(77 Posts)
altinkum Mon 03-Jan-11 19:40:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

altinkum Mon 03-Jan-11 19:41:08

BluTac Mon 03-Jan-11 19:42:56

They'll still smell it though.

TurkeyBurgerThing Mon 03-Jan-11 19:46:23

Not if you're quick to flush they won't!

Blu Mon 03-Jan-11 19:46:37

Presumably there is a prize?
So any old random tip will do.
"to save time while washing up, keep your washing up liquid cloe to the sink", etc.

BluTac Mon 03-Jan-11 19:48:08

It's more of a bottom tip really.

Grumpla Mon 03-Jan-11 19:50:14

I fucking love the top tips. Especially the Christmas themed ones where they make sub-Blue Peter decorations out of cotton wool and bog roll.

Or the ones where they use half a potato to do things you would never ever think of in a million years.

On a similar note I did read in the paper many years ago that some public lavatories in Japan have a "fake flush" next to the real one. Apparently it was to cut down on excess water consumption caused by people flushing to disguise the sound of the splosh. You pressed a button instead and it played a flush sound effect! I have no idea if this story is true. I like to think so.

altinkum Mon 03-Jan-11 19:50:44

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 03-Jan-11 19:52:07

There was a top tip once about cutting off jumper arms and putting them on a blanket.... Mr Slanket obviously took note.
There was one about making plant pots out of old trainers too. Haven't seen that catch on though!

BluTac Mon 03-Jan-11 19:54:46

There's a viz book of their top tips page that is really hilarious.

Blu Mon 03-Jan-11 20:17:49

My favourite MN Top Tip was a poster called Collette who revealed that so that she could carry on with practical tasks while her mother rattled on for hours on the phone she put a pair of toddlers tights on her head, slipped the phone underneath against her ear and then held it in place by knotting the legs under her chin.

Now there's a top tip.

PMSL at Bottom Tip

mrsmindcontrol Mon 03-Jan-11 20:19:27

I remember one from some women who was bored of her clothes but couldn't afford any new ones so took it upon herself to wind elastic bands around some sections of her t-shirts to create a natty new look.

TAB printed this fantastic tip along with a photo of her wearing abovementioned natty new look. Nice.

backwardpossom Mon 03-Jan-11 20:24:40

I liked one I read the other day, it went something like: "save money buying freezer bags by taking a few fruit and veg bags from the supermarket". I thought it was funny, but my dad said, "that's quite good, I'll have to remember that" (he wasn't being sarcastic). AIBU to be hmm ?

Someone's already mentioned Viz top tips - they are really quite funny:

CAR THIEVES: Don't be discouraged if nothing is on view. The valuables may be hidden in the glove box or under a seat

EMPLOYEES: Only use the loo at work. Not only will you save money on toilet paper, but you'll also be getting paid

exexpat Mon 03-Jan-11 20:26:31

grumpla - yes, it's true. You get them in a lot of public loos in department stores, offices and so on. Some make a flushing sound, some play music. You can even get a portable version. grin

BibiBlocksberg Mon 03-Jan-11 20:34:09

I remember the top tips from my former Take a Break magazine addiction.

There was a woman who'd cut the legs off of a pair of jeans leaving just the top waist bit.

Stitched up the legs, added a handle and hey ppresto a new handbag.

Trouble was, the jeans in question were really worn especially in the crotch area which gave the whole thing a real 'Ewwwww' effect.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 03-Jan-11 20:53:06

I remember the jeans one!
And someone who made a boob tube out of the waist bit of a pair of jeans. Lush.

BibiBlocksberg Mon 03-Jan-11 20:58:37

"someone who made a boob tube out of the waist bit of a pair of jeans. Lush"

grin - I missed that, sounds amazing hmm

There's being thrifty and then there's just taking it too far sometimes imo

BibiBlocksberg Mon 03-Jan-11 21:00:02

On the same thrifty note - remember the Grumps as well with their amazingly cheap tastebuds (snob smiley)

Are they still going?

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 03-Jan-11 21:04:52

I haven't bought magazines like that for ages. I must have a look.

ISNT Mon 03-Jan-11 21:09:39

These threads always cheer me up grin

altinkum Mon 03-Jan-11 21:15:52

Grumpla Mon 03-Jan-11 21:35:27

exexpat you just made my day! Hooray!

Do you think I should install one? Would that and the primrose yellow bidet be a bit much?

exexpat Mon 03-Jan-11 21:54:50

Well, I think if you're going to go for the otohime sound device, you really need to go for the complete Japanese toilet experience and get a Washlet as well. I miss mine - I was never too keen on the spray and dry functions, but the heated seats are definitely worth having at this time of year. grin

SarfEasticated Mon 03-Jan-11 22:12:24

Blu Mon 03-Jan-11 20:17:49

"My favourite MN Top Tip was a poster called Collette who revealed that so that she could carry on with practical tasks while her mother rattled on for hours on the phone she put a pair of toddlers tights on her head, slipped the phone underneath against her ear and then held it in place by knotting the legs under her chin.

Now there's a top tip."

Now this has made me laugh out loud - priceless

Mypombearisveryold Mon 03-Jan-11 22:17:00

I liked the one that was use empty pringles containers to store spagetti.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now