Talk

Advanced search

To think insurers are taking the piss wanting more money for PTSD???

(18 Posts)
mosschops30 Wed 12-Jan-11 15:25:48

Its travel insurance, and my PTSD is from my traumatic childbirth.

They wanted an extra £15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I told them not to bother and Id go without them covering me for PTSD, although I cant see why it would be a problem gien that there is no chance of me giving birth in this lifetime, so as long as I dont have to deliver a baby on the plane, I'll be fine wink

scurryfunge Wed 12-Jan-11 15:30:06

PTSD can take grip at any time and not always related specifically to the original event. For the sake of £15 I would not want my holiday ruined.

Serendippy Wed 12-Jan-11 15:30:36

I hate travel insurance, it seems that you could get ill with something you have never had before unrelated to any aspect of your life and then they will find out that you were stung by a bee aged 12 and did not declare it so they will not pay out. YANBU but the whole thing is a nightmare. Check what you are covered for if you do not pay the extra £15.

mosschops30 Wed 12-Jan-11 15:32:10

scurry but ive been living with it for a year, its now under control with medication. Nothing is likely to trigger it other than me having to perform a CS or being back in the theatre that it happened in so fairly unlikely to be caught off guard by this

bubbleOseven Wed 12-Jan-11 15:32:32

what's PTSD?

I thought it stood for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder so i think i'm a bit confused.

scurryfunge Wed 12-Jan-11 15:33:34

Ok, it is different for all people. The smell of something particular does it for me. Glad you are dealing with it.

mosschops30 Wed 12-Jan-11 15:33:43

it does stand for that

mosschops30 Wed 12-Jan-11 15:35:13

oh or if my stomach spontaneously ruptures open, in which case I imagine id be covered by my medical insurance wink

bubbleOseven Wed 12-Jan-11 15:35:55

Your insurers are asking for an extra £15 because you suffered from PTSD in the past?

purplepidjin Wed 12-Jan-11 15:36:56

Just to make you aware, it can come back at any time. I have a diagnosis of PTSD, anxiety and depression following a break in just over a year ago. All under control with meds, discharged by CAMHS, everyone telling me how well I'm doing...

I've jsut had a week off work because I had a meltdown out of the blue. I cried for two hours solid for no discernible reason, then slept for 2 days. Saw GP, it's "just one of those things".

I do hope you enjoy your holiday and don't have any random meltdowns like me though!! smile

charliesmommy Wed 12-Jan-11 15:38:09

How would having PTSD require any medical treatment abroad?

Chil1234 Wed 12-Jan-11 15:39:48

It's all down to risk, unfortunately. If insurance companies have evidence that people with PTSD in their history are more likely to make claims on their travel insurance they'll lob on an extra charge. Certain occupations mean you pay extra for car insurance... similar thing.

scurryfunge Wed 12-Jan-11 15:42:40

charlie,
If you have a history of PTSD, it can reoccur at any time and people can claim for treatment if the holiday re-triggers an episode, etc. It could be expensive for insurance companies for a course of therapy on return.

charliesmommy Wed 12-Jan-11 16:05:29

Ah, I see. Well in that case I wouldnt mention it to the insurance.

As it is related to a specific incident, which as you say is unlikely to re-occur, while on holiday, then dont tell them about it.

emmyloulou Wed 12-Jan-11 16:45:13

If you have it, or had it and don't declare it, it will invalidate your policy.

You could break your leg, and the insurance won't pay out as you witheld information.

Bills abroad can run into 100's of tousands, for the sake of £15 not worth it.

Don't ever withold information to insurance companies, terrible advice.

emmyloulou Wed 12-Jan-11 16:45:48

*thousands

girlynut Wed 12-Jan-11 17:09:26

Having worked for the travel insurance industry for several years (ducks thrown tomatoes), I can tell you there's no point "not telling them". If you need medical treatment abroad, your insurer may request a report from your GP in the UK which would show you'd suffered from PTSD previously.

Any pre-existing medical condition represents an increased risk of a claim occurring, so it makes sense for them to charge an additional premium to reflect that risk. They're being up front with you about what they will and won't insure. I'm sure you'd rather they told you it will cost £15 now rather than told you there was no cover later when you needed to make a claim.

If you declare it and pay the additional premium you know you're covered if the worst should happen. I don't think it's as clear cut as not being in childbirth during your holiday. Any kind of anxiety, stress or mental illness might have a direct or indirect link to your previous PTSD, especially if you are still on meds to treat that condition.

Emmyloulou - the insurer are saying they WILL cover the condition for an additional premium, so your comment that the policy would be invalidated doesn't make sense.

If you were to break your leg, they'd pay, as it has nothing to do with your previous medical condition.

Knowing what I know about the industry, I would always pay the additional premium to be safe, rather than take the risk. I've seen lots of cases where people have ended up uninsured... But it pisses me off when people blame the insurance company simply because they can't be arsed to make sure they're adequately insured in the first place.

emmyloulou Wed 12-Jan-11 18:22:51

Not declaring an existing medical condition, would invalidate the policy.

I was replying to the post above, not delcaring, just to save £15 is stupid.

Any injury or illness, will be linked into an existing ailment, that's how insurance companies work, we all know that.

I know someone in exactly that position, it was a broken leg, and she got caught out. Still can't beleive she did it either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now