Talk

Advanced search

In being disturbed that MN and other "outraged" parents have become the censorship squad?

(659 Posts)
KerryMumbles Sat 08-Jan-11 15:39:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 08-Jan-11 15:43:00

Why should we turn off - we pay our licence fee to watch the thing. How about the programme makers give their customers what they want?

DarrellRivers Sat 08-Jan-11 15:43:18

Hear hear

Crap and depressing show
It sucks the life from yours
Stop it/give it up/turn off the TV and go outside and do something less boring instead

beachholiday Sat 08-Jan-11 15:43:26

Hi Kerry. There are many threads about this. Can I suggest you read them ,especially the posts from bereaved parents.

DarrellRivers Sat 08-Jan-11 15:44:32

Although very interesting how much power all the individual voices have now combined

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 08-Jan-11 15:45:52

I think the real reason, Kerry, is that there was a huge opportunity to get a really important message across about SIDS, and the BBC had to go and mess it up with a ridiculously insensitive storyline about baby-snatching.

But you should read the threads here, as beachholiday says, before passing judgement.

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 08-Jan-11 15:46:13

Oh, and it wasn't just Mumsnet - there was a huge outcry from Facebook and the general public as well.

WilfShelf Sat 08-Jan-11 15:46:21

You don't think bereaved mothers have enough shit thrown at them already to justify being pissed off at a major conduit for public culture misrepresenting them?

It isn't about the fact that a baby died on the show, it's about the social exclusion that bereaved mothers are experiencing. People have the right to be represented with dignity, especially when their lives are fucking hard enough already.

wukter Sat 08-Jan-11 15:48:35

Why the hell not Kerry? If enough people don't like something why shouldn't their voices be heard? Start your own campaign for ever more insensitive, tasteless, shock-factor tv shows. See who'll give it to you. Oh hang on - that's not neccessary.

BelligerentGhoul Sat 08-Jan-11 15:48:44

I agree, Kerry.

I don't watch Eastenders, or any other soap, but I don't think it is the place of MN to be involved in censoring decisions.

I am truly sorry for any parents who have lost babies but banning storylines from fictional programmes isn't going to help them. Shall we censor books that involve tragedies; shall we censor the news?

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sat 08-Jan-11 15:49:29

I agree about the censorship. There's no doubt that the storyline has really caused a lot of anguish amongst people who have been so affected but really, what is the future for soaps? Every single storyline is going to affect somebody somewhere. Each incident means as much to somebody who has gone through it.

I think that there are quite a few people jumping on the bandwagon, perhaps feeling a sense of importance and comaraderie?

If I'm badly affected by a programme, I don't watch it - it would be like picking a scab for me. Everyone's different I guess.

YouCantTeuchThis Sat 08-Jan-11 15:49:56

If this were Corrie (which I don't actually watch, but anyway) I would roll my eyes and sigh.

But we pay for this irresponsible nonsense!

In my eyes, if they are going to behave like the commercial, ratings-seeking channels then they no longer reserve the right to funding via the TV license.

Can't have it both ways.

Newgolddream Sat 08-Jan-11 15:50:01

"giving the customers what they want" - the problem with this is that we are all individuals and as such will like different things - so what someone wants wont necessarily be the same as what the next person wnats. So for many soaps are enjoyable - like myself - and for others they arent. (this is not about the cot death EE storyline as there is many threads about that already, just soaps in general)

Just because 1 person thinks they are crap doesnt mean others will, its about individual opinions and freedom of choice at the end of the day.

I certainly dont think my liking of the soaps "sucks the life out of me" lol. The last thing I want to do when I have worked all day is to go outside thanks, I want to cook dinner and relax with my family, plenty of time for going out at weekends.

gorionine Sat 08-Jan-11 15:50:49

I think it is not so about censorship, No one is saying that cot death or should not be talked about, it is a demande for it to be treated sensibly and making the story writers aware that this particular plot has been reserched very poorly and gives a very wrong view of bereaved mothers. EE might be "fictional" but for a lot of people it is to close to home to be percieved as such. Now if EE was set on a different planet and the actors were aliens perception would probably be different.

Hassled Sat 08-Jan-11 15:51:10

Kerry - have you read Justine's letter and the response? Whether or not it is a fictional show is completely irrelevant, and your outrage compared to the pain this has caused bereaved parents is similarly irrelevant.

I care a lot more about the views of the parents going through a degree of suffering I can't begin to imagine than I do about your concerns over censorship, frankly.

Numberfour Sat 08-Jan-11 15:51:49

I agree: it's tv show - switch the thing off if you do not want to watch it.

I am amazed at the outcry over this. complain by all means, but all this hoo ha is absurd.

activate Sat 08-Jan-11 15:51:58

it is lowest common denominator

and the general public's desire to be outraged that is taken up by media's desire to fill empty space

it is ridiculous and I agree with the OP

travellingwilbury Sat 08-Jan-11 15:54:57

Why start a new thread to say something that has already been voiced numerous times already ?

<<goes off to bang head repeatedly again>>

KerryMumbles Sat 08-Jan-11 15:57:05

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 08-Jan-11 15:57:09

I wonder which of the bereaved parents 'desired' to be outraged in this way? The lowest common denominator in this case is not the viewer, it's EE for airing such a poorly written, misinformed script with the sole purpose of sensationalising a tragic and all to common event.

I'm not even sure that the censorhip arguement washes - the BBC has listened to the thousands of complaints and has agreed to shorten the storyline. That doesn't match any definition of censorship that I could find.

mayorquimby Sat 08-Jan-11 15:57:10

yanbu about the self-importance stance that people on here and outraged parents sometimes take when they put themselves out there as the protectors of morality.

KerryMumbles Sat 08-Jan-11 15:58:30

Maisiethemorningsidecat Sat 08-Jan-11 15:58:31

Who should be the protectors of morality then?

mincenmash Sat 08-Jan-11 15:59:24

Its called freedom of speech

KerryMumbles Sat 08-Jan-11 15:59:26

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: