Talk

Advanced search

to be pissed off with constant calls from work?

(13 Posts)
MissyPie Tue 04-Jan-11 11:23:58

I'm still on maternity leave and due to start back to work in a few months, however I have just answered the phone to my work yet again asking me silly questions...

I have being doing 1 "Keeping In Touch" day a month just to help out with something I chose not to train my maternity replacement how to do as that particular thing was too confidential, but surely that does not constitute employers and colleagues calling me at least once a week with silly problems...?

AIBU to just want them to sod off and let me get on??

moondog Tue 04-Jan-11 11:25:30

Don't answer the phone.I never do

mutznutz Tue 04-Jan-11 11:25:41

You are being unreasonable if it's only once a week and you chose not to train your replacement properly....yes.

ANTagony Tue 04-Jan-11 11:27:51

I had this when I had my first.

We then agreed that contact was welcome but would be via email, or work mobile (which I could turn off). I checked my emails daily, my choice, but it meant it was at my convenience not when I was feeding, napping or changing the baby.

You can put your foot down and say no contact but assuming you want to go back you need to find a system that suits you all and its no disadvantage for it to be highlighted what an essential part of the team you are.

charliesmommy Tue 04-Jan-11 11:28:04

I agree with Mutz. Supposing you got run over by a bus (obviously I dont hope you do.. lol).. but then who would do this "confidential" job.

You have made yourself indespensible, so they are not being unreasonable to contact you.

Mahraih Tue 04-Jan-11 11:32:31

YABU.

If you decided not to train your replacement on something and you are the only person who knows how to do it, what do you expect? They can't function without the information you CHOSE not to give to them.

Suggest you either suck it up, or create a handover document that you either give to the replacement, or a permanent member of staff that you trust to do the job.

MissyPie Tue 04-Jan-11 11:41:52

Sorry, I should've been more specific. It was a choice between myself and my employers not to disclose this particular part of my job to a temporary replacment and agreed that I would be contactable at any time to answer questions on this subject - I have often logged on remotely to provide information or clarification and have no problems doing so.

What I object to is calls from colleagues regarding matters that my replacement is well equipped to deal with, but they call me for second opinion.

classydiva Tue 04-Jan-11 11:47:50

When I had weeks off I used to go in every Wednesday to do the wages.

I had calls at 7pm and even when my maternity replacement never worked out went back to work for two weeks whilst they looked for someone else.

Think yourself lucky you are valued.

ChessyEvans Tue 04-Jan-11 11:53:57

Do you answer their queries when they call and provide the 2nd opinion? Perhaps you're being too helpful! If you are deliberately unhelpful when they call you on matters unrelated to the confidential stuff you agreed to deal with, then they might just stop asking you. For example, just direct them back to your replacement or somebody higher up. Can't be nice for your replacement either to have their decisions questioned.

mutznutz Tue 04-Jan-11 11:54:33

It's only once a week...I still can't see your problem, but if you don't like it then you need to tell them to stop?

charliesmommy Tue 04-Jan-11 11:57:15

I would tell them that its fine to contact you, but by email only.

pushmepullyou Tue 04-Jan-11 12:06:05

I'm pretty sure that you can't refuse contact - your company will be entitled to what is termed 'reasonable contact' with you during your maternity leave.

The potentially grey area is what constitutes 'reasonable' and if you feel that the contact that your company is having with you is beyond what us reasonable then this is something to bring up with your line manager in the first instance.

ginnybag Tue 04-Jan-11 14:03:35

I had several calls a day when I was on mat leave - that was unreasonable, but we were a small company and there was no-one else who could do my job.

Try running the payroll with your sleeping three week old in her pram next to you...

If you feel you are being taken advantage of, ask to speak to your manager about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now