Talk

Advanced search

to think you shouldn't name your child after a footballer

(60 Posts)
bna Tue 11-Jan-11 16:32:51

A friend of mine is a big football fan and pg and she is planning on calling him Luca after some footballer that she loves.

charliesmommy Tue 11-Jan-11 16:35:09

If you like the name why not? Its her child. Luca is also quite a nice name IMO.

I think naming your child after the team is a bit ridiculous.

cantspel Tue 11-Jan-11 16:35:10

could be worse as she could throw some random letters together to make up a name as she wants to be "original"

mutznutz Tue 11-Jan-11 16:36:17

Yeah but that's like saying you shouldn't call your child 'John' cos of John Terry hmm

TheCoalitionNeedsYou Tue 11-Jan-11 16:36:43

Well that's David, George, John, Frank etc. out of the question then.

Imarriedafrog Tue 11-Jan-11 16:36:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QueenStromba Tue 11-Jan-11 16:37:43

Luca doesn't seem like an unreasonable name to me - he could always go by Luke if he decides he doesn't like it.

AMumInScotland Tue 11-Jan-11 16:37:44

At least "Luca" is a normal sort of name. It's parents who name their child after every single one of the team that seem strange to me, as the poor child is always going to have to tell people his full name is "Fred Beckham Scholes Cole Crouch..7 others.. Smith"

NotActuallyAMum Tue 11-Jan-11 16:38:17

I don't see the problem, her child her choice surely

LaWeaselMys Tue 11-Jan-11 16:39:59

Luca is a perfectly nice (and spellable) name, so what if it's also a footballer she likes?

huddspur Tue 11-Jan-11 16:41:09

I'd think about naming a child after a footballer and Luka Modric is as good as any <reveals football alliegiance>. It should be spelt Luka not Luca though

charliesmommy Tue 11-Jan-11 16:42:10

Now, if she was an Arsenal fan, and wanted to call the kid Arsenal that would be an entirely different matter.

I have issues with Chelsea fans who think its so cool to call their daughter Chelsea.. its not.

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Tue 11-Jan-11 16:42:17

It would not occur to a non-football fan that they had done this

I would have wondered if he 'lived on the second floor' wink

MrsPresley Tue 11-Jan-11 16:42:46

My son has the same name as someone from the world of motor racing, one night my 9yo googled her brothers name and was most upset that his picture didn't come up grin

She was saying who is this man that's not my brother

mutznutz Tue 11-Jan-11 16:43:32

Laurie I've been singing that since I opened the thread angry

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Tue 11-Jan-11 16:45:17

snort grin

ScotlandR Tue 11-Jan-11 16:45:29

YANBU - if they wouldn't choose that name except for the footballer

my brother and SIL named their daughter after a nymphomaniac mechanic character on some sci-fi programme they liked.

She will be 'Kaylee' (complete with excruciating spelling) forever now.

YABU if they heard the footballers name and liked it.

LaWeaselMys Tue 11-Jan-11 16:45:38

hudds I was wondering that! Don't know anything about football though, so assumed it was correct for that person.

I think Luka is the traditional spelling of that name.

InstructionsToTheDouble Tue 11-Jan-11 16:46:25

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

mankyscotslass Tue 11-Jan-11 16:49:01

There is a boy at our football whose first name is Beckham. hmm

theevildead2 Tue 11-Jan-11 16:49:54

I don't think it's an issue. It is just a name.

With the huge exception of the name Zhirkov

lucky1979 Tue 11-Jan-11 16:50:49

If DD had been a boy, DH really wanted to call him Theo, after Theo Walcott. I point blank refused because in a few years if Theo Walcott left Arsenal and went to play for Chelsea as he would want to rename the baby or at the least the name would be totally tainted.

He did take my point and we settled on only considering names of retired Arsenal players. Tell your friend that if he's a current, fairly young player what will she do if he leaves her team?

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 11-Jan-11 16:51:46

Why? I named DD after two of my favourite fictional characters. What's the difference?

charliesmommy Tue 11-Jan-11 16:54:38

I also know someone who used the colour of the team strip for their sons name.

There are some odd people..

I hate names that are deliberately mis-spelt to create a "ooh I am so cutting edge"... er no, you are just creating a lifetime of your kid having to explain how their name should be written, as well as giving the impression their parents were illiterate.

Apologies to any parents of a "Aiimee, Hollee, Porsha"

Well no actually, I dont apologise.. it is just wrong.

LindyHemming Tue 11-Jan-11 16:55:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: