Talk

Advanced search

to take DD1 (3.9) out of nursery for 10 days for a holiday?

(12 Posts)
MrsPickles Mon 10-Jan-11 10:57:30

I don't think I am but would like quick replies if its OK or not before I tell the school today!

She has just started nursery today, its a nursery attached to the school she'll be going full time at in September. In the introductory bumpf it states that we must endeavour to arrange holidays outside school terms etc and make sure she attends regularly. However I imagine this is the same bumpf given to children starting reception. DH didn't get any time off over Xmas & New Year at all, so we booked 10 days away from next week. At the time I didn't even think about the fact she would have only just started nursery! It is a bit unfortuante that she has only just started but she's a very confident outgoing girl and they are doing staggered starts for chilren over the next two weeks so even when she gets back some children will have only just started. So she'll miss 7 days of nursery - is this OK and is there likely to be any effect on the free nursery funding? Arrgh, am worried am going piss them off when she's only just started!

We are going to see family we didn't get to see over Xmas and also to help out my SIL whose baby is going into hospital.

mutznutz Mon 10-Jan-11 10:59:55

It's difficult to say without knowing the school and how they view it...but I'm sure it would be fine if you told them it's been arranged for ages and that you don't intend to make a habit of it (the latter being the part they'll no doubt really want to hear)

Eglu Mon 10-Jan-11 10:59:55

Of course it is fine. There is no legal requirement for her to be in any education setting at this age anyway.

FabbyChic Mon 10-Jan-11 10:59:55

Why not give them a ring and ask if it will be a problem, at least it is at the beginning of her starting and not later.

Don;t see that it would be a problem.

MrsPickles Mon 10-Jan-11 22:03:11

Thanks, I didn't get a chance to ask at pick up at lunchtime as they just let the children out, but will ask when I take her in in the morning. I will say that we won't make a habit of it!

magicmummy1 Mon 10-Jan-11 22:06:02

it should be fine - have a good break!

katiestar Mon 10-Jan-11 22:10:06

They cannot legally withdraw a place unless a child has been absent for more than 28 days without explanation.

Booandpops Mon 10-Jan-11 22:18:50

It won't affect funding. The place is hers aspng as they know she will be back. I wouldn't worry as o e poster said it's not legal and if u can't do it now when can u!

CubaCat Mon 10-Jan-11 22:32:05

For goodness' sake, it's a nursery, she's not doing her A levels! I took DS out of pre-school for a week last September, when he'd only been there a couple of weeks, for a holiday I'd booked before he started. There was no way they could refuse, as legally a child doesn't have to be at school until the term following their 5th birthday. There won't be any effect on the free nursery funding.

Have a lovely holiday!

MrsPickles Mon 10-Jan-11 22:33:53

OK brilliant thank you, I knew that legally she didn't have to be there, I think I was worried about funding being withdrawn but Katiestar that's reassured me thanks. Just didn't know how arsey they might be with me based on the school literature that we were given.

pigletmania Mon 10-Jan-11 23:33:27

Absolutely fine, just let them know of the dates, your dc is not legally required to attend at this stage, so it does not matter, this is what I was told by my dds nursery and we took holiday.

NoWayNoHow Mon 10-Jan-11 23:38:38

If you tell them that the holiday has been booked for ages, from before you knew when she'd be starting nursery, I'm sure they'd be understanding. Just mention at the same time that you'll do your best to ensure that future holidays are outside of term time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: