Talk

Advanced search

To feel odd about giving DS this vaccination?

(28 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:06:53

DS2 is 10 months. DS1 was vaccinated against Chicken pox at 12 months and I am taking him on Friday for his booster as he is now 3. Fine so far.

We are in the UK and getting this done as a private perscription via local GP's.

Anyway the GP said he would be happy to vaccinate DS2 at the same time as 10 months was not a problem as long as he has his booster later on.

I just have an odd feeling about it. I have read up on the vaccine at length but all that I have read says from 12 months. I am sure GP is right and its fine.....something just feels odd about it though......even more so when your paying for it if you know what I mean? AIBU?

Mummy2Bookie Wed 29-Dec-10 22:09:48

Why do you nee a chickenpox jab? Most children quickly get over chickenpox.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:21:55

Most but not all....

Garcia10 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:39:43

I personally wouldn't vaccinate my child against chicken pox. Unlike measles, german measles, mumps etc. it tends not to be that serious an illness (at least in childhood - when you are older it can be quite serious).

I trust our health professionals in this country and I believe that if it was thought that the vaccine should be part of the routine immunisation schedule that it would be.

I am not anti-vaccines, in fact I am very pro-vaccines and was involved in the development of the routine meningococcal group C vaccines, however I am yet to be convinced that a vaccine for chicken pox is reuired.

Garcia10 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:40:24

*required

3littlefrogs Wed 29-Dec-10 22:42:38

Ds1 was desperately ill for 3 weeks with chicken pox.

It is a horrible disease if you get it when an adult, extremely dangerous for immunosuppressed people and pregnant women.

I am glad there is a vaccine against chicken pox now. There wasn't when my dcs were small.

activate Wed 29-Dec-10 22:43:11

vaccinations do not carry lifelong immunity and chicken pox is milder in childhood than if caught as an adult

this is one vaccination I wouldn't give a child

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:46:18

activate but being around children with chicken pox his immunity will stay boosted as you and I are bloosted by children having chicken pox. So in the same way his protection will boost. Its been in use for 30 years now.

borderslass Wed 29-Dec-10 22:47:11

I caught chickenpox off DD1 when she was a toddler she wasn't ill with it but I was all 3 of mine had it not to badly, but DD2 had it 3 times the last time floored her for 2 weeks but even if there had been a vaccine I still wouldn't of given her it.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:47:31

obviously activate that is all the time its not routine in the UK.

mono3 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:47:57

It is a standard vaccine in many countries and I also am about to vaccinate my DC3 as other 2 had it as we were living abroad at the time.

But I do agree with you, I would feel a bit odd getting it done at 10 months and would wait till 12 months. Not that I have any medical background to base it on but just tend to follow the guidelines.

ReindeerBollocks Wed 29-Dec-10 22:48:44

There is normally an extra reason to get this vaccine - to my knowledge they don't vaccinate the majority of children, just those with special reasons.

DS got the vaccine (despite already having had chicken pox), because it was deemed safer than risking another outbreak. DD will be offered it too.

It's up to you OP - you must know the risks involved for your children. To my knowledge the vaccine hasn't changed in the last couple of years (I could be wrong). But I could be wrong and there must be another reason you are doubting vaccination?

activate Wed 29-Dec-10 22:49:28

yes admittedly exposure to the actual disease will boost the immune system -

IIRC and to lazy to google - Japan has double the length of immunity because there is wild chickenpox but that's still only 20 years at something like 90%

SofiaAmes Wed 29-Dec-10 22:50:19

I think it doesn't give any sort of lasting immunity if given before 12 months and is a waste of money/injection. My kids were born in the uk, but we were planning to return to the usa eventually, so I followed the requirements in the usa. They were very clear that MMR and chicken pox jabs given before 12 months would not be counted as they did not give any significant immunity. The instructions are very clear for not giving the chickenpox before 12 months...I would be a bit concerned about a gp who is that poorly informed about this.

Garcia10 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:50:28

tryingtobemarypoppins2 - if it has been in use for 30 years why is it not part of the routine immunisation schedule?

I would suggest it is because chickenpox is rarely (and I saw what you posted 3littlefrogs and I sympathise but that is not a normal reaction to a chicken pox infection) life threatening.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:51:19

ReindeerBollocks yes, DS2 age really. And whenever anyone mentions negatives about it in general!

earwicga Wed 29-Dec-10 22:51:37

If I had known a chicken pox vaccine was available I would of gotten my children vaccinated. It was horrible and they were both very ill with it. And there was no bloody need for them to have had it in the first place.

OP - wait until the 12 months if you feel uncomfortable.

FiveColdRingsForSolo Wed 29-Dec-10 22:54:20

What don't/can't they vaccinate against these days? soon there'll be one for ear wax and broken finger nails.

isw Wed 29-Dec-10 22:56:00

Dont have the exact info here to hand but here in spain it is offered at under 12 months with the booster i think 12 months after. Hope that helps in a vague way!

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 29-Dec-10 22:58:53

Really ISW! Oooo I'll look into that.

FiveColdRingsForSolo try telling that to someone whos child has died from it.

MumNWLondon Wed 29-Dec-10 22:59:25

they don't vaccinate here as apparently vacinating children increases risks of older people getting shingles.
link

earwicga Wed 29-Dec-10 23:01:21

From that NHS info:

'Chickenpox is usually a mild illness, particularly in children.'

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah. Not here it wasn't.

greenbananas Wed 29-Dec-10 23:09:47

Chickenpox is seen as a mild/normal disease here in the UK (can't say I've ever worried about it) but I've heard that it is taken much more seriously in America. We used to see measles as normal (my little sister nearly died from measles in the 1970s) - and now in the UK we vaccinate against measles.

SofiaAmes, that's interesting about vaccinations given before 12 months.

Northernlebkuchen Wed 29-Dec-10 23:12:46

Just ask the GP to wait till 12 months. Very sensible of you to vaccinate imo - chicken pox is a potentially very serious illness.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Wed 29-Dec-10 23:17:50

Just looked at Spains vaccination programme and its from 10-14 months....how odd.
SofiaAmes isn't that why children are given boosters though? To protect them whilst very young, then provide longer term protection?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now