Talk

Advanced search

To wish it was socially acceptable to be hairy

(67 Posts)
roseability Wed 05-Jan-11 22:50:48

I would laugh with relief and cry tears of joy

I am so sick of waxing, plucking, shaving etc.

I am dark haired and have PCOS which means lots of hair in unwanted places. However I am not convinced the hair removal is for myself and having read the thread about pubic hair removal, I despair at yet another war against the hairs

SarahStrattonsBaubles Wed 05-Jan-11 22:52:11

Why can't you just do as you please? If you don't want to wax or pluck or shave just stop. It doesn't matter what other people think, just what is right for you.

jasper Wed 05-Jan-11 22:52:11

yanbu
I feel your hairy pain

PeeringIntoAFestiveVoid Wed 05-Jan-11 22:55:02

YANBU. I feel the same.

roseability Wed 05-Jan-11 22:55:27

I am not waging war on my vagina

I remove hair from my tummy, toes, nipples and upper lip. Painstaking and time consuming. The pubes stay

KurriKurri Wed 05-Jan-11 22:56:27

Do what you want - hairlessness is over rated - I lost all mine when I had chemo a while ago, and I was bizarrely excited when my pubes reappeared grin (under arm hair has left the building though)

I could do without the beard though grin

floweryblue Wed 05-Jan-11 22:58:16

I have got so lazy recently that I now have 'mohair shorts', I am attempting to bring in a new MN fashion, please support me!

SecretNutellaFix Wed 05-Jan-11 22:58:46

rose- I too have PCOS.

My back is hairier than my DH, my chest is getting as hairy as his is and my facial hair? Well, let's just say that if I didn't shave daily I would have a most impressive beard by the weekend.

I have had to stop caring about what I look like for my own sanity, after being bullied about it for years.

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Wed 05-Jan-11 22:59:42

I am dark haired and hairy, too. At least, I was until I had children, then something changed and I started losing my hair. Just not necessarily in the 'right' places. I don't know what's more upsetting: being hairy or balding - neither are 'acceptable' for women.

But why should I suffer for someone else's ideal of beauty? Why should I make my skin crack and bleed in order to be hairless? Hairlessness does not define femininity. And why should I be ashamed of not having hair where others do? Hairyness does not define femininity.

I try to say that, and I don't force myself to bow down to convention. But I still feel shit about my hair anyway.

lololizzy Wed 05-Jan-11 23:00:14

don't hate me but sometimes i wish i had excess hair to remove (result of dodgy thyroid) Would love the joy of out of control brows to pluck, etc! lost outer corners and looks freakish so keep fringe long

donkeyderby Wed 05-Jan-11 23:04:19

It's crap. Any tips on how to deal with moustache and chin hair - on the increase as I age? I want to do something about it this year (apart from sitting in my kitchen with a jolene creme bleach tash every month while the family try to make me laugh so it falls off)

Wax? Laser?

SarahStrattonsBaubles Wed 05-Jan-11 23:08:50

Wax bloody hurts on tash. Can't recommend it at all. Personally I'd stick with the bleach creme. Nair brings me up in a rash and you also get stubble much the same as shaving. I'm not sure about laser, I know it's only really effective on certain hair/skin combos.

Chin hair has put an appearance in here too. I just pluck it. I'll confess to quite enjoying hunting the little bastards down although I wish the hair on my head grew as fast.

curlymama Wed 05-Jan-11 23:09:36

Donkey, laser if you can afford it, I would love to be able to. Otherwise have you thought about threading? Removes hair the same way as waxing, it hurts, but it's better for your skin.

nurseblade Wed 05-Jan-11 23:11:36

If you are sick of removing it and want it gone then laser hair removal is your answer. If you are sick of removing it and just want to be hairy then just be hairy. I personally remove my body hair but couldn't care less what anyone else does with theirs. I very much doubt anyone would even notice.

SarahStrattonsBaubles Wed 05-Jan-11 23:18:21

Do you get the little dotty spots from threading? I've tried waxing tash but I get a rash.

Particles Wed 05-Jan-11 23:18:32

Wizard beard - do itttt!

curlymama Wed 05-Jan-11 23:24:46

Sarah, I suppose you might get the dots if your skin is especially sensitive, but I didn't. You shouldn't get the rash like you do with waxing because with wax, the top layer of skin gets taken away. That doesn't happen with threading.

SarahStrattonsBaubles Wed 05-Jan-11 23:30:34

Thanks. I might give threading a try then smile

BadaBingBang Wed 05-Jan-11 23:36:42

YANBU, at all. Let us be as nature intended, men as well as women. And while we're at it, bring hats back into fashion, they make so much sense, to keep your head warm in winter and keep the sun off in summer,

supersalstrawberry Wed 05-Jan-11 23:42:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oldraver Wed 05-Jan-11 23:43:37

PCOS here as well so I spend more time plucking neck hair than my B/F spend shaving. I realiseI dont have brilliant mirrors/light (bathrooms have Velux so no devent windows to help) when I go to others houses or public loos and think shit I still have a beardafter all that plucking

Iwantscallops Thu 06-Jan-11 01:04:24

I'm off for my first laser session (face) next week after plucking up the courage for years (excuse the pun!). Can't say i'm enjoying letting it 'grow in' but I hope it will be worth it in the end!

I'm avoiding mirrors and brightly lit areas at the moment. Come next week I may be sporting a balaclava!

Bloody PCOS.

KalokiMallow Thu 06-Jan-11 01:30:44

Don't remove any hair that you don't want to. Though I hear you on the unwanted hair, got PCO (not PCOS) and also have facial hair. Which is such a good look with dark hair and pale skin hmm

madhattershouse Thu 06-Jan-11 01:43:13

Thick winter tights are great...the leg hairs don't stick through! Have a veritable bush growing under pits...hate summer...it's just too much effort to de-hair for the little chance we get to actually bare all hairy bits! By the way if dp want's a bare fanjo he will have to get his balls threaded first...and only if I can do some!! grin

babeinthewood Thu 06-Jan-11 01:52:50

love it love it love it ladies you are always certain to make me laugh whatever the subject!

I cant imagine how horrible it must be for you ladies with PCOS I had a contraceptive pill that made me grow a beard once - nice! but that was easy to sort out so I do feel for you guys

for everyone else however, wherever you may be let your fluff grow free.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now