Talk

Advanced search

To think that mumsnet has changed me (a bit) as a person?

(21 Posts)
redshinyshoes Sun 09-Jan-11 20:45:11

I honestly think it has helped me look at people & situations differently, is it a bit of an over reaction to say mumsnet has changed me?!

Mamathulu Sun 09-Jan-11 20:46:44

I have to say yanbu here, as it has DEFINITELY changed me - all for the better, of course! grin

Serendippy Sun 09-Jan-11 20:46:59

YANBU, hopefully lots of things change you. Has it changed you for the better or worse though? {grin}

<has seen lots of people fall to pieces over the years...>

redshinyshoes Sun 09-Jan-11 20:48:49

Ha! For the better definately!

mumbar Sun 09-Jan-11 21:04:31

Yes its changed me for the better too. I am more confident in my parenting, and more confident to ask when I'm unsure (even if it is just anon names on a screen!), and given me much more insight into why people who do things differently to me do it that way iyswim.

I just wish I'd found it sooner.

maighdlin Sun 09-Jan-11 21:29:25

I love mumsnet. Its helped me to realise i can like what i like and not like what i don't like and not really give a fuck about what other people say. I find saying my bit on AIBU helps me say my bit in RL too.

mylifewithstrangers Sun 09-Jan-11 21:33:58

MN gave me a fine pair of judgy-pants!

Without MN how else would I know to look down on the sausage roll eating, froot-shoot drinking, puree feeding, disposable nappying, tory voting masses!

Bumblequeen Sun 09-Jan-11 21:41:54

It has opened my eyes to the fact that I beat myself up (not literally!) over situations I had no control over. Also that I was not imagining things when I felt 'dropped' by 'friends' - they were brushing me off - I was not losing the plot!

nikki1978 Sun 09-Jan-11 21:50:22

I have become a bit more of a feminist since being on here. Used to say whats the harm in lap dancing clubs etc etc but have a slightly different view now that I know some of the facts behind the industry. And have learnt a fair bit about politics.

Oh and something about parenting too! grin

accidentwaitingtohappen Sun 09-Jan-11 21:52:14

It has made me question my relationships more.

HerBeatitude Sun 09-Jan-11 21:53:56

God no, you are so not being unreasonable.

It has put me in touch with women who have made me change the whole of my outlook and worldview.

Hurray! grin

WimpleOfTheBallet Sun 09-Jan-11 23:42:58

I have changed too...I notice that I am far more sure of myself in some ways. Have also learned that Feminist is not a dirty word...but use it to describe myelf proudly.

I feel empowered to be part of something that has real clout within the media...I have two DDS and BMN (before mumsnet) I just worried about certain issues within society..now I can actually try to change them.

TastesLikePanda Sun 09-Jan-11 23:43:13

It's made me realise that i really do want to be a mother. I was terrified before, of doing it 'wrong' but coming on here made me realise that everyone starts from scratch... sounds daft but it's totally changed my outlook!

gibbberish Sun 09-Jan-11 23:50:17

It has made me much more open minded I think.

I used to be very set in what I believed on certain matters but find it much easier now to see things from other people's viewpoints.

cunexttuesonline Sun 09-Jan-11 23:51:04

I've changed, it's mainly positive, but I do find myself getting sucked into issues and getting annoyed about them when BMN I wouldn't have even given it much thought. Eg BF/FF, birthing choices, parenting techniques, sleep etc etc

mrsoliverramsay Sun 09-Jan-11 23:58:26

I used to like reading the Daily Mail but now when DH buys me it on occasion I recoil on horror

clumsymumluckybaby Mon 10-Jan-11 00:25:40

my name is clumsy and im addicted to mumsnet...

it has totally changed me,it's a lifeline for isolated parents,i can (occasionally) look others in the eye now.
and i dont feel quite so insecure about my choices,now i can see the majority of MNers agree with most of them.
i can even try to help others.
fantastic,lovely,sometimes mental,mumsnet grin

MrsBonkers Mon 10-Jan-11 02:44:02

Not been on here that long.
Made me realise its okay to stand up for myself.
However, sometimes I get sucked in and take peoples comments personally.
I also feel like a bit of a 'thread-killer' sometimes and feel like no-body likes me. So I guess it plays to my RL insecurities.

Hmm - time to step away from the laptop for a bit I think.....

RedHeels Mon 10-Jan-11 09:10:31

MrsBonker - I think we all are 'thread-killers' form time to time grin. I bet it'll be me this time hmm as no one contributed since almost 3am...

MN definitely opened my eyes to things I would never come across otherwise. I also realised that other people too overthink what they have said and done and feel a little bit sick in their stomachs at night (although I'm working on it - no point stressing when you can't do anything about it) wink.

RedHeels Mon 10-Jan-11 09:12:31

Or rather: wink).
Welcome to the land of pedancy!

thumbwitch Mon 10-Jan-11 09:14:57

Definitely changed me - I think far more about how I type stuff now, how it might be perceived and I am far less ready to jump in with both feet.

It has also made me realise how many women seem to be in godawful relationships; and has widened my perspectives on what people consider acceptable social behaviours in various situations (notably weddings!)

I have been cheered by the support given to some, distressed by the pounding given to others, encouraged to join in with the humour and discouraged from joining various political and religious bunfights.

But I wouldn't have missed it for anything - it saved me from the doldrums when I'd just moved to Australia, as I still had contact with the same people on MN - a level of continuity that otherwise I wouldn't have had.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: