Talk

Advanced search

to be a bit freaked by my nearly 2 year old saying the word 'sex'?

(27 Posts)
drivingmisscrazy Sun 09-Jan-11 11:22:26

this is a genuine request for advice/reassurance. DD is nearly 2, pretty good verbally. Goes to nursery 3 mornings a week. This morning DP and I had a hug and DD said 'mummies having a hug', followed by 'having the sex'...Now she would never have come across any discussion of sex at home, nor does she watch TV, so the only thing I can think is that a child at nursery has said this when seeing adults hugging (it's an all female staff), perhaps prompted by an older sibling. I'm sure it's perfectly innocent, but I am a bit at the idea that she already thinks that physical affection is sexual (although of course she has no idea what this means). Should I say anything to them about it? She also said something similar when we had a kiss (not a snog) in the car, but I think we both assumed that we had misheard.

So more of a WWYD than a AIBU?

drivingmisscrazy Sun 09-Jan-11 11:22:59

ps she is happy to go to nursery and asks to go on the days she doesn't; really likes her keyworker etc.

mutznutz Sun 09-Jan-11 11:26:12

Do you have a TV in your home? I know you said she doesn't watch it, but if you have one she may have heard something about sex?

bronze Sun 09-Jan-11 11:31:41

Could it be something else and it just happens to be coincidental. I can't think what but my dd used to call her crocs fucks for example and the clock was a cock.

EricNorthmansMistress Sun 09-Jan-11 11:32:06

Chill.

drivingmisscrazy Sun 09-Jan-11 11:36:00

mutznutz yes, we do have a TV, so that's certainly possible - it's almost never on when she is awake, but it's amazing what they pick up. Bronze I don't think so - her speech is pretty clear, and it was tied specifically to a context.

Eric - I know, but my concern is that there may be a child in trouble at her nursery, rather than that DD is. My instinct is to just let it go, but would appreciate input

mutznutz Sun 09-Jan-11 11:40:26

I was thinking of cartoons like the Simpsons for example...they seem to openly talk about sex. It's on at tea time so if you were unaware, you might have no problem with it being on while she's in the room.

Other than that, I can't think she would have picked it up in Nursery if she's tied it specifically to a context.

drivingmisscrazy Sun 09-Jan-11 11:49:04

the only tv she ever really sees with us is Channel 4 news and she never watches it unsupervised. So it's a bit of a mystery confused

mutznutz Sun 09-Jan-11 11:59:45

Has anyone babysat her?

drivingmisscrazy Sun 09-Jan-11 12:04:09

yes, but only when she's already asleep. My DP's mum or sisters sometimes mind her (sisters are all 30+) for an hour or so

drivingmisscrazy Sun 09-Jan-11 12:05:37

C4 news just because it's sometimes on around bedtime grin - poor child!

mutznutz Sun 09-Jan-11 12:07:21

It's a mystery then confused

drivingmisscrazy Sun 09-Jan-11 12:13:53

it is - I think on its own probably nothing to worry about. She's perfectly happy - a cheerful, normal little girl - just don't know where it's come from...

mutznutz Sun 09-Jan-11 12:20:39

As you say, if it was just the word itself it would be understandable...but to link it twice with hugging and then kissing is a bit of a worry.

AmberEyes Sun 09-Jan-11 12:34:14

Having a two year old myself I know that everything is absorbed.Even conversations in shops that you yourself wouldnt notice your DD may be listening to.
I know mine went through a phase of saying 'thats bullshit' nice and clear.a few non-reactions from us and it disappeared.

saffy85 Sun 09-Jan-11 12:56:33

What EricNorthmansMistress said.

tabulahrasa Sun 09-Jan-11 15:19:10

the whole thinking a hug is sex sounds like a slightly older child's reasoning to me - I'd suspect it's come from an older sibling of a child at nursery too

I'd not worry about what she thinks it means overmuch, lol, just ignore it, repeat the yes mummy's having a hug bit and not the rest and she'll soon stop saying it

katiestar Sun 09-Jan-11 15:24:16

She'll have got it from another kid at nursery with an older sibling.
Really, chill it's no biggie!

cupcakebakerer Sun 09-Jan-11 15:36:41

I can't understand why people feel the need to tell people to 'chill' and 'calm down' on here. The OP is obviously concerned and I think rightly so - she wouldn't be a good parent if she just ignored it and didn't think twice about her nearly two-year-old coming out with this. Yes - it's probably nothing to worry about, and more than likely has come from nursery, passed on by an older sibling. But comments telling her to 'chill' etc. don't help. It would certainly play on my mind. Rant over.

Deflatedballoonbelly Sun 09-Jan-11 15:45:51

I feel for you, I would react just the same!

A few years back my DD was chatting away eating her tea and piped up with :What does bountiful penis mean?

I choked on my casserole, My OH nearly passed out and the even the bloody dogs raised an eyebrow.
Turns out she had heard it from The Simpsons when in bed but still awake. Eeeekies.

Chil1234 Sun 09-Jan-11 16:02:16

Have you tried asking her 'who says that?'... they often remember where they heard something interesting.

drivingmisscrazy Sun 09-Jan-11 16:33:22

cupcake I appreciate your support - very much. I don't think it's odd of me to wonder where this came from and to reflect on whether I should be concerned. I don't think my OP comes across as excessive, just concerned that I'm not missing anything important about this. Deflated that one wins hands down!

I think the older sibling scenario is the most likely - possibly some parents caught in the act who decided to explain rather than use euphemisms. Or something that we said but have long forgotten about. I'm sure they'll all move on to something else before long.

Thank you.

FindingStuffToChuckOut Sun 09-Jan-11 16:40:52

At about 2y5months my DD said "My sex is on fire"! I was shock then realised it's a lyric from a song. Not one we play at home, but kids do pick up stuff really easily. She sang it for a while & we just ignore & encouraged other songs then eventually it faded.

JamieLeeCurtis Sun 09-Jan-11 17:18:48

No - I can see why you are perplexed, and concerned in the circs. I suspect this has come from a child who has older siblings. I would mention it at nursery

whatdoiknowanyway Sun 09-Jan-11 18:04:50

I remember being slightly shocked once overhearing a little boy and his mum having a cuddle in a cafe.
She kissed him and said 'I love you, you sexy boy'. To which he replied 'you sexy girl'. They repeated this several times.
I was shock
It seemed all very innocent and loving but to me the vocabulary was totally inappropriate.
Maybe OP's daughter has a similar child at nursery with her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now