Talk

Advanced search

to expect shoes to come in half sizes?

(16 Posts)
janpa Wed 12-Jan-11 13:08:19

My feet are 4 1/2. I can't help that, it's just the way they are, but most shoe shops sell a 4 or 5. Surely half the population must have half size feet... confused

TallyB Wed 12-Jan-11 13:14:31

YANU - I'm a 5 1/2 so have to buy a 5 or 6. In my entire adult life I've only ever had 2 pairs of shoes which actually fitted my feet properly.

mutznutz Wed 12-Jan-11 13:18:04

This drives me mad because I'm a size 3 1/2 and I have to either stuff my feet in a size 3 or flap about in a size 4.

Shope rarely sell half sizes and when they do, they tend to be very expensive.

tyler80 Wed 12-Jan-11 13:20:35

Clarks sell shoes in half sizes, all my outdoor footwear like hiking boots/trainers are in half sizes. I've never really had a problem finding 5.5

TallyB Wed 12-Jan-11 13:20:35

Just realised - that should be YANBU. Must learn to type all the letters.

BusyMissIzzy Wed 12-Jan-11 13:23:53

YANBU, I'm a 4.5 as well, although shoe sizes seem to vary so much between shops that sometimes I can wear a 5, and sometimes a 4. But often I find a pair of shoes I like and try them on only to discover that the 5 is too big and the 4 too small.

Shop assistants often try to fob me off with a size 5 and an insole, but a) I just can't bring myself to buy shoes that don't fit properly, and b) insoles always seem to be pine-scented, which reminds me of cleaning out my hamster's cage when I was young.

TallyB Wed 12-Jan-11 13:25:37

@tyler80 That's useful to know. When I was a child most of my shoes came from Clarks, because not only was I an odd size, I also had narrow feet and they do/did a range of width fittings. Now I live in a very small place and would have to trek miles to find a branch :-( But if/when I move ....

FrequentNutter Wed 12-Jan-11 13:26:26

Try eBay for half sized shoes.

Clarks sell halves.

tyler80 Wed 12-Jan-11 13:31:15

Also European brands tend to be sized slightly differently. A European 38 is often more like a 5.5 than a 5 even though some size comparison charts say 5=38. I have some lovely ecco boots in a 38 which are perfect.

JennyRobyn Wed 12-Jan-11 14:13:38

Am usually size 3. But dependant on style/where i buy them..a 3 can be too small and yet a 4 is too big, i can often be heard moaning about shoes not coming in half sizes!(well the ones i like anyway)

Also agree european sizes tend to be a better fit.

onceamai Wed 12-Jan-11 14:26:59

I find it very variable from shop to shop but I think you are all very lucky. My left foot is a 3-1/2 and my right is a 4-1/2!!!! On the whole I find I have to pay more for comfort and usually manage with a 4-1/2 and an insole. Boots are usually OK and anything with a strap.

onceamai Wed 12-Jan-11 14:27:59

Oh and to add - I have been known to try on up to 25 pairs in one sitting before I find something comfy and that stays on both feet.

chandellina Wed 12-Jan-11 14:40:15

YANBU, it's outrageous, I'd never heard of "full sizes only" until I moved to the UK. Everywhere else has half sizes.

shirleyhyypia Wed 12-Jan-11 14:43:34

I'm a 5.5 and bought a 6 recently that were too SMALL! Had already taken tags off before I tried them on. Not impressed.

Next sometimes do half sizes too, I found a dress I liked before and convinced myself I didnt need it. I then found shoes to match in a 5.5! IT WAS A SIGN!!! grin

HonestyBox Wed 12-Jan-11 14:50:10

YANBU, also there is a size discrepancy in this country i.e. size 40 is actually a UK 6.5 but is called a 7 in most shops. Russell and Bromley do proper half sizes.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 12-Jan-11 15:00:42

M&S do half sizes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now