Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To Be An Angry Mum?

(34 Posts)
LeQueen Tue 04-Jan-11 13:34:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BuckBuckMcFate Tue 04-Jan-11 13:36:08

Not too harsh imo, they have broken a chair!

LIZS Tue 04-Jan-11 13:38:43

how old are they ? Doesn't sound unreasonable to me althoguh I may give them the opportunity to earn back the treats.

altinkum Tue 04-Jan-11 13:39:10

MsKLo Tue 04-Jan-11 13:42:22

Don't be too hard on yourself. And dont give in now as they will remember that! It is better that now the 'punishments' are in place, you leave them there but maybe say that you will review things in a week or two if they behave? That way lessons are still learnt and they get something they want - eventually!

Kids fray all our tempers - you are not alone!

curlymama Tue 04-Jan-11 13:42:30

What ages are they? That's probably a bit harsher than I would have been, but my boys fight all the time and get upset with me for telling the other one off when one of then has just screamed. We'd never do anything if I punished them too much for fighting!

You know your children best and you gave them what you thought was an appropriate punishment. If you feel really guilty you could always make them earn the treats back by doing chores.

LeQueen Tue 04-Jan-11 13:43:40

LeQueen Tue 04-Jan-11 13:45:44

LadyBubbaAndBump Tue 04-Jan-11 13:45:48

It sounds like you know for you and for them it's a bit harsh (not saying it is, but that's the sense I get from your posts). If that is the case, I'd get them to 'earn' their treats back over the next few days. Redeeming themselves for their wickedness!

Lonnie Tue 04-Jan-11 13:49:58

a 6 and 7 and if it is out of charector for them then I feel that it is way to harsh a punishment. What will you do if they do something really bad?

For me (I have 4 kids) something like that would have got them each a extra (not nice) chore (something like cleaning out a cupboard or going through their clothing and throwing out old stuff) and a 30 min quiet time. I wouldnt have taken priveledges away to the style of what you di.

YANBU to loose your temper it happens your human, the punishments however I feel are to harsh. they are siblings and will argue pick your battles

LadyBubbaAndBump Tue 04-Jan-11 13:50:32

sorry, x-post but great minds think alike!

Ooooh, you can have fun here!

Have they written their Christmas thank you letters? Does your silver (?) need polishing? Do their shoes need polishing?

altinkum Tue 04-Jan-11 13:53:59

LeQueen Tue 04-Jan-11 14:14:55

altinkum Tue 04-Jan-11 14:18:31

LeQueen Tue 04-Jan-11 14:24:10

altinkum Tue 04-Jan-11 14:25:17

LeQueen Tue 04-Jan-11 14:26:42

TattyDevine Tue 04-Jan-11 14:28:38

I like the idea of earning the treats back.

I guess if they didn't have a warning they were specifically about to lose those treats, and a chance to correct the behaviour, and there is no chance to earn them back, there is little motivation to behave apart from the threat of losing even more stuff.

It does send a good message that the behaviour isn't tolerated or rewarded though.

So yeah, see how earning them back works...watch them behave like angels. Hell, you could even milk it a bit grin

Onetoomanycornettos Tue 04-Jan-11 14:32:04

Mine don't argue much either, but if they do, they both get very upset and cry lots. I usually consider this as punishment enough and make them apologise to each other (or the offender to the one hurt). Doesn't sound typical so I wouldn't cancel a party over what was essentially a minor row between siblings which happens (chair was an accident really). Perhaps I am too soft?

BootyMum Tue 04-Jan-11 15:03:49

Why is DD1 being punished if DD2 pushed her off the chair and thus it broke?

ElfPantsAtMidnightMass Tue 04-Jan-11 15:09:56

It's because they live in the 19th century, Bootymum, where embroidery threads, dressing tables and doll's houses are commonplace, and where these miscreants are lucky not to be sent up the chimneys.

I do feel a bit sorry for DD1 though. She was being annoying, but DD2 was being violent (pushing over the chair and injuring DD1). Whereas her punishment (missing out on party) is harsher, I think.

gordyslovesheep Tue 04-Jan-11 15:14:17

because it was DD2's chair and she was not supposed to sit there?

I don't think it's too harsh

cheesesarnie Tue 04-Jan-11 15:19:55

i dont think its too harsh.i think you are punishing yourself too much!

LeQueen Tue 04-Jan-11 15:24:54

LeQueen Tue 04-Jan-11 15:28:18

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: