Talk

Advanced search

To think that too many people rely on Tax Credits?

(269 Posts)
workhardplayhard Sun 09-Jan-11 20:48:15

Reading many of the threads on Mumsnet it seems that a large proportion of contributors rely on Tax Credits to top up their incomes.

I don't know anyone who claims Tax Credits IRL but if I did I don't think it would change my opinion - I think people should be fully responsible for providing for their own offspring without any benefits.

I have stated on a previous thread that I DO believe that people should get some assistance if their circumstances change ( Redundancy/Ill Health) but only for a set period.

I don't think the government should pay for people to have multiple children that they can ill afford to provide for.

I would be interested to hear other views.

gordyslovesheep Sun 09-Jan-11 20:50:18

well yes as a couple we got nadda but when my husband walked out I could have gone on benefits

but I stayed working - with childcare bills for 3 kids to pay - now without TX I wouldn;t be able to work

would you prefer me to be a single mum on benefits or a working tax payer?

Particles Sun 09-Jan-11 20:51:15

Average household income can no longer support an average lifestyle in this country. We don't claim but I know many, many people who could not pay their basic bills (food, mortgage, childcare) based on their wages alone. Wrong, isn't it?

CarGirl Sun 09-Jan-11 20:52:52

Sort out the housing and fuel costs and people won't need tax credits anymore.

usualsuspect Sun 09-Jan-11 20:53:05

If you read the other 99999999 threads about the nasty poor people on here you will find all the views you need

HaveAHappyNewJung Sun 09-Jan-11 20:54:43

Okay, so DH working 50hr weeks for <18k, what, shouldn't have had kids?

I'll use some of our CTC to buy you a biscuit

flippinggorgeous Sun 09-Jan-11 20:55:27

We don't get any tax credits but I don't begrudge other people receiving them. They are designed to help lower earning families who work but may not earn enough to cover childcare costs etc. OP, I bet you do know people who receive them- they just probably don't divulge every financial detail to their friends.

Particles Sun 09-Jan-11 20:55:58

Btw, meant it's wrong that two adults working full time should have to claim for support just to get by iyswim not that it is wrong that they are claiming.

bupcakesandcunting Sun 09-Jan-11 20:56:33

I rely on them. To buy things that I need. I don't spend it on wine and truffles like DC seems to think.

oggybags Sun 09-Jan-11 20:56:48

work hard play hard - I agree with you - we are going to struggle big time whilst I'm on mat leav, and will not be entitled to anything, our joint income is healthy, but as I am the main breadwinner income is vastly reduced when I'm off, but we knew that when we decided to have kids, and that is our choice.
Being a SAHM is unfortunately out of the question for m e - yet me sister in law and husband seem to think we're materialistic in our lifestyle(we're definately not & the only thing I can think they call metarialistic is our annual week in france staying at friends parents) despite them having every computer console /games going,endless tatoos, nice clothes - & her being a SAHM - all funded by over £1k a month in tax credits & CB... I just find it all a bit hard to stomache as I refuse to get drawn into the family politics of essentially paying for her to be at home when I cant afford to be. that was longer than intended sorry!

Meglet Sun 09-Jan-11 20:56:58

I wouldn't eat without tax credits.

Mind you, I could then have a career as a Size 0 model.

notremotelyintofootie Sun 09-Jan-11 20:57:10

Housing costs and general living expenses have risen disproportionately to that of average wages... If it was not for tax credits many of us would be at risk of homelessness or going onto benefits just to live... I would love the luxury of not needing tax credits but while there is such a gap I cannot enjoy that luxury...

expatinscotland Sun 09-Jan-11 20:57:56

'I would be interested to hear other views.'

No, you wouldn't.

People who write such narrow-minded OPs never do.

BringOnTheGoat Sun 09-Jan-11 20:58:00

I am about to apply for tax cr. I have always paid in and never claimed a thing.

H walked out on us just before xmas and I am now responsible for everything - while he pays a couple of hundred quid in maintainence. I now need to work longer hours to support myself and DD, I will now have to pay for the necessary and expensive childcare.

I can only talk about my own circumstances but in relation to me you are talking shit.

Imarriedafrog Sun 09-Jan-11 20:58:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usualsuspect Sun 09-Jan-11 20:59:07

9 posts in and theres the games console and tattoo reference

Bingo

LovePinkBitsOfMyHorse Sun 09-Jan-11 20:59:50

I just put in my first ever claim and am wondering how on earth I managed to get by without that extra £39 a YEAR. It cost more in time and train fares and phone calls than the actual award was worth.

btbetty Sun 09-Jan-11 21:00:11

oggybags - you have my sympathy.

£1k a month in tax credits - the world has gone mad!

gordyslovesheep Sun 09-Jan-11 21:00:18

pmsl - oh yes Usualsuspects

pointythings Sun 09-Jan-11 21:01:26

I don't begrudge anyone tax credits either. DH and I have been eligible before (aren't now) but never claimed because of horror stories from friends and colleagues who had been overpaid and had to pay the money back, like, yesterday... So we tightened belts and didn't bother.

Now we're doing fairly well and I dont' begrudge some of my earnings going to people who may well be in low paid work, working hard and raising a family. Who says that only the rich should have children, and where do you set the threshold? And who's going to do the low paid jobs knowing that there is no safety net for them - either you pay the shelf stackers, cleaners, porters, care workers etc. a wage they can raise a family on, or you help them some other way - but we should show some appreciation for the hard work they do.

charliesmommy Sun 09-Jan-11 21:01:55

the problem is that people in the last twenty years or so, live well beyond their means..

there are very few people left who live by the mantra "if I cant afford it, I cant have it".. and what would, and still should be luxury items, are now deemed as necessities.

Nobody ever suffered because they didnt go on holiday or have every gadget going, nor did many families have 2 cars...

Doobydoo Sun 09-Jan-11 21:02:16

If people are paid a living wage what are they supposed to do OP?

borderslass Sun 09-Jan-11 21:02:35

How do you know that no-one you know in RL claims TC's? maybe they do but just don't tell anyone is case there judged like you seem to be doing.

Serendippy Sun 09-Jan-11 21:02:36

I was going to come on here and say YANBU, there are always people who will take advantage of the system in place to help those genuinely in need. But then I discovered you are braketing people genuinely in need with the scroungers. So YABU.

Doobydoo Sun 09-Jan-11 21:03:04

Meant aren't!!Don't usually get drawn into these threads...pointless

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: