Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit frustrated that my dd's "recreational" gym class is having a competition?

(13 Posts)
littlebylittle Sun 09-Jan-11 01:56:57

Have always been impressed that a high achieving place is so inclusive, eg invite only elite groups but enthusiastic, equally expertly coached recreational groups who work towards skills badges in a subtle way where children not compared to each other. Don't consider dd ready or able to do competitions yet, so recreational class perfect. Then today some children invited by letter explained and given out in class to a competition, for which they will spend next five weeks preparing routines. Dd didn't get one and doesn't want to compete, but said it's because she might not win a prize. Feels a bit wrong- nowhere in lit were competitions mentioned. Badges feel fine- they don't all get one if they can't do skills, but all can if they reach the standard. Just feel it's not what we signed up for.

MadamDeathstare Sun 09-Jan-11 02:23:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

charliesmommy Sun 09-Jan-11 02:26:08

If your daughter isnt getting involved in it, then I really cant see what your problem is with it.

I think it is healthy for children to learn to compete though. It encourages them to try.

Spenguin Sun 09-Jan-11 03:12:00

Is she going to worry when it comes to university applications?

However, I see your point regarding being mis-sold the class, so, overall YANBU.

MadamDeathstare Sun 09-Jan-11 05:01:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DullWomenHaveImmaculateHomes Sun 09-Jan-11 07:44:17

Is it your DD saying she's not entering because she might not win a prize, or has that come from the coach? If it came from the coach then that's sending out all the wrong messages about entering a competition isn't it?

littlebylittle Sun 09-Jan-11 08:36:21

I suppose I thought I'd struck gold really-a class that nurtured skills and encouraged individual achievement without comparison that my dd isn't ready for. A little soon to be talking uni applications, I believe there are several years of teaching he skills required to deal wit competing and coping with success and failure before that happens. I see enough children competing without the maturity to cope with their success and failure and that of others and it's a delicate balance between throwin them in to see how they cope and waiting til they're ready. For now, dd needs to get pleasure out of her own efforts and achievement, compared pretty much to herself. The 'won't get a prize' bit just confirms for me. But maybe I'm a wooly liberal.

onimolap Sun 09-Jan-11 09:07:39

You say the class is elite, by invitation only.

I think that gives a strong clue in itself about its attitude to competition.

Plonker Sun 09-Jan-11 09:43:40

What is your main objection?

That your dd's gym class is running a competition or that your dd hasn't been invited to join in with the competition? (which, incidently is the bit that I don't like)

The class may be a recreational class - but where are the gymnasts selected from to join the more elite classes? If they are selected from the recreation classes and then move through the squads, then I really can't see the problem with a competition.

Actually, regardless of whether gymnasts are selected from the recreation class to move through the squads, if the competition is run in the right way, it can be a great day for all the gymnasts and a great sense of acheivement for the children just to get onto the floor and perform.
Plus, it's a nice way of showing parents and family the progress of the children.

The way they're running the competition seems a little odd though.
Throughout the recreational classes at dds' gym club, all gymnasts participate and they are all grouped in such a way that they all recieve a medal. The learn a great deal from these early competitions and the coaches learn a great deal about the children.

I need to know your grounds for objecting before I can decide if YABU wink

penguin73 Sun 09-Jan-11 10:14:18

Is this a competition that your club is running, or a competition that is being run elsewhere that the club has been made aware of and has been invited to send a few people along to. If the first YANBU, if the second then I think YABU- just because you/your daughter aren't competitive doesn't meant that those who are should lose the chance to take part.

I also don't think it's ever to young to discourage children from not taking part in things just in case they don't win - I would be pushing the positives of taking part and trying to achieve her personal best as it's such an important lesson for all parts of life.

penguin73 Sun 09-Jan-11 10:14:51

too even!

moomaa Sun 09-Jan-11 10:20:44

I don't think YABU but possibly naive. Certainly in the gym club near us they welcome all abilities to participate in all types of classes but am well aware they have their beady eyes open for those with potential and then persuade those to go off to the 'secret' invite only classes. My SIL has had children through various classes there and says the recreational type particpants subsidise the elite ones.

Oldjolyon Wed 12-Jan-11 23:42:53

There is so much info missing, that it is hard to make a judgement call.

A few questions I would ask would be...

How old is your DD? Will the children be ranked? Will they all achieve something?

British gymnastics guidelines state that best practice is that children under 8 should not be ranked in competitions etc. Therefore, my DD (age 7) does competitive gymnastics (she is in a preparation squad for the 'elite' squad atm) has never been ranked in a 'competition' even though she has entered a few. In my DD's gym club, all children just get a certificate, and the notions of 1,2,3 etc does not come in until the children are 8/9.

That said, it is common practice for most gym clubs to do an annual competition for the recreation classes, ime. So it is something I would expect from a gym club.

Final question, is the competition in house, or a local competition? At our gym club, children are not entered for comps until the coach is certain that they will pass... there's nothing worse than failing a competition. If it's a local comp, I can understand why only certain children are invited, but if it is inhouse, then I can't see why they can't all join in!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: