Talk

Advanced search

To think DB apologising on blog not enough

(23 Posts)
Notautomaticallysupportive Fri 31-Dec-10 14:31:47

for not sending anyone Christmas cards this year? He apologised on his blog to anyone reading it that he hadn't got round to buying any cards this year. I only noticed because I occasionally check his blog to make sure he's okay/still alive. I sent him a card, as usual, but I'm not going to bother next year. AIBU to think he could at least have phoned/texted to apologise, or even just to say hello?

YunoYurbubson Fri 31-Dec-10 14:32:40

Yabu. No one is obligated to send Christmas cards.

activate Fri 31-Dec-10 14:33:24

apologise for not sending a christmas card

now I've heard everything grin

StealthPolarBear Fri 31-Dec-10 14:33:49

I didn't get round to sending cards this year (although I did send to immed family)
Never occured to me anyone would care that much

curlymama Fri 31-Dec-10 14:37:56

I think it's nice to text if you're not doing cards, that's what one of my friends did because she made a charity donation instead.

But you are reading too much into it. He is not obliged to send cards.

whoknowswherethewindblows Fri 31-Dec-10 14:38:32

Hehe, I apologised on facebook for not sending any.

I didn't manage it this year, so sue me.

LOl at the idea of phoning everyone who didn't get one though - almost as much hassle as sending the bloody cards grin

MadamDeathstare Fri 31-Dec-10 14:47:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fairycake123 Fri 31-Dec-10 14:48:46

Wow. I didn't send any Christmas cards this year. Maybe I should apologise on my blog.

saffy85 Fri 31-Dec-10 14:49:12

Hahahaha. You've got waaay too much time on your hands OP to be worrying about this stuff.

and YABU. It's hardly crime of the century to not send cards.

cloudydays Fri 31-Dec-10 14:53:06

From your OP ("I occassionally check his blog to make sure he's OK/still alive") it sounds like you have a brother who is, in general, not great at staying in touch and who causes you worry because of this. I can relate as I have a brother whom I love dearly but who lives far away and has an infuriating aversion to phone calls/emails/facebook/letters. I'd love it if he kept a blog so I could check up on him!

YANBU for wanting your brother to make some effort to be in touch with you, especially at the holidays.

YABU, though, for thinking that anyone - immediate family or otherwise - owes you an apology for the specific omission of a Christmas card.

SheikYerbouti Fri 31-Dec-10 14:53:48

I don't send cards either. I resent paying ££££ for them, I don't have time to write them, and I generally CBA.

YABU.

ilythia Fri 31-Dec-10 15:09:43

I didn't send cards, or write them for the family I did see.

And I didn't apologise either.

I did help DD1 write cards for all her class, that was enough for me.

<<folds arms>>

YunoYurbubson Fri 31-Dec-10 15:21:29

Ooh hello sheikyerbouti. Have you had a mn break? I haven't seen you around for ages? Not that you'll know me, but I have loved your name for years and through various name changes of my own.

<--- reassuring, non stalkerish smile.

DitaVonCheese Fri 31-Dec-10 15:23:54

YABU. And a bit strange hmm

This year was the first year ever that I have managed to write and post Christmas cards. I posted them before the deadline and they are still just arriving with people now hmm

It's only a few weeks since I managed to take a card to a wedding and write it and AND hand it to the happy couple, so it's been a pretty exciting year for me card-wise.

I am 34.

Tortington Fri 31-Dec-10 15:24:18

he could have communicated with his sister in some form.

and for that yanbu.

i think the issue regarding the cards - is not the issue at all - but the faxct tht he didn't bother in any way

earwicga Fri 31-Dec-10 15:27:43

Where's the blog? I like his style smile

snowflake69 Fri 31-Dec-10 15:28:24

I dont send christmas cards cause they are a waste of card, postage and are pretty annoying. I dont care if I dont recieve them of people either. I just write it on facebook, text on the day, call them up or/and invite people round for drinks. I dont see the problem.

Notautomaticallysupportive Fri 31-Dec-10 15:56:54

Well, call me oldfashioned, but I'm very surprised at your reaction. I don't expect anyone to send cards if they don't want to, or if they think it's not ecologically sound. I just think he could have bothered to contact me, that's all. It's like saying Hello to someone and them not bothering to reply. To earwicga, you're welcome to him! I shan't bother at all in future.

snoozysheep Fri 31-Dec-10 16:11:38

Is this a windup?

We got about 25 cards this year. And now I have to thank everybody? Otherwise I'm...??

Your choice to send cards, his choice not to, stop being such a control freak.

DitaVonCheese Fri 31-Dec-10 16:12:22

YANBU to want some contact but it's really not like someone saying hello and the other person ignoring them. It just isn't. I think you're making it a lot more pointed than it actually is.

earwicga Fri 31-Dec-10 16:49:35

Ha! I don't actually want him, only the url to the blog. I already have two brothers I haven't seen over xmas or even spoken to.

SpringHeeledJack Fri 31-Dec-10 16:55:41

he he he @ Dita

I hate Christmas cards. Even getting them sort of depresses me, somehow

otchayaniye Fri 31-Dec-10 17:15:35

I don't do Christmas cards and make no apology. And like SpringHeeledJack, I sigh inwardly when I get one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now