Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that the Government shouldn't be flogging off the country's forests?

(61 Posts)
donkeyderby Tue 11-Jan-11 09:01:57

fctu.org.uk/saveourforests/index.asp

I received an email today from a Save Our Forests campaigner which read:

'The Government is currently passing legislation, which will enable them to sell of all of the state-owned forests in England - i.e. everything owned and managed by the Forestry Commission (up to 2m acres). This is expected to go through within 2-3 weeks, whereupon the whole lot will be sold to private buyers.

Legislation covering public access will not apply to all public forest estate, and whilst access on foot will be protected in some instances, there is no requirement to allow cycle or horse riding, or to maintain facilities such as car parks, walks and forest trails.

This seems to us to be gross public vandalism, which will seriously harm the environment in which we live - not only from a nature/preservation point of view, but also in terms of our recreation and well-being.'

If you are as horrified by this as I am, please sign the petition

Fuchzia Tue 11-Jan-11 09:08:19

Will sign the petition. This is a terrible idea.

weblette Tue 11-Jan-11 09:09:32

YANBU

donkeyderby Tue 11-Jan-11 09:15:18

There is a facebook page as well. Spread the word

missismonky Tue 11-Jan-11 09:21:51

Shocking. I have signed the petition.

pascoe28 Tue 11-Jan-11 09:25:11

I disagree entirely and fully support this move by the Government. Private enterprise will create jobs through its use of the forests and, let's face it, jobs have to be a good thing in this current climate.

sarah293 Tue 11-Jan-11 09:25:23

Message withdrawn

donkeyderby Tue 11-Jan-11 09:28:59

pascoe let's hope the private companies will employ all those who lose their jobs when the Forestry Commission disappears then

Blackduck Tue 11-Jan-11 09:30:32

In the words of the song pascoe28 'They paved paradise and put up a parking lot' Have signed....

huddspur Tue 11-Jan-11 09:30:59

I don't know, its not ideal but would you rather see more cuts or further tax rises.

wukter Tue 11-Jan-11 09:37:34

Same thing happening in Ireland.

Another point to consider is not just the recreational benefits of the forestry but environmental.

As climate change gathers apace, it's relevent to consider WHO will have control of water tables, and carbon emission offsets.

LaWeaselMys Tue 11-Jan-11 09:41:01

Well it depends how they are going to sell them off, and if the new owners have to keep the trees.

Although I know at least one person who will be out of a job, since he maintains public forests along with huge numbers of other people.

Blackduck Tue 11-Jan-11 09:41:06

Tax rises...

pascoe28 Tue 11-Jan-11 09:42:52

donkeyderby - public sector jobs are paid for by taxpayers...with our current deficit, this means they are a net cost (tax received from such workers is but a small proportion of the taxes that pay for such jobs).

Some FC jobs will go - but some will be re-employed by private companies (thereby making net contributions with their taxes).

Once said private companies beging to exploit the newly-acquired land (sustainable felling, leisure park development etc), more jobs will be created which, again, will make net tax contributions...helping to reduce deficit yet further.

A virtuous circle, if you will.

LaWeaselMys Tue 11-Jan-11 09:47:45

Well that's an optimistim outlook - shame it tends not to actually work like that.

Let's say the people that buy the forests have to maintain it themselves, but will be paid by government to do so (usual privitisation practice) to make a profit they have to run the forest on less money than the government spent, only way to do that is to cut costs ie jobs, wages and/or services.

Otoh, if they're selling it off for private use with no conditions, chopping down all those trees is likely to have extremely negative environmental impact - increased flooding in some areas, which would cost the public in clean-up costs.

BaroqueAroundTheClock Tue 11-Jan-11 09:48:45

"leisure park development" - actually no thanks - I'd rather the forests were left just as......well forests

sarah293 Tue 11-Jan-11 09:51:05

Message withdrawn

SarfEasticated Tue 11-Jan-11 09:56:16

I would rather pay more in taxes for a decent health & education system and to ensure a green and pleasant land for my grandchildren.

bullet234 Tue 11-Jan-11 09:59:59

""leisure park development" - actually no thanks - I'd rather the forests were left just as......well forests".

I as well.

wukter Tue 11-Jan-11 10:00:37

Me too Sarf.

BaroqueAroundTheClock Tue 11-Jan-11 10:00:39

here you go - this is what DRL Leisure Park Development company do

"Our work includes complete construction of roads, pump stations and sewerage systems; all services i.e. electricity, gas, water, BT lines, Wi-Fi and TV; all soft and hard landscaping, the formation of ponds, water features and SUDS areas both open and hidden areas."

octopusinabox Tue 11-Jan-11 10:04:35

This is shocking. There's so few green spaces left in the country already. Even if you live in the 'country' it's usually just fields of veg or wheat so hardly real countryside.

BaroqueAroundTheClock Tue 11-Jan-11 10:04:39

I'm on a low income(benefits right now) - I've never once been to a leisure park (under any of it's definitions - holiday park, cinema/bowling type complex, or theme park etc) that didn't cost me money. Private enterprise will cost me more money - that I don't have. I want green spaces (and forests) to be able to take my children to that doesn't rely on me having £'s in the bank.

Blackduck Tue 11-Jan-11 10:06:41

article on it here

pascoe28 Tue 11-Jan-11 10:12:13

"Private enterprise will cost me more money - that I don't have. I want green spaces (and forests) to be able to take my children to that doesn't rely on me having £'s in the bank."

Baroque - have you been to a cinema ever? A restuarant? Pub?

Did you expect other people (taxpayers) to pay for those trips as well?

Your intial sentence, "Private enterprise will cost me more money - that I don't have." is entirely apposite - keeping FC land on its books is costing the country money that it doesn't have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now