Talk

Advanced search

pictures of your children as gifts

(59 Posts)
Filibear Tue 04-Jan-11 13:18:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

belgo Tue 04-Jan-11 13:20:37

Are the photo frames nice? If so, replace a few of the photos with your own baby when he/she is born.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jan-11 13:20:48

grin

YANBU - that is mad, the cheapskates.

And it is not as if you could take the pictire of DN out and replace it with something else, either.

Weirdos.

suzikettles Tue 04-Jan-11 13:23:17

I think with these sort of photos you're only meant to keep the most recent one or too....

....otherwise I'm probably mortally offending my SIL confused

I like that she sends me photos of my neice and nephew but wouldn't dream of keeping more than a couple on display.

suzikettles Tue 04-Jan-11 13:23:49

too = two

ChippingIn Tue 04-Jan-11 13:25:00

Why not just keep one favourite from when he was a baby and the most recent one out, put the others away - maybe take the photos out and put them in an album and use the frames for something else or donate them to charity - you don't have to have them all around the place.

I love getting the photos, but it always seems odd as a present to me, sort of look how wonderful x is, you are so priviledged to have this. I got one off of my sister this year of her, her DH & their 3 kids, in a frame which always seems a bit 'you must display this' to me and I get very 'I'll choose what is on display at my house and what is not' <it's on the coffee table grin... for now>

moondog Tue 04-Jan-11 13:25:20

I went right off quite a good friend when she sent me an (expensively framed) photo of her kid.

Then I went off another when she sent me an (expensively framed) piece of her toddler art.

W
T
F
?
?

LaWeaselMys Tue 04-Jan-11 13:25:41

I did this at DDs first Christmas. We were just very strapped for cash! And afaik the relatives were happy.

He can't possibly expect you to display them all. I wouldn't.

Onetoomanycornettos Tue 04-Jan-11 13:26:02

Yes, you are not obliged to keep them all up as a permanent shrine. Select the most recent and keep that up, and store the rest in a box in the cupboard, and put up lots of your own child when it arrives!

Filibear Tue 04-Jan-11 13:26:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

moondog Tue 04-Jan-11 13:26:27

Correct etiquette is to send one of those loose naff school photos every so often for them to nod at before tucking away out of sight. That and the occasional photo sent as email attachment suffices.

PigValentine Tue 04-Jan-11 13:27:25

It's nice for Christmas, but I wouldn't do it for birthdays. I do do it for a couple of my aunties and uncles - they are very well off, and there is very little they would like I could afford to buy them - and I know they appreciate the gifts. If they are just giving it to you as they give them as "blanket" gifts to everyone it's a bit thoughtless, and fine not to have all of them on display.

NewbeeMummy Tue 04-Jan-11 13:27:38

ok sad confession time here, we gave all the GP's a framed picture of lo and oursleves, however we won't be doing it again, as it's so expensive to get these things done professionally, and the GP's had been nagging us for a decent picture of us as a family.

Galena Tue 04-Jan-11 13:28:53

I gave my family copies of the latest pic of DD as well as their Christmas pressies - I wouldn't dream of giving them one INSTEAD. And they get one a year - at Christmas, not at any other time of the year.

I don't care really what they do with it - I just thought I'd give them it as a nice pic, but if they don't like it I wouldn't be offended if they binned it! I certainly don't expect it to be displayed. My parents and FIL both have the latest one on the wall, but don't display the earlier ones.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 04-Jan-11 13:29:35

There was a thread not long back where a teacher was given a gift of a mouse mat with a photo of his pupil on it as an end of term gift.

Some people are complete twats about their kids.

SeriousWispaHabit Tue 04-Jan-11 13:29:36

Except for grandparents surely? They like regular photos don't they? I wouldn't give them to anyone else though.

Honeydragon Tue 04-Jan-11 13:30:10

moondog - exactly what I was going to say grin

The framing of said picture and looking for them is somewhat sinister - what is their house like?

FWIW GPs tend to appreciate photo gifts, not so much BiL/Sil

moondog Tue 04-Jan-11 13:31:58

Good God, how fucking horrendous.
A picture of a kid from school on a mousemat!

Who are these peopel who fail to realsie that everyone else's kids/animals/dreams/dhs are in the main, nowt but a dull blur?

suzikettles Tue 04-Jan-11 13:32:41

Oh GPs are fair game for this sort of thing grin and many seem to like wallpapering their houses in grandchild photos.

Ds has two great grandmothers and a photo or photo calendar is our mainstay present on high days and holidays - at 90+ it gets hard to find anything else they'd like.

moondog Tue 04-Jan-11 13:34:22

I'll not be fobbed off by pictures of randoim snotty kids in my dotage, especially as i will be too well gone to remember who they are.

Chablis and posh flowers all the way please

Pumpster Tue 04-Jan-11 13:39:45

Ok for gps, not for anyone else!

newpup Tue 04-Jan-11 13:41:20

We always give the grandparents a photo of the Dds at Christmas because the school ones are taken then. But this is as well as a gift. When they were babies we framed them but now just give in the card frame they come in.

My sil used to give us a framed photo of her DD every year and I kept the most recent one out and used the other frames for photos of my DDs! I did not want 5/6 photos of my neice on display one is plenty. I could see why in-laws and parents would want framed photos but not us!

CharlotteBronteSaurus Tue 04-Jan-11 13:41:22

re grandparents:
when we get photos of the dds printed, we just ask MIL to help herself if she wants any.
sometimes she does
sometimes she doesn't smile

LadyOfTheFlowers Tue 04-Jan-11 13:42:52

I give gramp a framed pic of the kids about once a year (not as his actual present) as he likes to keepan up to date one on the wall, and my mother has a couple, but that's it.

curlymama Tue 04-Jan-11 13:48:01

Photos of children as presents should be reserved for parents or great grandparents only. And if you do give them to anyone else, it should not be in place of another present.

OP, pluck up the courage and tell her that you love the pictures and keep them in a special box or album, but that you don't want to have some space to put pictures of your own LO up. If she objects, she is unreasonable, and her feelings are not worth worrying about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now