Talk

Advanced search

to think you shouldn't be jealous of Santa

(27 Posts)
mrsunreasonable Tue 11-Jan-11 15:19:03

someone I know has a 3 year old, this Christmas was the first she really go the whole 'Santa' thing so the parents played along with numerous trips to see Santa a 'Santa Stop Here' sign etc.

Today was the first time I've seen her since Christmas so I said did your DD enjoy Christmas and she said "She did but I was getting a bit pissed off with Santa getting all the credit for the presents after I chose them, bought them, wrapped them so I told her Santa wasn't real and wasn't mummy clever for getting all the toys"

AIBU to think you either play along with Santa or if you object to the idea tell your kids from the start. Not play along until you get jealous of Santa!

FreudianSlipIntoMyLaptop Tue 11-Jan-11 15:20:35

That's why from the start we agreed that Santa brings the stockings only. DD knows the tree presents are from us.

Chil1234 Tue 11-Jan-11 15:25:33

ROFL! grin This takes competitive mothering to a whole new Olympic standard. Mummy vs mythical kind old gentleman.... seconds out....

stoppinchingthedummy Tue 11-Jan-11 15:27:44

haha thats hilarious!! silly mummy she is yanbu

Fenugreek Tue 11-Jan-11 15:31:04

Ha ha ha! I've never understood the "why should Santa get all the credit" thing. Surely the joy is in seeing your children thrilled with the magic of Christmas, and excited about getting the thing they have aaaalways wanted? And we're not even one of those crazy wrong families who say everything (including the bath salts from Aunt Maude) are from Santa.

Santa brought my kids a Jesse and a Woody doll. They were THE best thing about Christmas. I am thrilled that they love them, and pleased with myself for getting them. Wanting credit doesn;t come into it.

You give for the joy of giving, not because you want grattitude.

ScotlandR Tue 11-Jan-11 15:32:44

YABU - she WAS doing all the work! She wanted to make a nice, Christmassy fantasy for her DC but eventually it all got a bit too much, so she stopped it. Seems reasonable to me.

Would you rather she seethed in resentment until next christmas?!

AMumInScotland Tue 11-Jan-11 15:45:00

She doesn't seem to have thought it through! Much simpler to have stockings from Santa and everything else from parents etc, that way you can say things like "it's too expensive", and get them to tell you what they would like, instead of assuming Santa already knows.

mutznutz Tue 11-Jan-11 15:49:13

It's ridiculous imo. My kids put an empty sack by the fire place and whatever they find in it is from Santa. All the other presents under the tree are labelled from the people who bought them (us included)

This makes them realise that other people buy gifts, it enables them to write thank you letters and it also makes them ask for one gift only from Santa (though they get lots of fun stocking fillers too)

aristomache Tue 11-Jan-11 15:53:21

Hmmmm I like mummy, and I like mythical kind old gentleman.

But which one is better?

THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT!!!

DurhamDurham Tue 11-Jan-11 15:56:26

No I would expect her, as a grown woman, to get a grip and remember that childhood only lasts a short time. Her dd will know soon enough that Santa isn't real and then she'll be handed lists of what she would like for Christmas with notes on how much they cost and where you can buy them (Like I do now from my girls) My two dd's are teenagers and I so miss the days when they would rush to see "if he'd been".

I never once remember feeling short changed because Santa got all the praise. How can you be jealous of somebody who doesn't exist.

DurhamDurham Tue 11-Jan-11 15:57:40

aristomache grin

Fight!!!

MrsPresley Tue 11-Jan-11 16:01:37

I think that's a very sad attitude from the mum sad

I always told mine that Santa only brought 1 gift and that everything else was from family ect

TrillianAstra Tue 11-Jan-11 16:01:42

I agree with AMumInScotland.

That's just one of the rasons why it is silly to say that Santa brings everything.

DuelingFanjo Tue 11-Jan-11 16:03:46

Santa brings the stocking, it's foolish to tell kids he brings all the presents.

cantspel Tue 11-Jan-11 16:09:06

The child is 3 and now due to petty jealousy by her mother has lost a very special part of her childhood.

Maybe at easter she can cook up an easter bunny stew and ruin that for her as well.

charliesmommy Tue 11-Jan-11 16:14:41

I just dont get it... I really dont.

I believed in Santa, but as the labels said "love from mummy and daddy".. I just assumed Santa brought them.. I didnt for one moment imagine he paid for them too... lol.

A 3 year old has little concept of the value of money, and its not difficult to say "Santa brings the presents that WE get you"... It doesnt ruin the illusion.

Chil1234 Tue 11-Jan-11 16:31:06

That kid had better watch out btw... When it turns in some homework project in years to come and teacher gives it an 'A' will the green-eyed-mummy-monster be round there like a shot demanding the credit for that as well?

mrsunreasonable Tue 11-Jan-11 19:13:57

I would rather she didn't play along with the whole Santa thing then shatter the whole illusion she just spent most of December building on Christmas Day because she wanted some grattitude from a 3 year old!

compo Tue 11-Jan-11 19:17:20

And she'll tell her classmates next Xmas he's not real and she'll get dagger looks from the other preschool mums grin

emmyloulou Tue 11-Jan-11 19:21:57

The mother sounds like a right bitch.

YANBU.

All my kids think Sana brings the whole lot, they forget it's meant to be just the stocking and sack.

I wouldn't tell them though, it's part of the magic of Christmas, the kids believing and seeing the sheer excitment.

I actually dread the day they all grow up and start not to believe. I couldn't do what she did to them how cruel!

How sad

lal123 Tue 11-Jan-11 19:31:20

I think that that's really sad. In our house Santa brings all presents for DD2, DD1 is 7 now and still believes santa brings most presents - but knows that some are from others. She did ask this year why we hadn't bought her a present though. I think Santa is a magical part of christmas - and the joy on my kids faces is worth more than any thanks they could give me. I get satisfaction knowing we are able to give our kids a great christmas - its not a competition between us and Santa!!

AMumInScotland Wed 12-Jan-11 11:52:39

I don't think Santa is necessary, or the only thing which makes Christmas magical and special. And if she'd decided from the start not to "do" Santa, I'd be totally fine with that. But going all out on doing Santa, then throwing a tantrum when Santa gets the credit seems utterly petty and childish.

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 12-Jan-11 12:02:55

What a horrible woman she sounds. How can you deny children the joy of FC due to your jealousy.
I did tell our DD that FC wasn't real this year. She was starting a new school in a new country and I didn;t want her new classmates ripping the piss out of her. Glad I did. She is 9.8, not 3.

Jins Wed 12-Jan-11 12:06:02

She sounds very insecure to me.

FindingStuffToChuckOut Wed 12-Jan-11 13:26:55

LOL!!! Insecure indeed.

DD (3) asked me yesterday if I could please call Santa and ask him to drop off a new colouring book!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: