Talk

Advanced search

to ask dd to walk this much in a day?

(74 Posts)
Dragonhart Mon 10-Jan-11 18:54:31

I walk dcs to school and nursery every school day which involves my just 4yo dd walking;

20 mins to school, then about 10mins standing round before the children go into their class
20mins to nursery
15mins home from nursery at lunch time
20mins to school at home time
20mins from school to home

These times are walking at her speed and if I am on my own takes nearly half that time.

Ds1 has walked everywhere since he was 2 so perhaps he has made me unrealistic as to what I can expect a 4yo to walk?

Plumm Mon 10-Jan-11 18:55:53

Does she complain about it?

altinkum Mon 10-Jan-11 18:57:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

piprabbit Mon 10-Jan-11 18:58:20

Sounds like what I do with my 2yo - he insists on walking, or rather walking/running/hopping/stopping/jumping/peering.

Firawla Mon 10-Jan-11 18:59:47

dont think it sounds too bad

alarkaspree Mon 10-Jan-11 19:01:31

It doesn't seem unreasonable, are you asking because you think she's finding it difficult?

If she isn't complaining about it then great, it's good for her to walk a lot.

gorionine Mon 10-Jan-11 19:03:28

DD4, 4yo walks 25 minutes to school with her siblings then 25 minutes back home with me then 25 minutes to go to nursery (afternoon session)and another 25 minutes to come back home (together with siblings)every week day whatever the weather and she is still very much alive. If we go to the shops or library she walks as well.

your expectations are fine IMHO.

Dragonhart Mon 10-Jan-11 19:03:44

She does complain about it about half of the time, usually when we are late and I have to hurry her. Some of the mums at school have made me feel like it is cruel to make her do it and it is too far. I just wondered!

LadyBiscuit Mon 10-Jan-11 19:05:35

Think it sounds fine - especially when you factor in the speed she travels at. My DS is definitely getting faster the more he walks

TubbyDuffs Mon 10-Jan-11 19:11:31

My 4 year old walks everywhere, and has since he was 3, mainly because we had another baby and gave his pushchair away to her!

I see many children, aged 4 and older (gasp) in pushchairs and wonder why the hell you would push them round when they have perfectly good legs!

No I don't think you are being unreasonable, as long as you aren't making her walk too fast.

Dragonhart Mon 10-Jan-11 19:18:54

I really miss the walk when I dont do it so was dreading everyone saying it was too much.

Ok, so must get out of the house earlier! Then all should be fine. It is currently taking us about 20mins to get everyone's shoes/boots, hats, waterproof trousers, coats and gloves on so I am looking forward to the better weather for more than one reason!

COCKadoodledooo Mon 10-Jan-11 19:19:54

I think it sounds fine.

Ds used to moan like crazy about walking to/from school, but would happily tramp 5 miles or more on the weekend across the Forest at the same age hmm

Have you thought about a scooter for her for the times when you perhaps need her to move a bit faster?

TubbyDuffs Mon 10-Jan-11 19:20:25

Yes, I think the best way is to set off so much earlier, so that you aren't rushing and there is no urgency and you can enjoy the walk!

Dragonhart Mon 10-Jan-11 19:23:50

cockadoodledo- she loves her scooter, but it is not really any faster. She is good on her bike though so maybe I could practice more at the wkends and she can ride to school. Sure she wd love that and would still be good exercise.

UniS Mon 10-Jan-11 19:25:10

Sounds very reasonable. No one trip is more than a mile each way.

WimpleOfTheBallet Mon 10-Jan-11 19:25:37

Not unreasonable at all...I can't drive so my poor DD has been trampint the 4 mile round trip into town with me since she was about 3.

fairtradefloozy Mon 10-Jan-11 19:43:12

No, its a good habit to get into. Exercise and all that. Wish more of us could do it.

Pancakeflipper Mon 10-Jan-11 19:45:57

My eldest when 4 was walking similiar distances. I used to ensure we had a snack on the return home from school in the afternoon. And we'd play games as we went.

Our best conversations are when we are walking.

mutznutz Mon 10-Jan-11 19:51:56

That's absolutely fine and if anyone thinks it's 'cruel' they need their head testing.

One of my pet hates is unecessary school runs in cars and people who think they are somehow too good to use public transport.

Dragonhart Mon 10-Jan-11 20:12:14

Thanks all, glad to know I am not evil for making her walk so much! grin

Eglu Mon 10-Jan-11 20:13:30

DS2 is 3 and walks similar distances every day. I think it is reasonable.

FanjolinaJolie Mon 10-Jan-11 20:22:36

I think mine would struggle with it, honestly. But it's not an unreasonable amount. Mine are not enthusiastic walkers unless walking to the play park.

Although saying that they do cover huge distances on their micro scooters.

katiestar Mon 10-Jan-11 21:09:12

For god's sake you don't think a 4 yo can walk 1.5 hours spread out over the course of a day!!!!

CarGirl Mon 10-Jan-11 21:11:28

It's fine but have you thought about getting her a mini micro scooter - much faster!

GandTiceandaslice Mon 10-Jan-11 21:11:48

In a year she will be at school.So no, she should be walking. Unless she's poorly.
My friend pushing her LO in a pushchair EVERYWHERE. She is due to start school in Sept. I've told her that her LO needs to begon walking. Esp as she loves walking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now