Talk

Advanced search

to think this isn't weird and is quite sensible

(60 Posts)
iwerta Mon 10-Jan-11 15:47:56

My brother and sister currently rent seperate appartments, their rent contracts are both coming to an end and they've decided that they're going to get a place to share as it will be cheaper as they can share costs. My cousin seems to think its weird, I don't think its sensible. AIBU

Poledra Mon 10-Jan-11 15:48:48

'Tis very sensible as long as they can get on as flatmates - not sure my DBro and I could........

tyzer2001 Mon 10-Jan-11 15:51:07

If they get on, it's very sensible.

Anyone who thinks its weird probably has an unpleasant mind, tbh.

solo Mon 10-Jan-11 15:51:45

So what happens if one of them meets the love of their life and wants to sell up in order to buy with said love?
I think it could spell problems tbh and would think seriously about it.

TrillianAstra Mon 10-Jan-11 15:52:16

Of course having a flatmate is a sensible thing to do if you live somewhere with expensive rent.

At least if the flatmate is your sibling you already know their annoying habits.

LittleMissHissyFit Mon 10-Jan-11 15:53:22

Hope it's a BIG flat....

iwerta Mon 10-Jan-11 15:53:33

They're not buying ther just renting so they won't be selling up

TrillianAstra Mon 10-Jan-11 15:53:34

Are they renting together or buying?

If buying then I agree with solo - it oculd be difficult if one wants out and the other can't afford to buy their share.

Pheebe Mon 10-Jan-11 15:53:42

Very sensible, no one would bat an eye at sisters sharing so why is this any different

TrillianAstra Mon 10-Jan-11 15:53:51

x-post

stealthsquiggle Mon 10-Jan-11 15:57:26

eminently sensible - as long as they get on. I know from experience that DB1 and I would (and did) last ~3 months before we were ready to kill each other and my DM was calling the girl we both shared with to offer her sympathy grin

BlingLoving Mon 10-Jan-11 15:57:34

Ridiculous that cousin thinks this is weird. Weird if they hate each other, sure, but otherwise, very sensible. I lived with my sister and would happily live with my brother if the opportunity had come up. The great things about siblings is that a) they have the same basic assumptions that you do eg leave milk for tea/coffee or never leave washing up for the cleaner and b) if you do want to get pissed off with them you can have an argument and, if you're like most siblings, be normal and happy 20 minutes later.

AMumInScotland Mon 10-Jan-11 15:57:51

Nothing the faintest weird about it. Not all brothers and sisters get on well enough to consider it, but that doesn't make it odd if they do get on fine.

JodiesMummy Mon 10-Jan-11 16:03:34

I couldnt live with any of my 3 brothers!

iwerta Mon 10-Jan-11 16:08:01

Good to see people agree with me, my cousin does have some strange views on life

popelle Mon 10-Jan-11 16:37:58

I agree with you it does make sense provided they get on well with each other. I probably couldn't live with my brother without ringing his neck after a while but finanically it is a very prudent thing to do.

Besom Mon 10-Jan-11 16:47:35

I get on very well with my brother usually, but we lived together for a while a few years ago and it wasn't good.

We ended up bickering loads and there was a certain amount of resentment which had to be ironed out afterwards.

My mum was very ill at the time and so there may have been other reasons for us not getting on. But it's just so easy to slip back into childhood patterns.

On the other hand I have a friend who lived with her brother perfectly successfully for a few years.

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Mon 10-Jan-11 16:54:40

I think your Cousins weird tbh

laserel Mon 10-Jan-11 17:31:19

I do see where your cousin is coming from OP. If they moved in next door to me and I went round to introduce myself and he said this is my sister I would think its a little odd for adult siblings to be living next door to each other.

BuzzLightBeer Mon 10-Jan-11 17:33:09

living with each other, not next door.

And why would that be weird? Would it still be weird if it was 2 sisters?

ashamedandconfused Mon 10-Jan-11 17:36:38

DHs elderly aunts have lived in their family home all their lives and they are both almost 80

nothing new or wierd about siblings sharing a home, from a trust POV would be great

might be a bit odd if they are both having partners stay over though

JamieLeeCurtis Mon 10-Jan-11 17:39:04

Why does he think it's weird?

Oh ... I guess it's because they are the opposite sex. If so, he is weird

cikals Mon 10-Jan-11 17:40:47

I think it does sound a little odd but then I'm an only child and have no experience of sibling relationships.

undercovamutha Mon 10-Jan-11 17:47:51

I used to live with my cousin, and although we had quite different views on things (esp standards of cleanliness!) it was still a lot better and easier than sharing with a stranger.

Think I could have shared with my DSis too, so I think your cousin is the one being wierd.

KalokiMallow Mon 10-Jan-11 17:51:27

I was going to share a flat with my brother and husband. It would have made sense, except we couldn't agree on a location.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: