Talk

Advanced search

to only want people on this thread who agree that school setting research topics for a 6 year old

(302 Posts)
activate Sat 08-Jan-11 12:09:34

is lazy teaching

as a teacher you do not set homework for children that they cannot acheive without parents doing it for them - you set homework for them that they can acheive with parental support

it is two different things

and this time I am going to say something

mutznutz Sat 08-Jan-11 12:13:53

Why would researching mean you have to do it for them?

Yes you're being unreasonable for only wanting certain people on a thread.

belgo Sat 08-Jan-11 12:14:42

I agree. And yes you should say something.

HaveAHappyNewJung Sat 08-Jan-11 12:15:06

I think I agree (therefore can I half stay on the thread?)

I think now and again that type of HW is fine occasionally, I loved that from a young age and could do it with a bit of parental support.

However I'm guessing from your phrase "this time" that it happens too much and you have my sympathy!

My DSDs have always had lazy HW - the worst of which was getting asked to prepare for lessons by "looking up sex education online" angry - thank goodness their older brother was there when they googled it.

narkypuffin Sat 08-Jan-11 12:15:36

????????

Don't understand what you're saying so I have no idea if I agree with you.

activate Sat 08-Jan-11 12:15:40

because she is 6 and not a reader

beacuse she is 6

6 year olds do not do topic research before they are taught - they are taught and possibly do a little extension work to embed the knowledge

(and I'm joking about the agreement)

narkypuffin Sat 08-Jan-11 12:16:49

shock at looking up sex ed

mutznutz Sat 08-Jan-11 12:21:04

6 is well old enough to research a topic? If she is not a reader...that's where the parental support comes in. You don't have to do it for her, but you should do it with her.

COCKadoodledooo Sat 08-Jan-11 12:23:43

Ds1's homework is only ever reading, spellings and a bit of maths (he's currently doing 3/4/5 times tables) - he's in year 2.

I don't think research work is automatically lazy teaching though. Ds1's class have been studying the rainforest recently - they use library books, class books and the internet. In school time though. They don't have to follow it through like that at home, but some do.

I dunno, maybe I'm swayed because ds1 is an uber-geek and will pick a topic of his own to find stuff out about.

Fwics, further up the school/in secondary school, a lot of their work will be done like that, so setting good study habits now will help them.

narkypuffin Sat 08-Jan-11 12:25:08

Do you mean research before a lesson eg pick up some background before you're taught about it or do you mean eg pick an animal and find out something about it. If it's pre lesson research then it's a bit much for a 6 year old.

onimolap Sat 08-Jan-11 12:25:50

YABU if you think you can control who comes onto a thread......

HaveAHappyNewJung Sat 08-Jan-11 12:26:54

I know, it's been 3 years since sex ed googlegate and I'm still annoyed (they were in yr5).

Obviously if we had known about the HW early enough we wouldve told them not to do it, and why not, but they were at their house with DH's exW. What makes us more annoyed is that exW was perfectly fine with it and was happy for them to do it unsupervised (their brother only stepped in because he's sensible) but that's a whole other issue...

narkypuffin Sat 08-Jan-11 12:28:03

Just realised that I was being dense and your post is perfectly eloquent blush

More coffee.

mincenmash Sat 08-Jan-11 12:28:07

I don't agree with homework for primary kids at all. I think it should be abolished until secondary.

narkypuffin Sat 08-Jan-11 12:29:31

hmm at ex-wife

BertieBotts Sat 08-Jan-11 12:30:26

Yes micenmash I agree Why the hell do they all have homework now anyway?

BertieBotts Sat 08-Jan-11 12:32:02

Although actually, if it's as COCK says and they are encouraged to pick a subject they are interested in and explore/research that, then that doesn't sound too bad, actually it sounds quite positive to me

nikki1978 Sat 08-Jan-11 12:35:20

Sounds fine to me. DD gets this sort of stuff once every month or so. I like being able to do some educational stuff with her and it means she gets some one on one learning time which obviously doesn't happen much in schools.

You have a job to educate your child too you know? Lazy teaching? No lazy parenting more like wink

huddspur Sat 08-Jan-11 12:38:55

I don't think so provided it is related to something that has always been taught in class.

DilysPrice Sat 08-Jan-11 12:39:21

My worst ever hw was in reception where they had to write down the recipe for the cakes they were bringing in for the Comic Relief cake stall.
A) because since when has home baking been compulsory for these events? (I do home bake, but that's my choice, there should be no shame in bringing in shop bought, or opting out if you just can't manage it that week).
B) because it's an entirely unrealistic writing project for many 4 year olds.

Dunno about the research thing. DS (6) had general research for this term's topic as his holiday homework and he coped, despite being far from a model student, but I can see it would be a nightmare for a non reader.

SofiaAmes Sat 08-Jan-11 12:39:48

I completely agree with you. I went on strike a few years ago and now announce to my children's teachers at the beginning of every year that I will NOT be doing homework. If my kids can complete their homework with what is available without parental intervention around the house, then it will get done. Otherwise it won't. And I expect that my kids will not get punished because their mother (dh lives out of the country) can't/won't do homework with them.

Having said that, last month, dd who is 8, managed to do a superb report complete with 4 page animated PowerPoint presentation without an ounce of assistance from me.

Emjxxx Sat 08-Jan-11 12:40:00

I kinda get what you're saying. My DS1 is 6 in year 1. When he went back to school in Sept they were set a 2 week research topic on "Your family tree and roots" Well the minimum that was expected of them was a family tree and a few paragraphs about where you and your family are from.

Trying to get my 6 yo son who is not a fluent reader, who doesn't have a very long attention span and who is still learning to write and spell to actually sit down with me and go through our family tree and explain what it was and our family history was not an easy task.

I have got quite a lot of old family photos on the computer and we do have a large family so I got him involved as much as possible, showing him photos and telling him who they were and who they were to him, as in uncle, great great nan etc. We then had a talk about our family and where we come from, explaining that some of our family live in Ireland, some in Canada, some in Australia and some in England. When it came to presenting the work he chose the photos off the computer that he wanted to use but I did all the rest of the work, organising it, typing it up, explaining about family history, we hand write the family tree, it only went back 5 generations but took up 4 pieces of A4 paper, I got my DS1 to write a few of the names and dates of birth, but tbh it was too much for him and I ended up doing 95% of it. I really felt that the homework was way too much to expect of a 6 yo, it took hours and I have 2 other children to see to as well.

To top it all of he handed it in to his teacher and said "there's my homework Mrs X, It's my family tree, I think the real ones is planted in Ireland Land theres' lots of old photos of people, I don't know who they are, oh and I'm a bit Canadaish"!!

flyingvisit Sat 08-Jan-11 12:41:53

i like the idea.
It encourages parents to get involved.

mutznutz Sat 08-Jan-11 12:41:58

Researching after being taught about something is good because it reinforces what they learnt...equally, researching before being taught is good too because it'll be easier to understand and they will perhaps have more questions in mind to ask.

Snakeears Sat 08-Jan-11 12:42:32

Why would getting kids interested in something by doing research be lazy teaching - you are being odd - learning doesn't just happen at school. it's supposed to be school and home working together.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: