Talk

Advanced search

Not to want to talk to GP about private counselling

(8 Posts)
reluctanthomosapien Thu 06-Jan-11 15:23:53

I am undergoing counselling for depression, which I am paying for privately. However, I needed a GP referral to activate my health insurance, which I got. I've had a few sessions.

I have today received a summons from my GP, asking me to "...make an appointment for a review with a doctor following [my] sessions with [the counsellor]."

Am I unreasonable for thinking that it's up to me if I want to do this and to ignore this letter? As far as I'm concerned, what is going on in my privately paid for sessions is none of my GP's business. I'm not sure whether the counsellor is reporting back to my GP, as the referring party, I will need to check.

Does anyone with a similar experience know what the GP might want to discuss?

Thanks in advance!

tory79 Thu 06-Jan-11 15:27:42

I would have thought it was maybe to see how your depression was benefitting from the sessions rather than anything to do with the content of the sessions. They might want to review your medication etc (if you are on any)

scurryfunge Thu 06-Jan-11 15:30:44

I have been in a similar situation. The GP will be making sure you are being fully catered for. They will not want to know the ins and outs of the sessions and whether you feel you are benefiting from them.

OTheHugeManatee Thu 06-Jan-11 15:44:59

If the GP referred you to the counsellor, and that's being used as grounds for a health insurance claim, then it's kind of fair enough that he wants to check how you're doing.

If you don't want your GP poking about in your counselling, and you don't want it on your medical record, then you might have to arrange counselling privately (obv with someone UKCP or BACP registered) and just pay for it yourself.

reluctanthomosapien Thu 06-Jan-11 15:49:51

No, not on any medication. Thanks for your responses re them wanting to make sue I'm getting the right counselling, I hadn't thought of that. To be honest, I've recently moved to where I'm living from London, and I'm used to GPs not giving a toss once you've left their office (sorry for generalisation about London GPs, but that's been my experience).

reluctanthomosapien Thu 06-Jan-11 15:58:15

OTHM xpost, it was more a case of me wanting counselling, the health insurance people okaying it, but them needing the GP referral first. The GP didn't proactively refer me, just did this when I told her I had medical insurance. The GP would have put me on ADs, she specifically said she could not refer me for counselling on the NHS locally as I do not have a mental illness. Hence why I'm a bit surprised by the request. I have osteo/physio paid for on health insurance following a request by me for a GP referral, but I've not needed to speak to my GP about that. Just seems a bit odd.

curlymama Thu 06-Jan-11 16:00:23

I don't think you will have to go int any detail at all with the GP, you shouldn't have to answer any questions that you don't want to.

lilyliz Thu 06-Jan-11 16:26:15

gp won't want to know what you talk about with the counsellor but only if you feel you are benefitting from it and if not may suggest some medication,he really is only looking after you so be grateful for his interest as this does'nt always happen.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: