Talk

Advanced search

To think this woman was being way to precious! (wince)

(40 Posts)
OTTMummA Wed 29-Dec-10 15:57:51

Was in boots today, it has 2 floors.
Woman went upstairs with baby in her buggy on the esculator as lift was broken.

She then asked if she could get someone ( member of staff ) to help her take the buggy down.

Staff told her she was more than welcome to use the staff lift, this was refused because " the staff lift is probably too loud and will wake up my baby "

Most of the staff in that i could see were a bit older, ( 45-50's ) and didn't look up to safely carrying a big buggy down 3 flights of stairs.

Thing is she had another person with her, presumably her DP, but obviously not sure.

I left before they came to an agreement, but it looked like boots staff were not going to do it.

AIBU in thinking the customer was being a little bit weird and precious ( hate the term, but seems apt )

How does she know the staff lift is loud? and why can't she go down the esculator ( not that you should really ) when she came up it perfectly fine!?

Im not bothered personally, each to their own, but felt a bit sorry for whoever was supposed to help her out.
Someone must of relented and done the job.

Megatron Wed 29-Dec-10 16:00:58

Maybe she's terrified of lifts but was too embarrassed to say. I could never go into a shop if I had to go in a lift but I certainly wouldn't expect other folk to carry a buggy down loads of stairs, though I'm sure the staff could have managed it even at their great age! (can you guess I'm nearing that age myself). smile

anonacfr Wed 29-Dec-10 16:02:50

FFS. If she didn't want to use the (kindly provided) staff lift she should have got whoever was with her to help her take the buggy down the stairs. Or got the elevator.

What an idiot.

waitwhat Wed 29-Dec-10 16:04:24

Sounts like a pleb. They offered her the use of the staff lift or got her partner/mate to help

waitwhat Wed 29-Dec-10 16:04:51

Sounds not Sountsgrin

TheMonster Wed 29-Dec-10 16:05:54

She sounds like a loon. Why should the staff risk putting their backs out when she has been offered the staff lift?

MadamDeathstare Wed 29-Dec-10 16:07:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BellsaRinging Wed 29-Dec-10 16:07:21

More to the point-why go up there if she was unable to get down under her own steam?

OTTMummA Wed 29-Dec-10 16:10:25

I can understand that she may be claustraphobic, or scared of lifts etc, but she could of gone down the esculator, she went up it, so am a bit confused on why she didn't do that.
Or the person with her could of done it, if they were able etc.

OTTMummA Wed 29-Dec-10 16:11:59

MadameDeathstare: I think that issue was why staff were hesitating TBH.
Plus is think they were a bit pissed about meing forced into an unnessecary position from their POV.

saffy85 Wed 29-Dec-10 16:12:44

The staff offered a solution, she chose not to take it. Imo this makes it no longer the staffs' problem, just hers. I have to admit that while I don't mind taking buggy up the escalator I hate taking it down- unless someone else helps me. By help I mean stand in front of it (DD has been afraid of heights for as long I can remember and gets anxious looking down from any height.

charliesmommy Wed 29-Dec-10 16:14:00

The staff were absolutely right to refuse. It would be against H & S if they had an accident.

The woman should have used the escalator to go down and got the person with her to stand in front, or she shouldnt have gone up in the first place without checking.

APixieInMyMulledWine Wed 29-Dec-10 16:16:46

I would have said no to the staff lift too. Been in One before and they are bloody loud, It scared the crap ou of ds.

I wouldn't expect the staff to helP me down the stairs though. I would've bumped or not gone up there in the first place.

OTTMummA Wed 29-Dec-10 16:17:12

Oh and sorry megatron!
I didn't mean to make you feel old!
TBH i am crap at guessing ages, but you could see the staff just seething, they obviously work hard enough without having to risk their backs because of this silly woman!

Ladyofthehousespeaking Wed 29-Dec-10 16:21:21

She was a stupid cow taking a buggy up an escalator in the first place. I actually work in a 2 storey boots store and I have to cover my eyes everytime I see some idiot doing it.

VallhalaLalalalalalalalaaaaaa Wed 29-Dec-10 16:24:45

YANBU to call the woman precious (or an idiot, come to that).

YABU to think that those of us in our mid 40s cannot carry buggues down flights of stairs.

Regardless of capability staff with any sense wouldn't carry her precious baby down 3 stes of stairs when there is a perfectly functioning lift available and, if they had even more sense, would tell her to stop being a princess and sod off.

FancyALittle Wed 29-Dec-10 16:24:57

Having worked at Boots, the staff lifts are often those jobbies you see in the movies - slide-across lattice as the front door, which does bang VERY loudly if you want to secure it properly and then you watch through the lattice as the floors disappear... (creepy!).

Still, it's daft to go up if you can't find a way down.

VallhalaLalalalalalalalaaaaaa Wed 29-Dec-10 16:25:45

Sorry for typos - came in from playing with dogs and am typing without having turned the lights on yet!

Ladyofthehousespeaking Wed 29-Dec-10 16:27:08

Why couldn't she lift the baby out, fold pram and walk???

I do wonder how some people manage to tie their own shoelaces every morning....

WimpleOfTheBallet Wed 29-Dec-10 16:29:00

She should not have used the escalator with a buggy...you're not meant to and there are usually signs to say so. Boots and other big companies need to start putting the kids things downstairs ffs.

Runoutofideas Wed 29-Dec-10 16:30:22

That's what I was thinking Ladyofthehousespeaking - especially as she had someone else with her who could presumably either hold the baby or fold the buggy....

TheMonster Wed 29-Dec-10 16:31:38

She said she was concerned about waking the baby up.

coco2901 Wed 29-Dec-10 16:38:57

I worked in a shop with 2 floors years ago and we weren't allowed to help people on stairs with prams. We could only offer to let them use the lift. Health & Saftey/ Insurance reasons...

Manorjane Wed 29-Dec-10 17:11:24

YANBU. Does sound a bit precious. BUT why on earth would 45-50 years old be too old to carry a buggy ? !! Not being sensitive just factual. At 49 I am no less able to do something like that than I was at 20. Do you live in the kind of world where women get fat and sit down all day when they reach 40 ? Seriously there is no reason whatsoever to be unfit or weak over 45. At all.

JamieLeeCurtis Wed 29-Dec-10 17:13:14

<hollow laugh at 45-50 being old>

that's all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: