Talk

Advanced search

If someone makes a mistake shouldn't they put it right??

(14 Posts)
clux73 Tue 04-Jan-11 13:56:43

This is fairly trivial in the grand scheme of things but its made me really cross.

My 5 year old daughter has swimming lessons at 4.30 on a Weds. Today I have had an email saying "We've swapped her to 11.30 on Saturday". When I asked them to explain why they said that I'd asked them at the end of last term to move her (I didn't) so then they admitted that they must have mixed her up with someone else. Now though they have given her place away and can only offer us a 6pm lesson. This is way too late for her to properly focus on a swimming lesson (bathtime is usually at 6.30!) and then come home for tea and bath, and really late for her 2 year old sister who I have to take with us, and I'm really cross.

THey have admitted to making a mistake - shouldn't they then do something to put it right??

trixie123 Tue 04-Jan-11 13:59:46

absolutely they should try to do everything possible but they can't exceed maximum numbers and unless they can identify who originally wanted the swap (which shouldn;t be that hard becauise presumably they are asking why they haven't been moved)the only alternative would be to lket down someone else. Can you not do the 11.30 one for a 1/2 term and then swap back?

squashedfrogs Tue 04-Jan-11 14:01:16

I think I'd go back to them and say that as this is their error, it is up to them to sort it out with the third parties involved and you will expect your daughter to have a place in the 4.30 class when you arrive at the next scheduled class.

Don't accept their offer and if they don't agree just reiterate that it is up to them to sort it out and repeat that you will be expecting your original arrangement to be honoured and your daughter will be attending the 4.30 class.

I'd be mightily peeved if I were you.

clux73 Tue 04-Jan-11 14:03:31

We used to do Saturday mornings but swapped because we ended up missing loads of lessons due to other commitments. Or having to wait until after the lesson to go away for the weekend and it just became too restrictive which is why we swapped to a Wednesday.

I know its not a big deal - I just feel really grumpy about it!

WhatsWrongWithYou Tue 04-Jan-11 14:04:28

I agree they absolutely should sort it out but I very much doubt that they will.

Sounds like their hands are tied if they've given the place away, and I doubt anyone would have the nerve to phone the new incumbent and bump them off the list.

Squashedfrogs' idea is good but if you're dealing with a jobsworth you don't get anywhere ime.

clux73 Tue 04-Jan-11 14:07:23

Thanks everyone - I kind of agree with you all. In a dream scenario they would swap someone out of the 4.30 to give us our space back as it is completely their mistake but in the real world thats just not going to happen.

I'm annoyed because the lessons are brilliant and she's been going for ages and loves her teacher, and now I just feel really cross with them.

LittleMissHissyFit Tue 04-Jan-11 14:08:37

Er, they have made a mistake, they need to tell whoever took up the new place that this is not possible and transfer THEM to another class.

I'd be livid.

MsKLo Tue 04-Jan-11 14:12:24

Totally agree with littlemiss

They need to sort it out and you should not have to go another time!

curlymama Tue 04-Jan-11 14:12:34

They should, but in this case you are right about the fact that they won't. They probably have a waiting list so unfortunately you custom probably just isn't that important to them.

The whole system of class swimming lessons is the reason my two stopped going after they both became confident swimmers, it was a nightmare tring to get your name in near the front of the queue just to get the same time you have had for the last two terms when they move levels. And then trying to make sure you can get two of them in at the same time, or at least in consecutive lessons.

squashedfrogs Tue 04-Jan-11 14:13:02

I realise you may need to gear yourself up to be fairly determined to try my method and as WhatsWrong points out, it is reliant on someone having the guts to tell the other parents that they don't actually have a place afterall.

Another approach might be to say outright that it just isn't possible to attend the classes offered due to other commitments. This again has it's downside as you may be left with no options at all if they won't move from their position.

I think it depends on how much inconvenience the available options will cause vs how far you would like to push it to try and get your daughter a place back in her original class as to what the best approach would be.

kenobi Tue 04-Jan-11 14:14:13

The absent rate for swimming classes at this time of year is really high as so many children are sick - you could turn up for the 4.30pm class and slot in if someone doesn't make it?

This would really pee me off too. Like you say, it's not at big deal in the grand scheme of things yet at the same time it really affects what you are trying to do with your DD.

NinkyNonker Tue 04-Jan-11 14:17:47

Is this a big franchise? We're having similar issues with baby dd's lessons. 2 out of 4 cancelled so far.

Yanbu by the way.

clux73 Tue 04-Jan-11 14:19:22

I don't want her to stop the lessons as she's very close now to being able to swim very confidently so I am slightly afraid to call their bluff and say its either the 4.30 or we leave.

I accept that sometimes they have to move to the lesson before or after (we used to be at 5pm) but i know that her group is still at 4.30 as i've texted her friend to find out if he's still at the same time.

Also, I've always requested the earliest possible timeslot at the end of each previous term.

Worst case scenario would be having to go at 6pm with a tired 2 year old and a 5 year old who is tired and who won't give 100% to the lesson. Then we'll have a frantic rush home to have dinner and be late going into the whole bedtime thing. Really not ideal.

clux73 Tue 04-Jan-11 14:20:47

NinkyNonker - not a big franchise. A small local company. They've never cancelled a single lesson in the year we've been going.

Kenobi - very good point about the absent rate. There is hardly ever a full class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now