Talk

Advanced search

In thinking 8 pm swim lesson is a bit late for kids?

(21 Posts)
KerryMumbles Tue 11-Jan-11 21:57:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeaOneSugar Tue 11-Jan-11 22:07:45

Sounds a bit late to me, how long is the lesson?

Can you have him back home in time for his normal bedtime?

Milliways Tue 11-Jan-11 22:07:59

I think that is late for a school night at 8 (but at least he will sleep well) wink

Just wait until the 6am lessons start....

exexpat Tue 11-Jan-11 22:11:36

Sounds odd - my DCs are late to bed by most of their friends' standards, but even so if DD (8) had a class starting at 8pm, once she was dry, dressed and we got home it would be at least 9pm - way too late to be out on a school night.

DD's class when she was swimming 500m+ (class age around 7/8) was at 5.30pm, I think the teacher had one more at 6pm with slightly older kids doing life-saving stuff but then that was it. Do they have any weekend morning ones? Or is there anywhere else you could have lessons?

frgr Tue 11-Jan-11 22:15:15

well 8pm isn't too late for the lesson, but the problem comes when it depends on how long it takes for them to get changed after, travel home,etc

it would be at least 9.30, maybe 9.45 if we travelled back from the nearest pool here, which is too late for a school night for an 8 year old IMHO.

so no, you are not BU.

unfortunately, the place is probably booked up and so there's little flexibility when it comes to altering the time, even if you could get the place to agree/ ask other attendees what they think. so it sounds like a losing battle to try and do anything about it sad

frgr Tue 11-Jan-11 22:16:51

actually, how long are we talking about for the lesson? i'd assumed an hour?

(the lessons we take ours two are booked in for an hour, 10 mins changing, 10 mins talk/register, 30min in the water or supervised games, 10 min to change after. but the 10min to change after is actually more like 20mins by the time hair has been dried, etc.)

KerryMumbles Tue 11-Jan-11 22:22:20

elphabadefiesgravity Tue 11-Jan-11 22:23:10

Yes, in my opinion it is too late. Dd is 9 and the latest I would allow her to do dance is maybe a class that finished at around 7.30pm in the week, 8pm on a Friday.

Betime is 8.00pm. Later is fine as a one off but not a weekly class.

KerryMumbles Tue 11-Jan-11 22:23:13

FrequentNutter Tue 11-Jan-11 22:25:21

Putting an 8 year old to bed at 9pm is not late. Sounds about right for a youngster of that age.

snorkie Tue 11-Jan-11 22:29:17

Most children find that after 30mins hard swimming they are too hyped up to go straight to bed and will need 15-30mins at home to wind down (and eat even more, regardless of what he ate earlier) first.

It's a problem, the pressure on pool time is such that it's hard to find lessons at sensible times and some children do struggle. We have had children who have had to give up at this point, but others manage it. I suspect you wil have to try and see how it goes.

Thinking back mine swam that late at that age, but on a Friday night which makes a big difference.

elphabadefiesgravity Tue 11-Jan-11 22:30:05

Really nutter? At age 8 dd's bedtime was between 7pm and 7.30pm. 9pm is really late.

ChasingSquirrels Tue 11-Jan-11 22:30:42

My 8yo ds goes to bed around 9pm, but I wouldn't book him into swimming lessons that started at 8pm, I would feel that is too late.
I would let him do something with those timings on a one-off basis, but not every week.

MumNWLondon Tue 11-Jan-11 22:32:59

I think 8pm is ridicolous for an 8 year old and I'd be looking elsewhere.

At our pool, the level 5 class is at 6pm and I said that was too late after school.

My daughter is 7 and she does do brownies 6.15-7.45pm and I already think thats a bit late for her.

KerryMumbles Tue 11-Jan-11 22:35:08

bnm Tue 11-Jan-11 22:36:29

totally agree with MumNWLondon.
What do they do at level 5?
could you just keep going on own and await a better time or move up when your child is older?

whiteladder Tue 11-Jan-11 22:55:38

DS used to have lessons at 8pm. He was 10 when he reached that level, but there were some children as young as eight in the class.

A lot of children's activities around here take place around that time, 6-9pm - scouts, football, badminton. It's one of the reasons DS tended to have quite late bedtimes, otherwise he'd have missed out on a lot of opportunites. We lived close to his primary school though so he always managed to get enough sleep.

ll31 Tue 11-Jan-11 22:58:00

sounds fairly ok for 8 yr old I think- think anything up to 9 is fine

Mumwithadragontattoo Tue 11-Jan-11 23:10:18

I actually think 8pm is fine for a 30 min lesson for an 8 year old. I did a lot of swimming as a child and 8pm was a standard start time at that age. 9pm not unusual for the older ones. I'd let him go - he can always have an early night the next night.

mrsfollowill Tue 11-Jan-11 23:22:13

Too late for my 8 yo! He's in bed 8.15 school nights and sleeps until 7.30 am -9.15 on Fri/Sat sleeps in until 8.30-9.00. You know your child though- not everyone needs so much sleep. Do you think he could cope with a late night and still be ok for school? Personally I need 6/7 hrs per night but I have friends who can't function on less than 8/9 hrs?

GenieoftheTramp Tue 11-Jan-11 23:37:55

Too late for my 8 year old too, he's in bed by then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now