Talk

Advanced search

I think we do live in RIP OFF Britain

(52 Posts)
GabbyLoggon Thu 06-Jan-11 14:21:48

I look at prices in the shops and think: How do poor people live.?

DooinMeCleanin Thu 06-Jan-11 14:29:07

By looking in cheaper shops I would imagine.

We are hardly rich. We eat well. Mainly fresh as it's cheaper. Make use of the greengrocers and farmers markets. Find a good butcher. Eat veggie few days a week.

It's not rocket science.

We manage to get away each year by saving hard and shopping around for brilliant deals. X-mas is either saved for all year round on on interest free credit (normally a mix of both)

Clothes are normally bought in the sales or just one a two key items at a time. We more for better quality stuff for us, as it lasts longer, so is cheaper in the longrun. The children's stuff is mainly Next and Tesco, both fairly cheap imo.

Cheap days out - park, beach, soft play.

I really don't think day to day life is that expensive tbh, if you plan and shop well.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 06-Jan-11 14:32:04

It used to be much worse!

OTheHugeManatee Thu 06-Jan-11 14:32:05

I agree. DP bought a cashmere sweater yesterday for less than the cost of a single peak-time train ticket to work.

Oh. Wait. Does that work?

bear

<awaits flaming>

BeenBeta Thu 06-Jan-11 14:34:53

I tend to agree.

Went out a few weeks ago for a pizza, ice cream, 2 large glasses of wine/cokes, coffees at a well known chain and then to the cinema with DW and 2 DSs.

It came to £100 for simple 'treat' afternoon out. We were up North, not the West End of London. We can afford it but I DID think, how can people on average wages afford this?

CatIsSleepy Thu 06-Jan-11 14:37:25

well
the cafe at the RSPB reserve in Rainham charge 4 quid for a cheese toastie
if that isn't a rip-off I don't know what is <mutter mutter>

GrimmaTheNome Thu 06-Jan-11 14:39:48

Yes, but if you did that at home - 2for1 pizzas, mega bottle of generic coke, DVD, it wouldn't have to cost much.

geezmyfeetarecold Thu 06-Jan-11 14:41:03

It is a case of "start as you mean to continue". We are more frugal than many people who arent as financially secure as us.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 06-Jan-11 14:45:33

You're supposed to take sarnies and a flask when you go birdwatching.

So far the 'rip off' examples (apart from the implied train ticket) have not been anything like necessities.

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Thu 06-Jan-11 14:45:45

Apollo cinema only charge £4 each on a tuesday, we go then and get a kids combo (£2.50 for a coke and popcorn) or sneak our own sweeties in wink

GabbyLoggon Thu 06-Jan-11 14:49:24

DOOIN I meant much poorer than you and I (Geddit?)

BeenBeta. The £100 seems monstrous.

Manatee: how far are you travelling by train? (dont you dare flame manatee)_

Cat: The toastie should have been £2.50

What we have here is vastly different income groups. (from Beggars to Beckham)

Optimists think we could do better on the "share out"

cheers "Gabby"

Ooopsadaisy Thu 06-Jan-11 14:49:24

I am extremely frugal. It is how I was brought up.

Meals are planned around special offers and BOGOFs that I've put in the freezer. I spend more freely on good fruit and veg.

Shoes/Clothes - charity shops/ebay/car boots or sales. I plan ahead for growing dcs. I spend freely on dc where I can - particularly good coats and shoes.

Holidays - forget it.

Cinema - special offers and discount days.

Car - old and cheap to run. Bike to work.

Gas/Electric - constantly stressing about this. Wear loads of jumpers to avoid putting heating on. No dishwasher or tumble dryer. Timed showers.

Books/DVDs - swap club with friends + libraries.

When we have some money spare we really think hard about what to do with it.

Desperately needed new bed (I mean REALLY). just spent £800.00 on it. Makes me feel queasy with worry.

curlymama Thu 06-Jan-11 14:51:30

Petrol prices make my blood boil on a daily basis.

CatIsSleepy Thu 06-Jan-11 14:55:00

grimma-sarnies and flask ok in summer
in january with various small and whingeing children in tow, no blinking way!

but i agree, not a necessity
is this thread about necessities only? or about rip-offs in general?

ApocalypseCheeseToastie Thu 06-Jan-11 14:56:46

Hate to point this out but not having heating on can actually end up costing more in the long run, burst pipes, damp etc

GabbyLoggon Thu 06-Jan-11 14:57:31

OOPS....A great post. I cringe at the fact that you cannot afford to keep warm...

Then again I kept my clothes on in bed when it was 10 degrees under. (I mean the weather not the bed)

We live a little like you. And we aint broke. I dont think I could ever do real luxury living. Its not in my nature.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 06-Jan-11 14:57:49

Petrol is expensive - but unless things have changed since I last looked its expensive in most European countries so you can't claim it for 'Rip off Britain'. That designation should be for things which are more expensive here than elsewhere. e.g. Cars used to be horribly overpriced relative to other countries, they aren't now.

I suspect there are 'rip off britain' candidates - public transport maybe (just a guess, don't have figures)

mamatomany Thu 06-Jan-11 14:59:15

I plan to become a right tight arse this year and spend as little as possible on anything and if I must buy it'll be 2nd hand.
We have 4 children and just going for a pizza is incomprehensible now, 3 years ago it was a weekly occurrence. i just wouldn't pay £100 for a day of entertainment.

DooinMeCleanin Thu 06-Jan-11 15:01:05

'DOOIN I meant much poorer than you and I (Geddit?)' - grin

Dh works on minimum wage, but can only find temp work after being made redundant so we are on benefits about 40% of the time. I work a few hours a week also on minimum wage. We have two children, two dogs and a cat with special dietry requirements and a morgate, which we can't claim benefit for.

Is that the sort of poor you meant?

BabyDubsEverywhere Thu 06-Jan-11 15:01:16

You dont put the heating on but will spend 800 quid on a bed? that makes no sense to me confused

LoveRedShoes Thu 06-Jan-11 15:01:44

Having lived abroad, I agree there is a degree of being ripped off in the UK. But, we are on an island, and like it or not, that does affect the prices of things.
However,I do think there is a lot of general overcharging in the shops. Food was certainly cheaper when I was abroad, but then, the selection and freshness even of the local produce was pretty crap compared to the quality and choice you got in the UK.
Clothes were more expensive here in general, but once you factored in the choice you have (Topshop etc..) you could find better things cheaper in most cases, if top quality was not an issue.
The UK offers a lot of choice for shoppers. But I also think that in the UK, I seemed to accept that things were expensive and just paid it - I now feel like I have woken up a bit and shop around a whole lot more.

Ooopsadaisy Thu 06-Jan-11 15:04:58

Gabby - I'm with you. I think I'd be the same if I won the lottery. It's so deep in my psyche as my whole family is the same.

My Mum had nothing when I was a child (long story) but refused a council flat and free school meals because she was too proud.

We do keep warm. We keep active and wear layers. We try to use the heating only when we really need it. The health snd well-being of dcs being paramount here.

I am on a campaign to buy no clothes this year. Exception being anything dcs actually need (as oppose to want). I am quite determind as I dislike the materialistic buying culture we're in.

God I sound like a miserable bitch don't I?

Kendodd Thu 06-Jan-11 15:05:55

We have an above average income but still can't afford to buy anything! I went to the sales recently because I needed some new shoes as mine were falling off my feet. I saw most people with loads of bags packed full of stuff, how do they afford it?

Ooopsadaisy Thu 06-Jan-11 15:08:36

Babydubs - I know what you're saying.

It's our first new bed or mattress in 19 years. We are buying it because the old one is knackered. Three springs are right through the mattress and the frame collapes every now and then and has been fixed so many times we can't have sex anymore (laughs!!! - but it is true).

We want to buy something that will really last us (and we can bonk in).

Don't make me worry about this purchase any more than I already am!!!!

GabbyLoggon Thu 06-Jan-11 15:09:37

Catissleepy.....Well necessities are vital.
But prices in general I suppose.

I dress cheaply and well; but I dont pay daft prices.

We look at a pair of shoes, which arent anything special...price £90...we burst out l laughing at the ludicrosity. Posh jewellers, we laugh even more. An average looking watch £2,500. (This is surely the new alternative comedy...) Whats the "mark up?"

One does have to see the funny side of things. But necessities are what matters.
I will list Food, shelter, warmth, clothing,
a social life, something to laugh about..A
solid bed for the newly wed..."Gabby"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: