Talk

Advanced search

to think that there are attitudes to non-MNers that would never be supported if it happened 'to one of ours'?

(21 Posts)
corblimeymadam Thu 30-Dec-10 21:42:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Habbibu Thu 30-Dec-10 21:45:17

Well, I know what you mean, but I think that's just people, rather than MN per se.

Silver1 Thu 30-Dec-10 21:46:08

hmm What are you referring to?

mutznutz Thu 30-Dec-10 21:46:27

Well I'm new here today...only made a couple of posts and I don't see it as 'cliquey'...well not compared to a lot of other similar forums but time will tell Lol.

I think speculation is part of human nature...especially somewhere like an internet forum, but I do know what you mean. It can go a bit OTT at times. I remember when Madeline MCann was abducted...the forum I used to post on at the time went into meltdown with some really weir and whacky theories...but it takes all sorts to make a forum smile

LoveBeingADaddysGirl Thu 30-Dec-10 21:46:52

And this different to the rest if life how?

southeastastra Thu 30-Dec-10 21:47:28

free speech and thank the lord for it

CurlyhairedAssassin Thu 30-Dec-10 21:47:49

And people say things on online forums that they would never dare say in real life.

southeastastra Thu 30-Dec-10 21:48:07

ahem thank mumsnet for it

MissQue Thu 30-Dec-10 21:48:12

This isn't the only forum that happens on grin

CurlyhairedAssassin Thu 30-Dec-10 21:48:27

Not sure what my point is.... grin

(too much wine....)

corblimeymadam Thu 30-Dec-10 21:49:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Silver1 Thu 30-Dec-10 21:52:00

The thing is no one on here has been spiteful and vindictive about the families involved, well maybe they have but not the posts I have seen.
It is human nature to support but also to speculate, if something BIG happened on your street I am sure people would be outside talking about it, but equally offering blankets and essentials if their neighbours needed it.

I dont know what your referring too, but im sure thats what makes MN a great place.

AgentZigzagGotAGoodGoosing Thu 30-Dec-10 21:55:55

I would wonder about anyone who went on an internet forum if their child had been recently abducted.

But if someone is asking for support and advice, then they're likely to get it, a thread with the OP trying to get her head round a senseless murder is going to get speculation about the crime.

letsfacethemusic Thu 30-Dec-10 21:57:27

I assume you're talkig about the young woman in Bristol who was murdered?

Personally, I don't want to pick over the details of that case, so I don't click on the threads.

There will be people in pubs up and down the land going over the details though.

You can choose to opt out of the discussions and I think you should.

AgentZigzagGotAGoodGoosing Thu 30-Dec-10 21:58:09

I'm presuming the OPs talking about this thread lisa, could be wrong...

oh i see, there are some real nutters here, I remember the MMcann threads.

I don't get how mumsnet can be cliquey? There is like a gadzillion of us all with different opinions. Mumsnet can at times be a big old hormonal argument, but not a clique, surely its too big and diverse?

there are some of us that have been here a long time, have met in RL, have each other on FB and spend way too much time here, I guess it may clique to some

scottishmummy Thu 30-Dec-10 22:14:43

whats upset you?loosely associated mn strangers will have varying opinions.and all better for it.and sometimes that brings feeling of allegiance and sometimes you will think what the hell

scottishmummy Thu 30-Dec-10 22:16:00

i have no desire to know anyone on mn nor meet them. suits me as anonymous blah blah.words on a screen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now