Talk

Advanced search

to stop my husband buying another expensive mountainbike??

(11 Posts)
Nanc123 Wed 05-Jan-11 00:06:56

I am 16 weeks pregnant and now a part time worker after my first child.

My husband earns the same as me even though he is full time. I am quite worried about not being able to take a full year off with this baby due to the finances being worse off than last time.....

therefore I was slightly distressed when I was told that my husband wants to buy a better version of his mountain bike for £800 (alot of money for us)

he has a flash mountain bike already and constantly buys smaller purchases around it obviously without discussion, but he feels that I am the unreasonable one as he all he can think about is a suped up new bike and is not spending a second worring about our actual finances.

Do other women have to be the decision makers to keep you from going under or am a a nasty cow?

charliesmommy Wed 05-Jan-11 00:08:11

Is he going to sell his old bike first and put the money towards his hobby?

allnightlong Wed 05-Jan-11 00:10:56

It really depends on how you go about your finaces as a family.
If you do sperate accounts and go 1/2 on everything then I'd say yes YABU it's his money.

But if you have a joint account and share everything and all purchases are discussed bewteen you then YANBU.

Nanc123 Wed 05-Jan-11 00:11:12

no its only the frame that costs £800 he will use the rest of the old bike on the new one (that does sound sensible) but we dont have spare cash at the moment!

scurryfunge Wed 05-Jan-11 00:11:53

I can top trump you with bikes. My Dh feels the need to own 4 and is still hankering after a 5th. It drives me nuts.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 05-Jan-11 00:12:00

YANBU - he is an irresponsible idiot.

DH is a camera nut. When he wanted a new camera (despite having a very good one already), he put his existing camera and an lens he didn't use much up for sale on ebay. Only once they had sold for a good price did he buy his new camera, and the items he had sold covered well over two thirds of the cost.

Perhaps you could suggest something similar to your DH around his bike?

Nanc123 Wed 05-Jan-11 00:14:09

we have separate bank accounts but everything is shared all big purchases are talked about.

I was especially pissed off because he mentioned that he would use the 'money that his mum gave him" as though it was his - when the money that my Nan left me in her will paid off joint debts!!!

upahill Wed 05-Jan-11 00:18:59

Tricky! If mountain biking is his Passion 800 is not a lot 4 a decent bike. 2000 would be nearer the mark with some if my friends spending 6 grand. You r getting off light. That said I remember being saint with a baby and having 2 make do until things become easier and I could afford a decent bike. (i'm saving up again! ) I do understand your sh but be has 2 go easy until things are better.

charliesmommy Wed 05-Jan-11 00:19:54

I would suggest you get a hobby and insist on having a nice £800 camera grin .. equality!!

Nanc123 Wed 05-Jan-11 00:35:38

thanks for advice -

upahill thanks - it will be over £2K after he puts all the expensive gear from the first bike on it -
I know it is an addiction but fed up with being the financial monitor

thanks all - I might go on a massive bloody girls weekend and see how he likes those apples!

RailwayChild Wed 05-Jan-11 00:40:56

Nanc - I would seriously consider separate bank accounts where you both pay in a sum of money to a joint account to cover joint bills and what's left in your acc is yours to spend ....... and NOT be used for baby/household etc

Same for him and then he is free to buy whatever he likes with regard to bikes.

BUT you must be scrupulous in setting it up to make sure you both cover joint bills and you don't end up financing his life by covering certain expenses that should be joint

(I speaketh from experience)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now