me. FFS - I've got 2 DC to look after - it's harder work at home with them some days than at work. Also - it's not as if I'm getting paid for those days..... Just makes me feel as if I'm not pulling my weight or something?

AgentZigzag Thu 13-Jan-11 18:34:39

I presume they are wishing they were not going into work, and still have all the same jobs to do when they get home?

WillYouDoTheDangFanjo Thu 13-Jan-11 18:36:21

YANBU

At least at work I can sit down for a good stretch of time!

tabulahrasa Thu 13-Jan-11 18:38:44

um, but it is your day off work?

noodle69 Thu 13-Jan-11 18:39:03

I say the afternoons I have off are my time off as they are as I dont have to work and only have my kids to look after. We all have kids at my place but know being at home with our own is a lot easier than being at work. I doubt these people mean to offend you.

lal123 Thu 13-Jan-11 18:40:34

Agent - no this one in particular is older lady - just herself and her husband to think off. I think she thinks I just sit in front of the telly all day

AnnoyingOrange Thu 13-Jan-11 18:44:12

perhaps she's trying to be pleasant?

I do enjoy my days off because my children are at school grin

tethersend Thu 13-Jan-11 18:44:58

Offer to swap. You won't have any takers grin

AgentZigzag Thu 13-Jan-11 18:45:35

Like noodles says, it's the freedom of (within reason) being able to choose what you do with the time you have off.

I can see what you're saying about it making you feel you're not pulling your weight, but you don't have to feel like that.

I'm sure it's just a friendly parting goodbye, some people say the same thing every. bloody. time. they say bye, annoying but it doesn't necessarily have any hidden meaning.

Unless you know different...

SerendipitousHarlot Thu 13-Jan-11 18:46:32

Blimey, talk about over-sensitive. You're off work - that's classed as a day off in my book. Should everyone stop saying 'have a good weekend' to people with children?

noodle69 Thu 13-Jan-11 18:48:55

exactly harlot. Its not like looking after your own children at home isnt a day off else otherwise that would be like saying you were working constantly and never got a day off even at the weekend once you have kids!

amidaiwish Thu 13-Jan-11 18:48:59

you are off, off work
she's not saying "enjoy your holiday" or "enjoy your relaxing day"

YABVU and stop being so sensitive/defensive

TheCrackFox Thu 13-Jan-11 18:49:12

I think you are being oversensitive.

FiveFeetTwo Thu 13-Jan-11 18:52:10

Your colleague is saying "enjoy your day off from your paid employment/this place" but probably doesn't feel the need to say it in full.

Really, you are being over sensitive and showing early signs of martyrdom grin

youarecallunts Thu 13-Jan-11 18:54:13

When I went part time, a couple of people used to gripe at me for "getting out of meetings" because "you parents have it so easy.

In the end, I had to explain that if my manager arranged meetings for when she knew I wasn't working then I would have to miss them because I couldn't afford to pay another days childcare to work a day I wasn't being paid to work.

But if they were so keen to be in my shoes, then they were more than welcome to take a 40% paycut and go part time too.

That shut them up.

Idiots.

penguin73 Thu 13-Jan-11 20:38:24

OOOh, I say this to my friend as she escapes....meaning 'have a nice day with your lovely family away from this madhouse' Never crossed my mind for one minute that she might take offence...confused

Catsmamma Thu 13-Jan-11 20:43:49

see penguin73....see what your thoughtlessness has done! wink

I work PT too...swan in at ten, out at four...give them all a cheery "don't work too hard, see ya tomorrow" as I leave

<evil laugh>

Mutt Thu 13-Jan-11 20:50:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Minshu Thu 13-Jan-11 20:51:40

I love having my "day off" with my DD (but there's only one of her, and she's very easy at the moment - sure it could change any time)... Sorry you don't feel the same way.

Firawla Thu 13-Jan-11 20:53:22

yabu, way oversensitive. they are saying it to be nice. it may be hard work but do you not enjoy your day off to get the chance spending time with your two dc then?? i really dont see the problem here

longdarktunnel Thu 13-Jan-11 20:57:42

It is your day off. Be glad you aren't being told to enjoy your holiday. As I remind my boss every week, it's not a holiday if you aren't being paid...but it is a day off

Beamur Thu 13-Jan-11 21:01:17

My colleagues know I come to work for a rest grin

flowery Thu 13-Jan-11 21:03:20

Agree you are being oversensitive. It is your day off work. Saying 'enjoy it' is just being nice, just as you might say 'enjoy your weekend' to someone regardless of whether they will be spending the time lazing around or running after kids.

stressheaderic Thu 13-Jan-11 21:06:08

I had this today too. Quietly locked my stuff in the cupboard and put on coat to slink out, got to the doorway and several colleagues looked up and went "ahhh bye, you lucky thing, enjoy your long weekend". Don't get me wrong, I love having the days off with DD (Mon and Fri) but still feel the need not to shout about it in work, almost guilty in a way, like I'm swanning in and out (which I suppose I am).

IloveJackWhite Thu 13-Jan-11 21:07:40

YANBU - it's not a paid day off, it's most likely harder work than being at work IYKWIM. She perhaps doesn't realise and is maybe trying to be nice though if you give her the benefit of the doubt?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: