Talk

Advanced search

to expect my mother to not have scrimped on the hotel room?

(23 Posts)
InPraiseOfBacchus Wed 12-Jan-11 14:28:31

My mother recently booked a one-night stay in London, plus tickets to see an exhibition at the British Museum, for my dp and I (as one of my Christmas presents). I should probably start by saying we were both very grateful and had a wonderful time.

However, when we got to the Travelodge (cheap and cheerful but we swear by that place!) I noticed that she'd booked our double room for "1 adult" only, despite definitely knowing in advance that it would be both of us staying there.

My mum grew up poor and is used to finding little "tricks" (mostly completely legal and above-board, I might add) to save money. I've never complained, since it's partly for this reason that I had a wonderful and exciting childhood despite times of difficulty.

However, now my parents are comfortably off, in a nice house which they own, no more dcs to look after and both working.

My main worry was that this could have left us in a very uncomfortable position, as if the hotel had decided to investigate, which they were within their rights to do even though it was probably very unlikely, we would not have been able to pay the difference at that time. I was also ill at the time, which is nobody's fault, but added to my worry.

I would have been fine if it was mum and me sharing a room, since she would have taken responsibility for it. But to do that when two people, one of whom isn't exactly a family member, is just a little unreasonable.

I haven't brought it up, of course. AIBSnobby?

InPraiseOfBacchus Wed 12-Jan-11 14:29:09

IABU to have split the infinitive in the title! Sorry!

themildmanneredjanitor Wed 12-Jan-11 14:30:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LindyHemming Wed 12-Jan-11 14:30:37

MommyMayhem Wed 12-Jan-11 14:30:54

I think you might find that you pay for the room at the Travelodge rather than the person? I am not sure, but I would check, if I were you.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 12-Jan-11 14:30:58

I'm not sure that there is a price difference is there? I thought that with a travelodge type room you pay for the room only? I think it is fire regulations that mean they request how many are actually staying?

Dh and I have booked these room for just us; and at others time two dcs as well, and the actual rate has never changed.

Are you sure she didn't just make a mistake. Easily done on line imo as the default setting is often 1 adult.

BluddyMoFo Wed 12-Jan-11 14:32:34

gorionine Wed 12-Jan-11 14:32:42

I do not really get you question as it is a bit late to ask now when you have already been and have enjoyed your stay. I would have a word with my mum though as it appears dishonest to me but I may have misunderstood.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 12-Jan-11 14:32:48

their home page only makes mention of "room rates"

allnightlong Wed 12-Jan-11 14:33:06

You do sound ungrateful like you say you've never complained about her little 'tricks' before.

MackerelOfFact Wed 12-Jan-11 14:33:43

In her defence, it might have been an accident - either she picked thr wrong number from a drop-down menu online, or the person on the phone took the number of people down incorrectly if she called them to book?

It seems weird to book a gift for someone and intentionally book for fewer people than intended. Even if it saved her money, she must have realised you wouldn't both have been able to check in as 1 guest?

TrillianAstra Wed 12-Jan-11 14:34:28

Nothing wrong with a split infinitive or else we wouldn't have 'to boldy go'.

Call her and assume she is a normal rational person "Mum you seem to have booked us a single room, is there any way you can get them to change it?"

gorionine Wed 12-Jan-11 14:34:42

If there is no difference n price it is a non issue surely (unless they took half the bed away to accomodate 1 adult onlygrin).

scurryfunge Wed 12-Jan-11 14:34:45

I'd have paid the difference on arrival when you checked in. Did you?

Sonnet Wed 12-Jan-11 14:35:26

and just "one" of your christmas presents!!

Yes YABU
as others are saying room rates at travel lodge

InPraiseOfBacchus Wed 12-Jan-11 14:39:55

I've checked (as I should have done before I posted) and I can't find any mention of different room rates for different numbers of adults. Seems I am actually BU.

We still had a great time! I think I just got spooked by my friends horror stories of trying to get away with cramming as many friends as possible into one double room and getting rumbled!

scurryfunge Wed 12-Jan-11 14:42:56

Was the Book of the Dead you went to see? We went to see it in November and loved it.

create Wed 12-Jan-11 14:43:24

The only difference the nubmer of occupants makes, is the number of towels/tea bags they put out and even then, you can ask for extras from reception, so I really don't see what the problem is.

Your mum booked a room and forgot to amend the dropdown box which asks for number of adults - it defaults to 1.

It really can't have caused you any issues and won't have saved her any money.

MommyMayhem Wed 12-Jan-11 14:44:57

Ah, your poor Mum. Hope you feel really bad now grin

onepieceoflollipop Wed 12-Jan-11 14:47:52

create I was just about to add that bit about the towels.

Only on one occasion did we have a problem getting extra stuff. We drank the two whole sachets of coffee that were supplied, and the man on reception was like this shock when we asked for more. I nearly went and got the teabags to ask for a swap! He kept muttering that we couldn't possibly have drunk them both! lol

TrillianAstra Wed 12-Jan-11 14:50:44

Why should she feel bad? She hasn't brought it up with her mum.

MommyMayhem Wed 12-Jan-11 14:54:06

Yeah, I'm only joking!

mrshess Wed 12-Jan-11 14:58:11

You pay for the room at travelodge so its the same price for 4 people as its for one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: