Advanced search

to think we should be able to get car insurance for 6m when out of the country?

(18 Posts)
bebemoohatessnot Tue 11-Jan-11 17:02:52

We're having terrible times trying to sort out our 'stuff' suddenly for our temp move to Germany.
The latest trouble. Insuring a car while away for 6m. If you're out of the country for more than 90 days...too bad, we won't insure your car from a number of insurance providers.
We're not moving permanently, just 6m on contract. We don't want to be without a vehicle. What do we do?

Does anyone know how to do this or who to contact?

FrequentNutter Tue 11-Jan-11 17:12:00

Insure for twelve then amend the policy after six months.

If you are leaving the vehicle here then park it off road and don't insure it. Maybe rent a garage for six months probably cheaper than the insurance anyways, also complete a SORN.

Plumm Tue 11-Jan-11 17:29:06

Can your work help you out with a local insurance company?

MrsPresley Tue 11-Jan-11 17:30:27

If your leaving the car hear, I dont see a problem if your taking the car with you then could you not insure through a German insurance company?

FN, is the SORN not for an untaxed vehicle?

bebemoohatessnot Tue 11-Jan-11 17:35:42

It's because we want to bring it with us that there's a problem. We'd have to register it in Germany and change plates to Germany plates, it's not an easy process apparently and then the the same, but backwards when we came back here to the UK

FrequentNutter Tue 11-Jan-11 17:37:58

If its off the road why even keep it taxed? Send the tax back and tax it when you return. Sorry should have been clearer.

Might be cheaper to buy a car in Germany and insure there? Selling before you return home and leaving yours garaged?

scurryfunge Tue 11-Jan-11 17:38:01

I would hire a vehicle for 6 months with some of the money saved on tax, insurance, etc on your vehicle.

MrsPresley Tue 11-Jan-11 17:42:13

Is this any help p

or this

bebemoohatessnot Tue 11-Jan-11 17:43:39

Language is a barrier

And unfortunately unless we could hire or buy a car for less than about 75 a month it would be way more expensive... the costs of this adventure are adding up And it's not looking good.

bebemoohatessnot Tue 11-Jan-11 17:53:18

Thanks everyone. The Green card mentioned on Toy town was only 3rd party and not ideal for us.
We've done even more calling around and found Cooperative will insure if we come back after every 90 days... we were thinking we'd be doing this pretty much any how so we might be ok.
It was so disheartening making over 10 calls and everyone being 'no' 'don't be silly' 'why would we do that' and that sort of response

Sometimes you don't really feel your consumer 'value'

scurryfunge Tue 11-Jan-11 17:54:51

Also, if you do manage to insure from the UK check out the autobahn clause which is on most policies.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 11-Jan-11 17:59:14

I saw the '6m' and thought '6 million'. I was wondering just how bad a driver you were. Sorry OP, good luck with your insurance and enjoy those Autobahns...

fairtradefloozy Tue 11-Jan-11 23:00:52

Oh.. we've had this. Come home for a weekend by car mid contract so you don't go over the 90 days?

Alternatively, search on travel insurance clauses - what about those who go on extended road trips, they must get insurance somehow!!

PS If you have a home, be sure to check the clauses there. Most wont insure you if you are going away for more than 30 days. We insured our home as a holiday house while we were working overseas.

bebemoohatessnot Wed 12-Jan-11 13:46:43

thanks Fairtrade, it seems that our current company won't even sanction the return within time... so we're going to have to switch. hmm
Thanks for the reminder about the home insurance.

NigellaPleaseComeDineWithMe Wed 12-Jan-11 14:08:21

You are asking to be insured by a Uk company in a foreign country - so think most insurers are expecting holiday type cover so 90 days is reasonable.

Who is arranging the move - is it linked to a work move? Could they help out?

bebemoohatessnot Wed 12-Jan-11 15:27:48

We're arranging the move as Dh is a contractor, so no help from anyone else really.

90 days is quite reasonable I agree, really, was just frustrated that so many companies said even that was not reasonable.

NigellaPleaseComeDineWithMe Wed 12-Jan-11 15:31:41

But if it was standard policy then perhaps costs for everyone else would go up.

Most do 30-60 days and normally only cover 3rd party.

bebemoohatessnot Wed 12-Jan-11 15:45:40

Very true Nigella- however on some of their websites it said they DID, but when we called they said, no we don't. It was frustrating. But it's mostly over now so we're not too worried as the 90 days works fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: