Talk

Advanced search

Is there a kiss code for texts and the like?

(15 Posts)
MittzyBittzyTeenyWeeny Fri 07-Jan-11 17:24:33

Not sure where to stick this but ermmm....

when you get and send texts is there a protocol to how many xx's you put on and to whom?

Like 1 X is sort of formal, 2 XX's... a bit closer and so on?

And why do people you don't really know stick kisses on txts?

And is calling someone by your forename initial (ie just 'S') a bit weird really, especially if you aren't that close...

Thank you kindly smile

lifeinagoldfishbowl Fri 07-Jan-11 17:26:29

1) I often put 1 x on a message to friends.

2) Maybe they wrote your whole name and then realised it would take their message over 1 text to 2, so deleted a fe unnesecesary letters to make sure it was only 1 text.

usualsuspect Fri 07-Jan-11 17:26:32

I only put kisses on close friends and family texts ...I sometimes use just the initial if I can't be arsed to text the full name

usualsuspect Fri 07-Jan-11 17:27:23

its quite common to just use an initial to make sure only one text is sent

mumface Fri 07-Jan-11 17:31:09

I put a x at the end of messages on texts/facebook as a way of saying 'best wishes' or even to replace a full stop in a kindly manner, doesn't mean I love that person or would kiss them IRL. I would maybe put xx for a family member of closer friend. It's a way of being polite. I would also use an initial to shorten a message if I didn't want to type it out over and over, and wouldn't feel it was being over familiar with that person. But that's just my perspective.

BertieBotts Fri 07-Jan-11 17:34:04

I don't put kisses on as a rule. I might put one on if it's a close-ish friend, especially if they tend to send them to me. Sometimes a kiss signals the end of a conversation. (But some people put them on every text. A bit like netmums.) I would put more than one kiss if it's the kind of friend who you could say "I looooooooooove you!" to. I put kisses on texts to my boyfriend, but not on every one, usually just at the end of a conversation. I don't usually kiss him between sentences when we meet in person!

Not sure about initials as I don't tend to refer to people by their own name in texts? confused I might delete some letters of words if it's only just gone into 2 messages etc though.

PaulaMummyKnowsBest Fri 07-Jan-11 17:35:08

i always put a kiss on my texts.

I am just being friendly and want the text to come across that way as you can't always tell from a text what the "meaning" behind it is.

usualsuspect Fri 07-Jan-11 17:37:39

No kiss means you have got the hump grin

MrsPennySworth Fri 07-Jan-11 17:42:00

I usually put 1 kiss to everyone and 3 to my dh cos I wuuuvvv him grin

PS If I have the hump with dh the kisses decrease dependant on the level of 'humpiness' - if there are none at all you know there's trouble grin

LisaD1 Fri 07-Jan-11 17:58:20

Haha, I do this too, always 1 x to anyone I text (even my 2 male bosses!) and 3 or 4 to DH. If i'm annoyed then no x's at all.

MittzyBittzyTeenyWeeny Fri 07-Jan-11 18:25:30

grin at no xx's meaning you'v got the hump!

See the sense in not going over into another text and shortening the name to an initial. Just thought it was weird as it hadn't been done by anyone else.

So 6 xx's from someone I don't really know might be construed to be a bit hmm? (not linked to them in a personal way, just aquainted)

charliesmommy Fri 07-Jan-11 18:26:36

or they got their finger stuck on the x key... ;)

MittzyBittzyTeenyWeeny Fri 07-Jan-11 18:40:41

good job it wasn't to his Bank manager then grin

The next war will be started by a text glitch!

FabbyChic Fri 07-Jan-11 18:44:07

I only put x on texts to my bf.

My friends used to do it all the time, not sure why they just did.

Think it is up to the individual.

FabbyChic Fri 07-Jan-11 18:44:26

I only put x on texts to my bf.

My friends used to do it all the time, not sure why they just did.

Think it is up to the individual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now