Talk

Advanced search

to complain to school about not wanting to pay for this piano lesson?

(15 Posts)
wishingforcrystalball Fri 07-Jan-11 22:35:08

My youngest (6) has piano lessons at school, started in September.

Since he started, 6 times (in a 12 week term) the day and time of his lesson has changed, each time it has occurred, I have found out after the event, when my dc has come home upset as didn't have their music books on them, and blaming me for not sending them in with the right books. I pointed out to dc if I don't know it's changed then I can't know to send in music bag.

Each time I have contacted the school secretary (my dc is only one in his year group to have music lessons, so numbers wise not a huge headache, not 30 children all being pandered to, please could they either
a) minimum let my dc know lesson will be changed day before
b) preferably drop me an email
c) put a note in bookbag to advise.

Every time I've been told of course we'll inform you direct we won't expect your dc to remember to tell you, we will drop you an email.

Every time they haven't and have apologised and said they would do it next time.

Now yesterday was first day of term - dc returns with all normal paraphanalia (games kit etc), but not piano bag. Guess what, tears last night, it was piano and you didn't give me my piano bag. School have sent me emails (personal not generic ones) over the holiday, not once was there 'piano will be on first day.'

Didn't have time to speak to school today - but AIBU to say on Monday, I'm not paying for yesterday's lesson, as dc had no book - not piano teacher's fault it is school's fault?

MatureUniStudent Fri 07-Jan-11 23:02:47

Could you not just keep his piano book in his rucksack everyday - so it was always there if the school had been disorganised in telling you about piano lessons? And why don't you liaise directly with the piano tutor?

wishingforcrystalball Fri 07-Jan-11 23:12:34

He has a separate piano bag as his bookbag is normally full (school send home homework book, spelling book, 2 reading books and record book every day).

He would also prob forget it at school a couple of times a week, so wouldn't be able to practice.

wishingforcrystalball Fri 07-Jan-11 23:13:35

Also don't have any way of contacting piano teacher she just comes in to do lessons, so no number at school, don't have an external number or email for her.

curlymama Fri 07-Jan-11 23:14:54

YANBU, although I think not paying anything at all might be taking it too far. You should be able to expect the lesson to be on regular days, it's disruptive to his learning apart from anything else. And if it has to be changed, they should tell you.

I think it makes a difference if the teacher is external and only comes in to do music lessons, I think if she is then she could contact you directly about any changes. If you inform her you need to be made aware and she doesn't, then YANBU not to pay at all.

If the teacher is a normal teacher at the school, the school is at fault.

FabbyChic Fri 07-Jan-11 23:16:22

Does he not have a clothes peg specifically for him where he can leave it all the time.

charliesmommy Fri 07-Jan-11 23:19:07

So, on the day he thought he had the lesson, presumably he had the book with him, he goes to the lesson and they tell him when his lesson has been changed to.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Jan-11 23:22:18

YANBU, but just a thought - I don't know how much your DSs piano book costs, but I know my DDs flute books are not that expensive relative to the price of music lessons - could you perhaps just get him an extra one to keep at school (if there is somewhere it can be kept).

Might cause a lot less angst all round.

wishingforcrystalball Fri 07-Jan-11 23:24:17

He needs to practice FabbyChic so can't just leave it at school.

It is the school that change the day of his lesson.

My understanding is that his lesson is wanted by another child (not a particular child) who is on a school trip or other activity when their lesson should be, so they shunt my dc lesson around.

I understand the reasoning, but it is the school moving it not the teacher, not the teacher's fault. They just need to notify us even if the evening before that is what they are doing.

wishingforcrystalball Fri 07-Jan-11 23:26:02

Good point GrimmaTheNome - I haven't searched for the books, but I presume as just a learning to play book, must be able to get it, the teacher had provided the book.

DiscoDaisy Fri 07-Jan-11 23:27:12

Curlymama- The schools my kids attend vary the times and days that the music lessons are so it's not always the same classroom lesson that's missed. iyswim.

wishingforcrystalball Fri 07-Jan-11 23:29:49

I know saying not wanting to pay is extreme -curlymama, but I thought money may talk - I've tried just talking, and they've said the right response but not done it, so I thought if I removed cash it may make them respond.

piprabbit Fri 07-Jan-11 23:33:30

I'd put it in a nicely worded note, obviously your conversations with the school aren't getting followed up.

I'd make the not paying a bit of a threat, something you'll do if the situation continues.

charliesmommy Fri 07-Jan-11 23:38:15

The book will be the standard piano lesson book that is used by all teachers for piano grades I would have thought.

It is very easy to get in any music shop, or on amazon.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Jan-11 23:38:39

I'd be very suprised if you can't get it on Amazon (I was quite suprised when DD was told some specific title how very easy it was to obtain)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now