Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if anyone has ever been caught out by their AIBU

(46 Posts)
Silver1 Sun 02-Jan-11 01:17:28

I am just wondering what are the chances that the person you are describing reads these boards? We praise, whinge whine etc about your best mate, butcher, bridezilla relations someone must have been caught out at some time.
Do you ever worry before posting that you might be recognized?

smoggii Sun 02-Jan-11 01:24:36

I told my best friend I didn't want a baby shower, then on a forum (not this one) someone asked for good ideas for a baby shower, i made some suggestions. Another friend told my bestie that it was obviously i really did want one and that she wasn't doing her duty as a best friend if she didn't hold one for me. Fortunately she checked with me again, i explained i definitely didn't want one (I hate being the centre of attention and can think of nothing worse) I just had ideas what i would do for others if i was holding one.

It made me realise i do have to be careful about what i post on sites like this now that I have pregnant friends lol!

nilbymaaf Sun 02-Jan-11 01:27:42

ooh what have you posted about before on here?
I don't know, I don't think the posts on here are really whinge fests. They are more about whether or not the poster is entitled to feel aggrieved.
I don't think there is a risk of the defendant discovering the post. I have never noticed one about me confused anyway.

JaneS Sun 02-Jan-11 01:35:00

Yes, I have.

I bitched about something rather specific to do with my wedding, knowing that my family were highly unlikely to read MN.

Sadly, someone who knows our priest used to (no longer, I'm told!).

If you search under my name and come across a thread titled something like 'AIBU to be angry with this f***ing priest', you'll know why I cringed when I found out.

Memoo Sun 02-Jan-11 01:35:23

My moaning is usually about random strangers anyway

Binfullofmaggotsonthe45 Sun 02-Jan-11 01:44:30

I think so, I posted about a mum at dc's school forcing her child on my child to be friends.

On the Monday at school she didn't speak to me, and so it continued. Couldn't have been any other reason really. blush

Katey1010 Sun 02-Jan-11 02:33:39

Imagine the pom bear people must know... They are famous now.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 02-Jan-11 03:03:51

So how did your wedding pan out, LittleRedDragon? I've just read the thread you mentioned; I trust it was the RO priest who was told about the thread? Hope it shamed him!

YunoYurbubson Sun 02-Jan-11 03:21:19

I hope not. I alwaysbtry and change details though.

BreastmilkDoesAFabEggnogLatte Sun 02-Jan-11 04:49:55

I've been badly, badly caught out on netmums. So much so that I daren't even go onto the site with this IP address. Serves me right for using my real name when it's so distinctive.

MsKLo Sun 02-Jan-11 08:24:46

Tell us breastmilk! what did you say?!

OldAndUngraceful Sun 02-Jan-11 08:28:28

I must admit I am completely paranoid about being outed

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 02-Jan-11 09:44:44

Never. Luckily I don't live in the UK. When we do move back (probably around July) I will have to name change.

InterruptingCow Sun 02-Jan-11 09:47:44

I was caught out complaining about some people who let their children make a mess in a restaurant. Turned out one of them was a MNetter and saw my post. I was very embarrassed!

snoozysheep Sun 02-Jan-11 09:50:08

Ooh, interrupting, was that the Pizza Express one? The MNer in question said you wildly exaggerated didn't she? Said you said she didn't leave a tip or clean up when she did, didn't she? Is that the one?

What's your side on that one? I've read hers before you see!

RoadCraftGuru Sun 02-Jan-11 09:51:12

I remember that Interrupting. Wasn't it to do with the value of the tip as well?

Still think you had a point about the mess tbh... <stirs it again>

FrameyMcFrame Sun 02-Jan-11 09:52:21

Me!
I posted AIBU to tell my ex that I keep having sexy dreams about him. I got thoroughly flamed on here and told I was BVU then my DP read the thread!
Needless to say he was very upset, but it helped us in the end to have a proper talk about my unresolved feelings for my ex and the MC I had with him.

BreastmilkDoesAFabEggnogLatte Sun 02-Jan-11 09:52:36

<Tell us breastmilk! what did you say?!>

I was just having a very bad day and was ranting a bit, and the mods tracked me down in RL. To be fair, they quickly and graciously accepted they'd misread and misunderstood my post, but I'm still giving netmums a clear berth..

InterruptingCow Sun 02-Jan-11 09:54:02

That's the one, Snoozy! You've got a good memory. That was years ago!!! To be fair to her, they had little kids in highchairs who do tend to drop food. However, they dropped a LOT of food and didn't make any effort to clear it up (or at least I didn't see them). It was the waitress who cleared up after they left that said they didn't leave a tip but the lady said on here that she did.

RoadCraftGuru Sun 02-Jan-11 09:54:42

Breastmilk, they tracked you down?! shock

TheSecondComing Sun 02-Jan-11 10:09:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

swanandduck Sun 02-Jan-11 10:13:18

If I'm posting about someone I know I always change a slight detail to cover my tracks. Hope it always works!!

RueLaChesty Sun 02-Jan-11 10:26:54

i'm always worried as i have moaned about ils in past but now two sils are pregnant i worry they'll catch me
out.

Decided to name change from something that was too obvious. Although i might need to namechange again as it might still be obvious!

But, never been caught out yet!

JamieLeeCurtis Sun 02-Jan-11 10:29:58

I don't post about friends, and I don't think anyone could guess who I am (I am not Jamie Lee Curtis)

ragged Sun 02-Jan-11 11:45:25

Not on MN... but I was on a "Expecting Month X" antenatal email list (we did not have a confidentiality clause). When our babies were about 8 months old one of the other mothers switched her child to a speciialist formula because proteins in breastmilk were "undigestible".

I asked on misc.kids.breastfeeding (Usenet) if antibiotics could have caused the baby's weight gain problems instead, and if breastmilk proteins could be truly undigestible. It turns out they can (although it's very rare, and baby didn't present in a classic way at all). That should have been the end of it. I gave very few details, otherwise -- nothing you would recognise unless you were also on that Email list.

But the mother of said child saw my query and went Nuclear. I had a slew of private supportive emails after that, though, from others who thought she was off her rocker over-reacting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: