Talk

Advanced search

in wanting to rant about this new neighbour?

(12 Posts)
janct Wed 05-Jan-11 18:41:37

We've recently moved. I knew I knew my new neighbour from somewhere but couldn't place her until today when she mentioned the name of one of my friends.

Current neighbour's eldest (I think he's about 19) used to be friendly with one of my friend's sons. Current neighbour has always been over-protective of her own children, both in safety and also in who they have as friends...she's very up her own rear end.

Anyway, years ago the two young lads (they were about 12) were visiting my friend's mum. She (the lad's grandma) allowed them to walk together to the local park, emphasising they were to stay together. No major roads to cross, but it was a good 15 minute walk away.

Except they'd been there about half an hour, current neighbour happened to be driving past and saw them. Apparently she parked the car on double yellows and got out shouting at her son to go to her, which he did. She then bundled him into the car and drove off, leaving the other young lad to walk home alone to his grandma's house.

Grandma was livid, my friend was livid, but current neighbour refused to speak to either of them and by all accounts blamed the two of them for putting her son in danger. This was in spite of the fact that as far as my friend was concerned her mother was looking after the two boys.

Anyway, current neighbour obviously finds me to her 'taste' but she's spent a good hour today slagging off my friend. I've told her about our friendship but it didn't stop her. The worst thing was when she started a good 10 minute rant about the above scenario, saying she nearly sued my friend for leaving two twelve year olds with a 65 year old, even though beforehand she'd given her permission. Apparently, if she'd known the grandmother's age (bear in mind she knew my friend's age so could have had a rough idea) she wouldn't have agreed to it as she doesn't think people over 50 have the qualities required to deal with young children!!!!!!!!

Well, I'm in my mid 40s and she's pushing 40, so what's she going to do when she has grandchildren herself? Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

donnie Wed 05-Jan-11 18:45:11

the trouble with neighbours is you have to live next dooor to them. I would bite your tongue and firmly resolve to keep a wide berth. She sounds like a bit of a precious nutjob to me. Be polite but frosty. That is how I would play it.

humanoctopus Wed 05-Jan-11 18:45:53

Time to keep your distance, I think.

Just be busy whenever she tries to get chatting.

She obviously isn't someone you want in your life so you might as well call it a day.

manicbmc Wed 05-Jan-11 18:45:53

If she comes round again, make your excuses. Or tell her straight that you disagree with her wholeheartedly and she'll think you are an undesireable and leave you alone.

manicbmc Wed 05-Jan-11 18:46:09

If she comes round again, make your excuses. Or tell her straight that you disagree with her wholeheartedly and she'll think you are an undesireable and leave you alone.

charliesmommy Wed 05-Jan-11 18:55:20

Jeeeze.. at 12 I was out doing my mums shopping for her and going into town on my own on the bus... amongst other things...

I would just avoid her like the plague from now on.. or tell her she needs to sort her head out.

Katisha Wed 05-Jan-11 18:58:40

Doesn't sound like you tried hard enough to stop her ranting about your friend if she went on for an hour.

I know it's difficult to be impolite but next time perhaps you just need to say, look, this is still a friend of mine and I don't want to discuss her or her family in these terms.

Greenkit Wed 05-Jan-11 19:10:08

I would just say 'thats my friend your slagging off' and walk away

mumofloads Wed 05-Jan-11 20:02:30

Oh dear 50 is looming for me this year. What shall I do with my 3 year as obviously I will be completely incapable of looking after her hmm.

She's a loon, agree with others tell her thats your friend she's bitching about.

bethelbeth Wed 05-Jan-11 21:10:53

Ooh she's a piece of work, just be a bit stand offish next time you see her and if she asks why tell her that you don't agree with some of the things that she is saying.
If she wants to be friends with you she has to act like a friend.

BluddyMoFo Wed 05-Jan-11 21:12:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MorticiaAddams Wed 05-Jan-11 21:17:24

My now next door neighbour (who is lovely) had an altercation with the man who lives in the house behind her which she told me about when I first moved in. I already knew about it as that man is also my friend's Dad and also a lovely person.

I just told her I was very close to them and as I understood it there was fault on both sides and made it clear I wasn't interested in talking about it further. The matter was dropped and we get on very well.

I think you need to make it clear that you are not going to listen to any more talk about your friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now