Talk

Advanced search

To recon that those who don't believe alien species have visited the earth are just kidding themselves and scared.

(71 Posts)
AgentZigzag Sat 08-Jan-11 22:24:17

And I don't mean the snoring/dribbling species sat next to you grin

We don't know that much about the universe, but the little 'we' do know I recon shows that the probability of other species existing on other planets is more than likely.

If you took it that the number of galaxies we can see at the min has been estimated at 50 billion, and as a conservative estimate doubled that to include the ones we can't see yet, that'd give us a hundred billion galaxies in the universe.

If you said there were about 100 billion stars per galaxy (give or take a couple of billion) and timesing that by how many galaxies there are would mean there's 10 thousand billion, billion (or sextillion) stars.

If what the scientists believe isn't true, and stars that have planetary systems are rare, and just one star in every million had planets orbiting it, that would give ten million, billion planets in the universe.

If amongst those planets, ones that are able to support life are also pretty rare, and only one planet in each million can support life, that'd give us ten billion planets in the universe that can support life.

If you think of how much our technology has developed over the last 100 years, I don't think it's too far a stretch of the imagination to think that the technology of a species that evolved a thousand/five thousand/50 thousand years (I mean what are those time periods when compared to the age of the earth?) before us, could have come up with something in that time that would get them to us?

I've never seen a UFO, or encountered anything weird, but I know that if I did I would be shit scared, so I'm not saying that people who don't believe they've visited us are big girls blouses who just can't face up to the truth.

But I wondered how you're able to ignore the vastness of space and the fact that if we can exist, why wouldn't others?

And why wouldn't they want to have a peek at us to see how we organise ourselves and whether our cakes are worth the bother of a visit?

To me there's more proof they exist than proof they don't...isn't there?

(It might look like I'm donning a hard hat, but it's actually a technologically advanced helmet that'll protect me from buns their weirdy alien thought experiments, good innit <<twirl>>)

Goober Sat 08-Jan-11 22:27:22

biscuit

I lost the will to live reading this post.

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Sat 08-Jan-11 22:28:36

Statistically of course there are aliens on other planets.

But it's too hard to visit us, boot up the iplayer and watch the stargazing programmer where they say that travelling faster than the speed of light is irreconcilable with physics as we currently know it.

You'd need speed of light to visit us.

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Jan-11 22:34:58

Hehe sorry goober, should I have dumbed it daan for yer? grin

Chil1234 Sat 08-Jan-11 22:37:40

YABU... Neither kidding myself nor scared. Just not particularly bothered...

RustyBear Sat 08-Jan-11 22:39:51

Is that word in your title meant to be reckon or retcon.....

Goober Sat 08-Jan-11 22:40:06

Or learnt to spell perhaps.....(no smiley).

LadyOfTheManor Sat 08-Jan-11 22:42:03

Yeah-I just skimmed through the OP. Bores me to death. I don't particularly care for aliens, nor the people who live their lives worrying about them.

Booandpops Sat 08-Jan-11 22:42:04

I believe, but not really sure why you posted this on this forum?? If they want to start blowing us up not much we can do really so I tend not to worry on a day to day basis?!

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Jan-11 22:43:33

Well you learn something new every day, I thought it was spelt recon, but I meant reckon.

Thank you so much for correcting me.

deleting Sat 08-Jan-11 22:45:20

But these distances are absolutely huge so how would they be travelling and how long would it take to pop over to have a look at our cakes. If they did make the effort to come would they really just hover round a bit and then go home or would they have to make it worth their while and take over planet. Though after travelling for millions of years to get here they hopefully would be too knackered.

canihavemypocketmoney Sat 08-Jan-11 22:45:23

Sorry but we are out here all on our own. How many other planets have the right balance of climate, precipitation etc to support evolved life ? And if " aliens" exist in a more abstract form they're hardly likely to want to come here in a huge shiny UFO.

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Jan-11 22:45:41

Wringing my hands about aliens takes my mind off bigger problems boo.

LadyOfTheManor Sat 08-Jan-11 22:46:54

I'd like to throw a spanner into the works;

If GOD made the world, where in the Bible are aliens mentioned?

<<Hides thread>>

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Sat 08-Jan-11 22:48:44

They're there in the book

<taps nose mysteriously>

Chil1234 Sat 08-Jan-11 22:48:50

If anyone visits it'll be roughly the way the Vl'Hurgs and the G'Guvnutt's trip to earth panned out in 'Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy'.

i.e. "For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across - which happened to be the Earth - where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Jan-11 22:49:14

Perhaps thy're really tiny canihave?

My lemon meringue (I made an effort and googled meringue) would make it worth their while deleting, I admit I may be overestimating it's appeal though.

deleting Sat 08-Jan-11 22:49:43

Where's Tom cruise when you need him?

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Jan-11 22:50:33

But what if God was an alien himsen lady? Huh? Answer me that...if you can.

MediumOrchid Sat 08-Jan-11 22:50:56

I agree with your logic for the existence of alien life, but the chances are it's so far away that it will never be able to reach us. It's all very well to talk about advances in technology, but if the laws of physics are such that it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, then no matter what alien life in another galaxy, say, won't be able to reach us nor us them.

wayoftheworld Sat 08-Jan-11 22:50:58

Here you are again LadyoftheManor shooting down another thread...what is wrong honney?? Hubby is only having a two minutes sex on your tummy while you cover your head with the pillow??? Oh no that was the other thread that you did not believe in...

Well dear you might want to go and take your frustration elsewhere. If the thread does not attract move on ...as I am.

LadyOfTheManor Sat 08-Jan-11 22:52:17

Erm that wasn't my post thank you very much.

Is it not logical to throw in theology on a discussion involving aliens?

What on earth is your problem?

wayoftheworld Sat 08-Jan-11 22:53:36

Oh and you are back again!! on a boring thread!!....

ilovemyhens Sat 08-Jan-11 22:54:20

The aliens you speak of could just be tiny bacteria, or reptiles or just chickens confused

My chickens could never manage to successfully build, pilot and navigate a spaceship shock

LadyOfTheManor Sat 08-Jan-11 22:54:25

Yes, because you addressed me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now