Talk

Advanced search

Teenage skin

(26 Posts)
shirljon Thu 30-Dec-10 09:28:01

Best facewash for teenage skin? I don't want to consult a GP just yet as I think that might be over-reacting. Just need advice from mums who have used a few face cleansing things for teenagers and know which are goood/no use.

prettymuchapixiegirl Thu 30-Dec-10 09:34:07

Clearasil is pretty good; I am in my thirties but do have a breakout of spots sometimes and it clears it up well. Those pads that you buy in a little pot, that exfoliate with one side and cleanse with the other are good, and you can get them for sensitive skin too.

RatherBeOnTheMulledWine Thu 30-Dec-10 09:40:22

DD aged 13.5 uses a daily wash from nutrogena, I think it's called visibly clear.

She is lucky ( touch wood) not to have too much of a problem at the mo, but does sometimes get a few spots around her period - and these seem to come on her forehead in her hairline. She uses freederm on these but that is very strong so it is used sparingly.

You will probably need to experiment to find something that suits. DD tried one thing that was too strong and irritated her skin. Good luck!

emsyj Thu 30-Dec-10 09:40:50

I like Clean and Clear, the one with the granules in. There are tons of rave reviews on here and elsewhere on the Internet of a soap and cream you can get from the Chinese herbalists - tho not tried them myself, might be worth a look and not hugely expensive. Also like Clinique facial soap, the special one for spot-prone skin - not cheap but it's very good and it lasts for ever. Try a gel called Silicol Skin too from the pharmacy counter - it wasn't strong enough for me but I know a few people who really rate it.

I am a long-term acne sufferer, can you tell???

penguin73 Thu 30-Dec-10 09:42:29

Clearasil Ultra facewash and either the overnight lotion or serum works well for DS - we really notice a difference if he doesn't use them for a couple of days. Serum also good if dabbed on any odd spots that do appear.

TottWriter Thu 30-Dec-10 09:43:33

Are we talking boy or girl? Only that might affect other factors givingthem acne as well, such as foundation, diet, poor hygiene etc. (My brother used to fight having a shower until he was about 16 - and then he'd stuff down the junk food behind my mums back...)

TottWriter Thu 30-Dec-10 09:45:15

My mum tried facial cleansing wipes from tesco for my DB which worked well when she got him to use them by standing over him holding them

fairtradefloozy Thu 30-Dec-10 10:12:26

I keep going back to the Clinique counter and buying the large cleansing bars. The initial outlay may give you an intake of breath (about £12-£15) but it lasts around 6 months. If you're spending £3 a month on a tube of Clearasil its cost netural.

They often have samples to try at the counter if you ask, otherwise try emailing clinique directly off their website.

I use the clinique toner too - again an initial outlay but lasts for ages, my large bottle has been lasting me a year because I don't use it every day .. only when things are looking like they're heading for breakout and it makes a real difference.

I sometimes use the Apri scrub to get a deep granular cleanse without too much abrasion.

Moisturiser important - the non-comodogenic (spelling? ... doesn't block pores) are the best for spot prone skin.

Bonsoir Thu 30-Dec-10 10:15:49

The Avène Cleanance cleansing gel has worked really well for DSS1.

welshbyrd Thu 30-Dec-10 11:15:07

OP I took DD12yo recently to DRs, her skin was not massively spotty, but it was making her sad, and down, gave her a fab skin wash, which has done a fab job, her skin is glowing.

CardyMow Thu 30-Dec-10 11:31:21

DD is nearly 13yo and uses simple face wipes for her makeup and then the Simple face wash. She hasn't had one spot since starting to use them.

NorwegianMoon Thu 30-Dec-10 11:35:21

most face cleaning products for spots dont really work, they destroy the top layer of skin that causes more distress to the skin and cleans away self cleaning oils.

a trip to the doctor will rid her quickly

emsyj Thu 30-Dec-10 11:50:13

Nice to see someone on here perpetuating the myth that spots are caused by being dirty. Lovely. And total bullshit.

swanandduck Thu 30-Dec-10 11:52:43

If it's hormonal, and the acne is bad, across the counter products are unlikely to work and could be a waste of a lot of money. I would talk to a chemist and see what they advise.

MissAnneElk Thu 30-Dec-10 12:13:18

Emsyj, agree. They're not caused by poor diet either. DD2 has had a terrible time with acne. Happily she is now improving, thanks to the dermatologist and some strong drugs.

Ray81 Thu 30-Dec-10 12:40:38

I am nearly 30 and suffer realy badly with my skin esp with TTC because of the hormones.
I use Nutrogena blackhead with micro beads it is realy realy good and got rid of my spots even though they were big white heads not blackheads and i have recommended it to a few people and they have said it worked for them too. It was recommended to me by a friend that suffered with lots of spots.

Maybe give that a try.

almostmadeitto2011 Thu 30-Dec-10 12:43:33

My dd has bad acne, 2 things that keep flare ups to a minimum - UV light (not easy to track down the sun at this time of year admitatedly) and simple soap and water. (That's the brand simple not plain soap!)

This was from advice of GP.

It works.

SpannerPants Thu 30-Dec-10 13:25:00

I used something from Lush called angels on bare skin - it's a paste of ground almonds and lavender and some other things, but it was wonderful for both clearing up spots and soothing my sensitive skin.

NadiaWadia Thu 30-Dec-10 14:57:18

DD developed acne about 18 months ago. She tried various things, regular facials with extraction, oil cleansing method, benzoyl peroxide, then clinique (I spent a fortune on their products over about 10 months). None of them seemed to do any good, some of them seemed to make it worse. The benzoyl peroxide worked initially, but then made her skin very tight, red and sore and flakey.

Eventually we went to the GP and he prescibed her Dalacin T Topical solution which worked very quickly and she has had no problems since.

Wish we had gone to the doctor's in the first place (and the prescription was free too!)

NadiaWadia Thu 30-Dec-10 14:58:44

Oh and she now uses lush products for cleansing, and this works fine.

bucaneve Thu 30-Dec-10 15:25:48

Gosh SpannerPants that angels on bare skin stuff sounds lovely I want to go out and buy some and eat a bit.

I've always found tea tree oil based stuff to work well on my sensitive skin.

Binfullofgibletsonthe45 Thu 30-Dec-10 16:05:29

Depends on the budget - isn't there a silver soap bar out there for problem skins? Op I would google as I have heard amazing things about the properties of silver in soap on clearing skin up.

I have sworn by Cetaphil for a long time, ask the pharmacist as they don't put it on the shelves. My skin was becoming troubled as I was using too harsh products, this is brilliant.

deaddei Thu 30-Dec-10 16:09:20

Dermalogica have a range of teenage skin care- Clean Start I think.

borderslass Thu 30-Dec-10 16:11:04

Depends on skin type what works for one wont work for another I'm afraid it's just trial and error.

TheVisitor Thu 30-Dec-10 16:14:14

Freederm facewash and gel. Doesn't contain nasty benzoperoxide or whatever it's called. They do need to use it regularly though, so you may need to stand over them whilst they wash! Worked well on my eldest son. If it does get worse though, then see the GP as kids really don't have to put up with bad skin these days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: