Talk

Advanced search

I like Davina McCall ...but...what adisgrace

(65 Posts)
GabbyLoggon Tue 11-Jan-11 11:50:30

Monday ITV 9pm weight loss prog. absolute disgrace Bullying worse than X-factor boot camp My wife was livid. so should any decent person be.. The female coach was the problem..playing sgtmajor with people over 20 stone. Grow up ITV...please

blametheparents Tue 11-Jan-11 11:52:25

Def car crash tv.

Awful format, bring on people that are overweight, help them lose some weight and then throw them off the show.
Very motivating - not!

Thingumy Tue 11-Jan-11 11:54:52

The 'bullying' or training as I see it obviously works,some of them had lost over a stone in a week.

Were they forced to take part in the programme? No I think not hmm

YABU

GwendolineMaryLacey Tue 11-Jan-11 11:56:38

I saw about 5 minutes of it, it and the exaggerated look of shock on the face of overweight contestant number 1 as overweight contestant number 6 or whatever, was weighed was disgraceful. Talk about hamming it up. I switched off in disgust.

scaredoflove Tue 11-Jan-11 11:59:41

These programmes make the contestants exercise hard to lose the weight. They stop them thinking that just because they are fat, they have to stop moving

They are very successful in losing the weight as most overweight people don't exercise, they also receive sound nutrition advise and counseling. The contestants will lose large amounts of weight

Sometimes, when you are very large you need extreme practices to get back on the right track. Much better to tackle it this way than with surgery

(and I say all this as an obese woman)

ASecretLemonadeDrinker Tue 11-Jan-11 12:01:48

Missed it - is there a repeat?

ASecretLemonadeDrinker Tue 11-Jan-11 12:02:45

oh, on itv player.

MrsPresley Tue 11-Jan-11 12:03:01

I had it on but wasn't really watching but the bit I did see was a very OW woman on an exercise bike (dont know how long she had been on) anyway she came/fell off it and the female instructor was shouting at her to get back on shock

The poor woman collapsed and the medics were called over.

I was disgusted by the instructors attitude angry

Do they really expect very OW people who probably havnt done any exrcise for years to suddenly be able to do loads straight away with no affect on them?

confuddledDOTcom Tue 11-Jan-11 12:12:45

I watch the US version and it sounds about the same. They get results. People sometimes need it. Even the people who go home are losing weight afterwards.

Mumcentreplus Tue 11-Jan-11 12:13:18

I'm waiting for someone to kick the bucket on one of these shows..

GabbyLoggon Tue 11-Jan-11 12:16:05

a lot of tv exploits people. But this was going for ratings with crass bullying. If it did not shock you then TV has got very ugly and so have some of us...People will always volunteer to go onTV. This was taking advantage in a way which defies decency...Does national TV nolonger have a moral standpoint. A sense of right and wrong? Whats next, Kicking kids for fun?

Thingumy Tue 11-Jan-11 12:22:58

I think you'll find the 'boot camp' type fitness consists of lots of hardcore training techniques.

Can't see what you are moaning about other than it's another crappy reality tv programme.

DurhamDurham Tue 11-Jan-11 12:25:26

Rubbish thing to watch on tv (it might put me off my dinner) but if it works it must be better than gastric bands or stomack stapling.

scaredoflove Tue 11-Jan-11 12:29:16

All the contestants are checked by doctors before they start

Most people never exercise to high extremes - which is what is needed tbh, 20 mins of getting a little puffed and slightly red in the face twice a week isn't what is needed

Just because you are overweight it doesn't mean you can't exercise

I'm fat and lazy and will fully admit it, wish I had the oomph and gumption to go on one of these programmes

Mumcentreplus Tue 11-Jan-11 12:46:41

Oh please!...they want to see fatties sweating looking like they want to die while they ridicule/break them and then give them a cuddle/affirmation later when it looks like they might leave the show...

there is a difference between motivation and humiliation...some cross the line and the viewers are drawn into it..

charliesmommy Tue 11-Jan-11 12:49:04

There are other channels.

These people were not forced to take part.

I do wonder about some peoples interpretation of bullying. hmm

ShirleyKnot Tue 11-Jan-11 12:53:20

aw man! I would totally watch a kid kicking contest

Mumcentreplus Tue 11-Jan-11 13:03:36

or the lash the poor with sticks factor..it's for their own good I tells ya!grin

Memoo Tue 11-Jan-11 13:05:12

Somebody lost a stone in a week?! Surely that isn't a healthy way to lose weight?

Thingumy Tue 11-Jan-11 13:06:52

Memoo-They were morbidly obese.

I don't think it would be hard to lose a stone in weight at that size if you went on a calorie controlled diet and exercised 4-5 hours a day.

expatinscotland Tue 11-Jan-11 13:06:57

She's doing a job: to sell more of her DVDs.

That's why I don't buy sleb 'get fit' DVDs.

I mean, if you have a trainer, staff like cleaners, nannies, cook, etc. of course you'll probably lose weight.

charliesmommy Tue 11-Jan-11 13:07:20

Depends how fat you are... if you are over 25 stone, then losing a stone probably isnt too drastic.

wayoftheworld Tue 11-Jan-11 13:08:27

We live in this society where no body takes an interest any more on other people lives ( political correctness, minding your business, etc). This people ended up at that stage as no body made that noise earlier. It is about time smb told them (..and me!!) to get off the fat ass and move.

An ounce of practical help is better than a pound of sympathy!!

Mumcentreplus Tue 11-Jan-11 13:16:51

so you wouldn't mind if someone told you loudly as you walked (waddled) down the street to get off you lazy arse anbd get on a tread-mill..because that's practical isn't it?..hmm

Mumcentreplus Tue 11-Jan-11 13:17:43

I mean they are saying it because they care about you right?..<sheesh>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: