Talk

Advanced search

To find this a tad hypocritical?

(16 Posts)
reinitindear Sat 08-Jan-11 01:11:32

Not so much hypocritical but strange. Walking home from school the other day I spotted someone I know smoking out of her back door so her children didn't breath in the smoke.However she is 7 months pregnant. It made me chuckle slightly as in you are protecting your children who are already here but not your unborn child.Before I get flamed I did smoke and stopped for both my pregnancies started again when dd1 was 8 (not in the house and 3 a day on the way back from school etc) have not started again with dd2 17 weeks but have also not had a drink yethmmThis is not a judgy post at all I just thought ok you are away from your dcs great! but your baby has no choice?

whomovedmychocolate Sat 08-Jan-11 01:13:50

Maybe she was having five minutes peace away from the larger of the little buggers?

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 08-Jan-11 01:17:05

jeez have we not had enough pg and schmoking threads tonight fgs

mutznutz Sat 08-Jan-11 01:20:02

FFS what is it with this smoking obsession?

For what it's worth I rarely believe anyone on the internet who claims to have given up throughout every single pregnancy and then started again after the birth...if it was that easy to kick such a habit then why do so many give it up and start again 9 months later??

Perhaps if there weren't so many judgemental nose pokes around, pregnant women could tell the truth and get the help they need?

julybutterfly Sat 08-Jan-11 01:21:52

'this is not a judgy post'

Yes it is

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Sat 08-Jan-11 01:22:19

lots of smoking threads tonight.

i don't pretend to understand it, I'm not a smoker. whatever gets them through the day.

i did have a little laugh at my aunt though. she doesn't smoke in the house when her DGCs are there, but if they go outside to play she will smoke. if they happen to run back in again, she will quickly run to the back door and finish so they don't breathe it in. don't worry about all the smoke in the living room or anything aunty. hmm

BaroqueAroundTheClock Sat 08-Jan-11 01:24:23

I knew a woman who rapidly cut down and quite during her first pregnancy (think she finally stopped at about 3 months pregnant). Started again when her first was about 5 weks old. Then quit again with her 2nd (she says she had one pack on a day in the middle when she had a huge row with her husband).

When she was pregnant with her 2nd one of her neighbours was also pregnant due around the same time , she (the neighbour) smoked and drank her way through quite merrily until 28 weeks. When her baby was born prematurely and died. This woman who had quit smoking and didn't touch a drop of alcohol during any of her pg's quietly criticised her and judged her behind her back. Especially when within the year she was pg again but still smoking and drinking heavily.

A few years after that the women fell pregnant with her 3rd - and smoked all the way through her pregnancy. Said she tried to quit but couldn't.

Funny old world isn't it.

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Sat 08-Jan-11 01:30:57

i think it's so sad that it can have such a hold on her that she couldn't quit baroquin. i bet she was her own hardest critic. sad

AlternativeAlter Sat 08-Jan-11 01:36:07

Testing.

BaroqueAroundTheClock Sat 08-Jan-11 01:37:09

I don't think she every intended to "fully" quit - just stop during her pregnancies - she was on about 40 a day when she fell pregnant with her first so cutting down to nothing was a huge thing. She had something like 1 or 2 a day before stopping totally.

The pack she smoked during her second pregnancy she smoked in a bus station in another town (was before the smoking ban came in) having packed a bag and walked out during the row.

The 3rd - it was unplanned (though much wanted by ^her) and she it nearly broke her marriage up when she decided to keep it. She tried to cut down, but only managed to get it down to about 10 a day. Of course as she'd judged her old neighbour so harshly she felt like shit about not quitting 3rd time round.

Thankfully all 3 children were born fit and healthy smile

reinitindear Sat 08-Jan-11 01:38:34

Ok it was really not meant to come across as a judgy post it did actually raise a smile when I saw her.I did stop when pregnant but started again so not a huge anti smoker I meant to post this as just a she thinks she is being good maybe hypocritical wasn't the best word to use.It just reminded me of one of those cartoon strips you see where people are are talking about others where it represents themselves iyswim.I haven't even seen any other smoking threads tonight sorry to be boring!This wasn't meant to be a judging on smoking while pregnant thread it was meant to be that I found it amusing/strange that a pregnant woman would worry about her dcs but no unborn dcs.I understand that it is an addiction. It was meant to be light hearted I obviously misjudged and I am sorry

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Sat 08-Jan-11 01:41:29

oh i was talking about the woman whose baby died, i didn't realise it was your friend that had smoked during her third pregnancy but yes, i'm sure you're right, she probably did feel bad about judging the other woman. glad everything was ok for her though. smile

BaroqueAroundTheClock Sat 08-Jan-11 01:45:43

Yes she smoked through her 3rd pregnancy after heavily judging the neighbour a few years earlier.

She felt like the worlds biggest hypocrite and is still wary of openly judging other peoples actions now unless they're absolutely blatantly no questions asked bad actions.

The neighbour smoked through her 2nd pregnancy - had that one prem too - but thankfully survive smile

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Sat 08-Jan-11 01:47:18

ah yes, i understand now.

OtherwisePerfect Sat 08-Jan-11 01:48:34

I stopped the minute I found out I was pg with mine.

Started again at 5 months old-ish.blush

reinitindear Sat 08-Jan-11 01:51:00

I wasn't trying to openly judge I just found the disparity strange/amusing I must have misrepresented my view totally sorry smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: