Advanced search

in asking for a elective c-section? when the time comes.

(46 Posts)
altinkum Tue 11-Jan-11 13:31:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

altinkum Tue 11-Jan-11 13:32:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AgentZigzag Tue 11-Jan-11 13:37:30

I did, it was the best thing for me personally, my consultant agreed (was quite happy as it happens) and gave us a choice of a couple of dates I could have it on, weird choosing your DCs birthday.

Why does your DH not want you to have a cs?

altinkum Tue 11-Jan-11 13:43:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jester68 Tue 11-Jan-11 13:43:40

If I was you I would.

With my first daughter her birth was very quick. I gave birth with just gas and air but suffered a third degree tear and needed an epidural after to be stitched up in theatre resulting in over 100 stitches.

When I got pregnant the second time they talked me into having a natural birth saying only a 10% chance of anything bad happening again, was higher risks with having a csection apparantly.

Second labour also happened quickly, as baby was in distress, and though I was supposed to be cut to avoid tearing again, the midwives did not do it and baby was once again born on just gas and air, but sadly not breathing properly for a while, and I suffered yet another third degree tear. So epidural again and taken to theatre to have over 80 stitches.

I have now been told it would be unwise having another natural birth, but we have already decided that we will have no more children.

If I could go back in time I would have elected for the csection.

readywithwellies Tue 11-Jan-11 13:44:51

I have had two sections, one emergency then an elective. I would rather a section any day to what you have had done.

goplayout Tue 11-Jan-11 13:46:16

Oh you poor thing Altinkum, what an awful time you've had.

YADNBU to want an ELCS next time round.

Could you speak to your GP (before conceiving) about the liklihood of getting an ELCS based on the 2 previous traumatic births? Take your dh along for support and to stress what a hideous time you've had.

I've had 3 ELCS and they were lovely experiences - not traumatic at all.

expatinscotland Tue 11-Jan-11 13:47:07


I don't doubt that because of your history of 4 repair ops, any consultant would not consider you a CS candidate.

expatinscotland Tue 11-Jan-11 13:48:15

That is to say, definitely go for hte CS!

It's not your DH's decision to make, either. It's yours and your doctor's.

AgentZigzag Tue 11-Jan-11 13:51:08

I'm sure some would disagree, but I see the risks attached to having a cs as managed or controlled risks.

Mine were both planned cs and like goplayout, I found them to be calm and positive experiences, but that could be because I was lucky not to be affected much by them afterwards which isn't the case for a lot of women.

frgr Tue 11-Jan-11 13:52:00

Based on what you've been through, yes, I defintitely would.

You might find this thread helpful:

Recent thread on elective CS and childbirth injury traumas.

altinkum Tue 11-Jan-11 13:54:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

altinkum Tue 11-Jan-11 13:56:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 11-Jan-11 13:58:55

I had an EMCS and compared to what you have described I would go for elective section!!

You would need to organise childcare and housework help for a few weeks after the section, but the plus side is that you get lots of bonding time with your new baby while you recover.

expatinscotland Tue 11-Jan-11 13:59:57

Of course you can go to the doctor's about it, altinkum!

Just get the GP or midwife to refer you to a consultant.

In all honesty, vaginal birth might not even be an option for you, a consultant will need to determine that.

You'd need to see one, anyhow, given your history of repair ops.

AgentZigzag Tue 11-Jan-11 14:01:48

Judging by how the nurses and people I saw afterwards, I was a bit too OK for their liking grin

Apparently they thought I should have been hobbling around and not be able to do anything for ages, it was sore and got me out of doing the hoovering for a bit, but didn't stop me doing anything else.

I've heard other mums have had a right old time of it, especially if they had staples to close the wound, so I'm not making light of their experiences because in the end it is a surgical procedure.

Plumm Tue 11-Jan-11 14:02:58

YANBU at all. I had an easy first birth but if someone said 'we'll just cut you open and whip her out' for this one I'd probably say yes.

AgentZigzag Tue 11-Jan-11 14:03:14

'Judging by how the nurses and people I saw reacted afterwards'

alicet Tue 11-Jan-11 14:05:01

ANother one here who had an amergency section the first followed by a planned one the second time. My recovery was a breeze compared to friends who had similar experiences to you (although I acknowledge I was lucky).

One of my friends had a third degree tear first time round and was given a cs the second time with no hassle at all. I would be gob smacked if you meet any resistance. They will tell you the risks of a cs (as they should so you can give informed consent) but if you accept these then I would be very surprised if they did not agree.

Main thing you can do to help yourself and lower risks is lose any weight if you need to.

Good luck

alicet Tue 11-Jan-11 14:06:10

emergency section that would be not amergancy!

alicet Tue 11-Jan-11 14:07:26

Oh and by losing weight I mean before you try for a baby not while pregnant

altinkum Tue 11-Jan-11 14:40:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GruffalosGirl Tue 11-Jan-11 14:49:42

I had my first with forceps and ended up with a 3rd degree tear.

I'm due my 2nd in eight weeks by elective section. I had incontinence issues though and they will apparently automatically offer a section in these circumstances. The hospital have certainly been fine with me having a section and told me I could choose so I think you'll be fine.

Read the thread on elcs in childbirth for more advice on this though, it has loads of other people's stories on there

SiriusStar Tue 11-Jan-11 15:01:19

Have you been seen by a consultant or physio for the tear you had last?
I did and when I spoke to my consultant and told him how scared I was at the prospect of tearing again, he agreed a cs would be best option for me.
If you decide to, stick to your guns. Don't say you are thinking of or might want a cs. Be assertive and hopefully you will meet little resistance. I always had the line "Can you guarantee I won;t tear again and be bowel incontinent?" ready to go just incase I got a snotty medical person.
Good Luck.

frgr Tue 11-Jan-11 15:14:50

frgr, Im reading the guardian article and the MN page, and if Im honestly, it's scaring thr knickers of me

Oh dear that wasn't the intention. i thought it would help to alleviate some of your concerns, that it's more normal than we think to sustain injuries during cb, and we can plan / empower ourselves with information beforehand so that you receive the best possible care!

Stop reading it and make an appointment at your Dr's before you conceive, i think

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: