Talk

Advanced search

To think that, overall, abortion serves men better than women.

(119 Posts)
holyShmoley Thu 13-Jan-11 09:42:44

and yes i can think of some examples where it most benefits the woman. But this refers to 'overall'

TrillianAstra Thu 13-Jan-11 09:43:46

YABU.

If there were no abortion, who would suffer the most? Women. Therefore women get the most benefit from the existence/availability of abortion.

expatinscotland Thu 13-Jan-11 09:44:49

No. I think it's of benefit to women when they have full control of their bodies and reproduction.

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Thu 13-Jan-11 09:45:47

agree with trill and expat.

RealityIsShaggingWithIntent Thu 13-Jan-11 09:46:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hatsybatsy Thu 13-Jan-11 09:46:39

YABU - what on earth are you saying?

Ridiculous post - if you want to come on here and make such outrageous statements then you need to fully expand on what you're saying.

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Thu 13-Jan-11 09:49:00

Bollocks, ultimately it goes in the womans favour because it his her choice whether the man wants the child or not.

Serendippy Thu 13-Jan-11 09:50:31

YABU. Only a woman can actually have an abortion, therefore it does not serve men at all.

ChickensAreFlyingUnderTheRadar Thu 13-Jan-11 09:50:48

YABU. Ownership of your own body is vitally important.

Bogeyface Thu 13-Jan-11 09:52:09

It doesnt imo. AS Trillian said, it is women who have always traditionally suffered from the birth of an unwanted baby. Even in the bad old days when women were ostracised and the child treated like shit for most of its life, very little was heard of the men responsible. He could go off, get married and have his family without any further thought, but her whole life was ruined, as was the childs. At best you would hear about "something" in his past life but he wouldnt be branded a man of loose morals!

Even now, where birth out of marriage in whatever cirumstances is not a problem, it is women that have the baby and take care of it (in the vast majority of cases). She will therefore have to take the hit of the economic implications, the effect on her career, future relationships etc. He can, as forever, just walk away.

usedtobeyoung Thu 13-Jan-11 09:52:56

YABU. What is your thinking? I can't understand how you could come to that conclusion.

PaisleyLeaf Thu 13-Jan-11 09:52:57

How so?

CuppaTeaJanice Thu 13-Jan-11 09:53:00

The man doesn't really have a say, does he? He can't force a woman to have an abortion, and there's nothing he can do if he wants her to keep the baby and she doesn't want to, even if it is his.

ShowOfHands Thu 13-Jan-11 09:53:16

Can you actually explain what you're going on about?

We are all aware of what 'overall' means in this context.

BeenBeta Thu 13-Jan-11 09:57:22

If men were routinely forcing women into abortions (in the UK) I would agree. It isn't the case though.

By and large, women choose to have abortions - which on balance they must choose to do because the feel the benefit outweighs the personal cost.

TrillianAstra Thu 13-Jan-11 09:58:37

Is it because all men want is sex, and women wouldn't do it unless there was abortion available if they get pregnant? hmm

Crap argument if so.

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 13-Jan-11 09:59:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grumpla Thu 13-Jan-11 09:59:29

YABU

grumblinalong Thu 13-Jan-11 10:00:08

Even though YABU as I think it benefits women who don't have to give birth and raise children they don't want I'm keeping an open mind as to why you've posted this.

Do you mean that men don't have to undergo the physical and emotional impact abortion entails?

holyShmoley Thu 13-Jan-11 10:00:21

Going to write a bit of an essay why I think this, so not ignoring. But one of the key points is this.
Whilst we loudly insist that men have no rights in deciding whether a (crisis) pregnancy is terminated, we will struggle to persuade them that they have any responsibilities in the cases where a woman chooses not to. And the evidence bears me out on this.

Bogeyface Thu 13-Jan-11 10:00:40

Perhaps there is more to this than just an inflammatory post.

If the OP feels that she was forced into an abortion at some point and things havent gone well since then her resentment may well explain the post.

Lancelottie Thu 13-Jan-11 10:01:18

I think the OP may be referring to the kind of man who thinks that an abortion is the obvious answer to an unplanned pregnancy -- almost a default option which the woman would be silly not to pick.

togarama Thu 13-Jan-11 10:03:13

I'm not quite sure where you're coming from either.

Do you mean that men don't suffer as much from making the decision to abort and from the aftermath of abortion? I think this much is often true.

However, it's very much in women's interests that a safe and accessible abortion service exists.

MumNWLondon Thu 13-Jan-11 10:04:21

It serves woman best. Consider 2 scenarios where man and women not in a relationship:

Scenario 1: Unplanned pregnancy, woman wants to keep baby, man doesn't. She is allowed to choose and keep her baby. He has to provide maintenance payments etc etc.

Scenario 2: Unplanned pregnancy, man wants to keep baby and raise it himself. Woman wants abortion. If she want she can go ahead with abortion without his consent. Or she can keep the baby saying she'll sign it over at birth and then change her mind.

Bogeyface Thu 13-Jan-11 10:04:23

X-post

So you mean "I wanted you to have an abortion, you didnt so therefore the baby isnt my problem. You wanted it, you have it, you take care of it"?

If that is what you mean then I see how you could say that abortion (or refusal of same) could be used as an excuse for men to not take an responsibility for a child. They could argue that they made their feelings clear about not wanting the child and therefore if the woman chooses to go ahead, she is committing to doing it alone.

But your wording really doesnt make it clear what your point is!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: